Covid Passports Be Trialed In UK

Vaccination passports for international travel have little to do with UK government and the traffic light system means nowt if the country you wish to travel to requires proof of vaccination to be allowed in . On the flip side I'd much prefer proof of vaccination on coming into the UK.
The point I’m making is that vaccination status appears to have no bearing on whether the uk government will require us to have three tests and to quarantine on return. I agree that it’s mainly just going to be an additional hoop for being allowed to enter another country.

They're already talking about how this is going to be an app on people's mobile phones and it won't be ready for months. So is the main motivation for this covid passport yet another way of moving £millions of public money to companies owned by friends on Johnson and other Cabinet members?

I bet it gets cancelled before it's even introduced (will we even need it in 4-5 months, given the numbers vaccinated by then?) and the money just gets written off.

Vaccination passports for international travel have little to do with UK government and the traffic light system means nowt if the country you wish to travel to requires proof of vaccination to be allowed in . On the flip side I'd much prefer proof of vaccination on coming into the UK.
On that point, the much-waved vaccine certificates book is a WHO document rather than the product of any national government and one would hope was outside of political bickering between our respective glorious leaders.

The point I’m making is that vaccination status appears to have no bearing on whether the uk government will require us to have three tests and to quarantine on return. I agree that it’s mainly just going to be an additional hoop for being allowed to enter another country.
If one is required to enter a country upon proof of vaccination then said country will undoubtedly be a green light one . As such why would one even contemplate travel to a red light country unless it was essential for them to do so.

They're already talking about how this is going to be an app on people's mobile phones and it won't be ready for months. So is the main motivation for this covid passport yet another way of moving £millions of public money to companies owned by friends on Johnson and other Cabinet members?

I bet it gets cancelled before it's even introduced (will we even need it in 4-5 months, given the numbers vaccinated by then?) and the money just gets written off.
Again it does not matter what our goverment says or does , it will be dependent on what a country wants on proof of vaccination status an who is allowed in .

On a domestic level a vaccine passport system is needed now to open up the economy. It also has to be a short term system so its a whole load of bollox that it will arrive late and outstay its welcome .

Again it does not matter what our goverment says or does , it will be dependent on what a country wants on proof of vaccination status an who is allowed in .

On a domestic level a vaccine passport system is needed now to open up the economy. It also has to be a short term system so its a whole load of bollox that it will arrive late and outstay its welcome .
You surely mean it's doubtful that Johnson's government will implement it before it's no longer necessary?

You surely mean it's doubtful that Johnson's government will implement it before it's no longer necessary?
Sorry , red wine and lamb lunch make Raduv a bit , shall we say incoherent ?

Yup the government app will be a bloated affair , to late in its implementation when no longer needed .

Sorry , red wine and lamb lunch make Raduv a bit , shall we say incoherent ?

Yup the government app will be a bloated affair , to late in its implementation when no longer needed .
And costing far too much whilst feathering the nests of a few select Tory backers who created/oversaw the thing.

Last edited:
How do you insure younger people who’ve not been vaccinated to attend football matches and other live events?

What happens when we all drink in the locals around stadiums like White Heart Lane, then enter the ground?

This is not going to be the last worldwide pandemic.
In theory, the Countries of the World should work together to create an interactive plan for dealing with the next pandemic.

Taiwan has had a total of 10 deaths, no lockdown and it's GDP grew in 2020.
Pandemics don't have to screw up the lives of the world's population, but we need to learn the lessons. Having some sort of ongoing medical status system that can be updated on a daily basis is going to be a part of that for the developed world.

Taiwan had a system already developed before the pandemic started, and they just had to activate it.

The world will need a similar system - either in a state of readiness or activated.

@IronGiant could this thread be merged with the other one, maybe with a change of name as with the Trump thread.

I fear we seem to be aping the style of a forum that had been closed and I like how AVForums is presented.

We are being tolerant for a bit, but adapting to the AVF style is being encouraged.
As in we don't need 20 threads discussing the same subject.

Gove has an article in the Telegraph this morning inviting comments.

I can only hope he takes heed of the comments and cancels this nonsense before chucking countless more millions of taxpayer cash down the drain.

I recall Gove being interviewed on the Andrew Marr show, when he specifically ruled out Covid passports. He has reaffirmed this via various media. Yet another U turn apparently.

Well done Denmark.
It's probably worth pointing out just in case anybody hasn't spotted it, that Danes have a somewhat higher degree of trust in their government than we do in ours.

SOTBO* no.243, provided free of charge, you're welcome :D

* Statement Of The Bleedin Obvious, Innit :p

Afaik when vaccinated you get a card that records your first and then your second vaccinations so in theory we could if we wanted to use that, you could take a pic of it on your smartphone.

If implemented in a real, usefull way, they will work, if they are just another hoop added to the other hoops you need to jump through , they are pointless.

With international travel you have 4 issues.

What the airline will require for you to board their plane on the way out.

What the destination country require for you to be allowed into their country and spend time in their country without restrictions.

What the airline requires if you to board your plane home.

What the UK will require from you to return home and return back to your normal life.

If you have both vaccinations and a covid passport to prove that, if any of the above still requires you to have had a negative test within a month or less, then the passport is pointless, and us just another money making scheme that will do nothing but prevent the poorer from living their lives while the rich travel the world.

If implemented in a real, usefull way, they will work, if they are just another hoop added to the other hoops you need to jump through , they are pointless.

With international travel you have 4 issues.

What the airline will require for you to board their plane on the way out.

What the destination country require for you to be allowed into their country and spend time in their country without restrictions.

What the airline requires if you to board your plane home.

What the UK will require from you to return home and return back to your normal life.

If you have both vaccinations and a covid passport to prove that, if any of the above still requires you to have had a negative test within a month or less, then the passport is pointless, and us just another money making scheme that will do nothing but prevent the poorer from living their lives while the rich travel the world.

I haven't read anywhere that you would have to pay for these passports?

Afaik when vaccinated you get a card that records your first and then your second vaccinations so in theory we could if we wanted to use that, you could take a pic of it on your smartphone.
Using the card would be simple enough. The only problem I have is that when we went for first vaccinations, they wrote our NHS number on it where the name should be (!!). I am not a number, I am a free man.

I haven't read anywhere that you would have to pay for these passports?
It will make money as it will require you to log your paid for tests on the system.

If it's free and requires no tests to be paid for to work, then it will be usefull, once it starts requiring you to pay for tests, it becomes a pointless rip off

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom