Covid tracking app has not automatically D/L on all IOS iPhones UK

crashcris

I've just been made aware that somehow a Covid tracking app has been installed on all iPhones. It is switched OFF, but it is there. To find >Settings>Privacy>Health and you'll see it at the top.

Firstly, is this a little bit 1984, having such an app being downloaded without my requesting it?
Secondly, if this is an acceptable app to have, why on earth is it not being publicised and why are we not being encouraged to use it? I thought track and trace was the way to go and here it is on iPhones up and down the UK.
9A858FD7-D95E-41A1-ADFD-B257AB6B5C03.png

Toasty

Distinguished Member
Something similar will be on your Android phone too, checked mine and sure enough, it's there..

crashcris

It’s not an app. It’s a setting that enables a Covid tracking app to work IF you installed such an app.
It’s in the latest firmware of both iOS & Android
Thank you for clearing that up. I was going to suggest I delete this thread but perhaps having your link will alert others to its purpose and alleviate concerns.

mjn

Distinguished Member
Not on my phone.

crashcris

This was fairly well publicised over a week ago: Covid-19 tracing tool on smartphones is 'not app'

Agree good to keep this so people who have concerns can have them allayed. But perhaps with a small thread-title change, so it’s not…

PANIC PANIC HOW DARE APPLE DO THIS ANGRY PANIC
Reads thread
Oh, okay, that’s fine.
LOL, whilst I’d like to agree with you, I also think that within the context of my initial PANIC PANIC PANIC the title is effective in drawing attention to the topic even if the resolution is quite benign. Many might have been alerted to it without understanding its purpose. For instance- my brother sent me a YouTube vid of a (Nationally listened to) talkRADIO discussion where the ignorant host suggested this was a PANIC PANIC PANIC situation, this thread now clears that up. I’m happy to retain the title of the thread as it is. Thanks.

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
Must not be all iPhones - this is my iPhone 6

1593290697741.png

mjn

Distinguished Member

BrightonChris

Distinguished Member
It's not a firmware update. It's server side updates through Google and apple. The iPhone 6 isn't supported, I think due to a Bluetooth hardware issue. On android it's pushed server side by Google using play services. It doesn't need a phone or app update to appear.

hippo99

Distinguished Member
It's not a firmware update. It's server side updates through Google and apple. The iPhone 6 isn't supported, I think due to a Bluetooth hardware issue. On android it's pushed server side by Google using play services. It doesn't need a phone or app update to appear.
I’ve got an iPhone 11 Pro but still on 13.3.1, & I don’t have this setting on my phone.

John

Have amended thread title to be a lot more accurate

John

And unless you choose to download the app, there wont be