Covid Holiday Dilemma

davidjohnson

Distinguished Member
I know there are specific areas for travel and covid, but I hope this is okay here.

Firstly, we missed out on this year's holiday by 12 hours and 15 minutes due to covid, so we are both on the pessimistic side when it comes to these things

We have booked to fly to Rhodes on 7 June 2021 and whilst things may well have improved by then, the current rules are that we must both have had a negative covid test done fewer than 72 hours before our landing time in Greece.
We are due to land at 1645 BST on Monday 7 June. This means our tests must be done after 1645 on Friday 4 June. The last acceptance time for guaranteed next day delivery is 1630, so we have no way to get our test sent in time to get the results back. Even if we did, what if one or both of our tests are inconclusive?

That close to the holiday would be too late to cancel anything and get any money back, so we are thinking of cutting our losses and cancelling now.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

GeneticMutation

IMO, going abroad should be completely written off until Covid has finally done one. I appreciate people want to get away but seeing how certain Airlines are treating their customers I honestly don't think it's worth it. The UK has some beautiful locations and if the weather is nice then that's a bonus.

ssbib

Distinguished Member
Can you not change your flight? Or is there any option for one of those speedy tests that get you results in a couple of hours that you could do on the morning of the flight? Personally I think things will have significantly improved by then and I think that the test rule will be relaxed.

davidjohnson

Distinguished Member
Can you not change your flight? Or is there any option for one of those speedy tests that get you results in a couple of hours that you could do on the morning of the flight? Personally I think things will have significantly improved by then and I think that the test rule will be relaxed.
I have an option to change my flight/get a voucher etc.
All the fit to fly tests I have looked at involve having to post off the swab via Royal Mail and then wait for an email reply.

ssbib

Distinguished Member
I have an option to change my flight/get a voucher etc.
All the fit to fly tests I have looked at involve having to post off the swab via Royal Mail and then wait for an email reply.
Can you definitely not post it on the Saturday? Surely you can’t be the only person to have seen a similar situation to this. It would restrict the flying times too much if no tests were processed over the weekend.

Delvey

Distinguished Member
Also, how can we be sure the tests are even accurate when they're asking us to do them ourselves? Makes no sense to me! They wouldn't expect you to take your own blood so why is this any different?
The tests carried out at the testing centre are carried out by yourself.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
My lot did tests at a test centre at the weekend - drove up - handed a swap - took sample - gave it back. Results came by SMS/email the next day.

Ste7en

Distinguished Member
It's called a Global Pandemic for a reason.

I personally wouldn't be looking to go anywhere for quite some time. Furthest I've been this year is Northallerton (around 40 miles away).

davidjohnson

Distinguished Member
Can you definitely not post it on the Saturday? Surely you can’t be the only person to have seen a similar situation to this. It would restrict the flying times too much if no tests were processed over the weekend.
I could post it on the Saturday, but then it wouldn't be delivered until the Monday, which is the day we fly. We need the certificate to board the plane, so it would be too risky.
The restriction has just been introduced by the Greek government.

The Dreamer

Distinguished Member
It depends on where you’re travelling from. At Heathrow for example, you can walk up and have a test, with the results emailed to you within 30 minutes! We have to use it for various destinations (company pays) when we check in for work; for a regular passenger, I think it’s £70 or so - could be more!

davidjohnson

Distinguished Member
It depends on where you’re travelling from. At Heathrow for example, you can walk up and have a test, with the results emailed to you within 30 minutes! We have to use it for various destinations (company pays) when we check in for work; for a regular passenger, I think it’s £70 or so - could be more!
Thanks, we are flying from Gatwick and while I know there is a facility to be tested, but apparently you can't do it on the morning of your flight, it has to be a couple of days before.

Philly112

Distinguished Member

Heathrow is offering LAMP testing, which can give (not highly accurate) results within 30 minutes or so.
Greece requires PCR testing, which is much more accurate but requires hours of lab work.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member

Lee

I could post it on the Saturday, but then it wouldn't be delivered until the Monday, which is the day we fly.
We posted one on a Saturday and the result didn't come back until Thursday. We've posted a few and the time taken to get the results varies.

The Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Heathrow is offering LAMP testing, which can give (not highly accurate) results within 30 minutes or so.
Greece requires PCR testing, which is much more accurate but requires hours of lab work.

Yep - I’ve not used the tests myself, as our fleet doesn’t fly anywhere requiring them, so haven’t taken much notice of what’s what. But yes LAMP and HALO are the two tests that some crew have to do (I believe PCR used to be used, but that required an overnight lab result) - my wife did tell me the difference between each one, but as usual, I wasn’t really paying attention! :rolleyes: :D

edit: I do remember her saying that the tests only give false negatives (as much as 25% in error), but if they read positive, then you are definitely infected. It means that any test is better than no test at all!

I would push your holiday back if you can and go somewhere in the UK in June. The world picture will change very quickly in 2021 when the vaccinations kick in depending on the speed they can be deployed and their effectiveness. So we won't know exactly how it will change until it does. I'm not planning to fly anywhere until this time next year by which time I think/hope that things will be clearer.

JimmyMac

Distinguished Member
There’s a smiley missing isn’t there? Tell me there is and you don’t truly believe it’s useless swabbing the nose once it moves to the lungs?

Doug the D

Distinguished Member
Yes, I know. Even then are people doing them properly. Also, if the infection has moved to your lungs then a swab up the nose is useless.

Is there any way to evidence this please? This looks like complete poppycock to me and sounds like it's straight from the Encyclopedia Facebookia :laugh:

JimmyMac

Distinguished Member
Is there any way to evidence this please? This looks like complete poppycock to me and sounds like it's straight from the Encyclopedia Facebookia :laugh:

oh it absolutely is complete poppycock, there is no evidence because....welll...errr..biology

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q800A Soundbar & Rotel Michi X3 Reviews + TV show and Movie News & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Trinnov Audio announces Crestron Home driver
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Rotel announces upgrades to 14 and 15 Series amplifiers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on UK streaming services for May 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung's 110-inch Micro LED TV on pre-order at Harrods