Covid Holiday Dilemma

davidjohnson

Distinguished Member
Thanks to everyone for their input.
Decided to cancel, Got my BA deposit and airport parking back in voucher form and the accommodation refunded in cash.
Will trudge around Durham and the Yorkshire coast instead :(

Flashy

Yes, I know. Even then are people doing them properly. Also, if the infection has moved to your lungs then a swab up the nose is useless.
There are three results: negative (meaning probably negative), positive (meaning almost-definitely positive) and inconclusive, with the latter one being the result of not done 'properly'.

Whatever it's worth from a rando on the internet, my sister is a nurse at the local GP. They tested a patient three times on three separate occasions. Swab up the nose and throat. All three tests came back negative but symptoms worsened. It wasn't until they took a sample from the lungs that it finally came back positive. Take from that what you will.

EDIT: I do not use Facebook.
A lung sample as in a biopsy? Performed by a GP? And why is a GP surgery swabbing someone as opposed to the patient doing it themselves like 99 per cent of people? Genuine questions, not being facetious.

Simian Sibling

Distinguished Member
As a nurse who has worked with covid from the beginning that’s the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard!
yes you can get false negatives but that’s due to poor swabbing technique and not the test. As for a biopsy.....it can be diagnosed with a chest X-ray and a CT scan.
there is no way they would risk doing a biopsy on a covid patient, even suspected, for more reasons than I can be bothered to list 😂

JimmyMac

Distinguished Member
As a nurse who has worked with covid from the beginning that’s the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard!
yes you can get false negatives but that’s due to poor swabbing technique and not the test. As for a biopsy.....it can be diagnosed with a chest X-ray and a CT scan.
there is no way they would risk doing a biopsy on a covid patient, even suspected, for more reasons than I can be bothered to list 😂

Agreed, as a person married to a nurse who has swabbed countless patients and staff at the hospital since March I would completely concur that its poor technique. As it was in the first lockdown its even more likely

IF you don't make their eyes water then the swab aint far enough up! Quite amazing how far up the nose it does go!

Simian Sibling

Distinguished Member
Make em gag and make em sneeze.....that’s what I teach students 😂

IronGiant

Presumably once it's "moved" to the lungs and can no longer be detected in the throat or nose the patient is no longer infectious :D :devil:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q800A Soundbar & Rotel Michi X3 Reviews + TV show and Movie News & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom