Covid 19.Who’s had it?.

andrewt9763

Prominent Member
Reaction score
As title whos had it?,how ill did you become with it,what symptoms did you present and how long did it affect you?.
We’re both double jabbed and wife had the flu jab a few weeks ago.
Wife works in school and caught it on 8th October PCR test came back positive on 9th,symptoms very cold like,running nose,slight cough.
I was fine and this was backed up with a lateral flow test on the 9th and then again on the 12th both clear,on Wednesday 13th due back at work at 6am get up and feel slightly out of it,but been awake since 3am.
Decided to do a lateral flow just in case and it shows positive.
Organise PCR that day and confirmed as positive next day,i felt ok until Tuesday 19th then start with a cough and extreme tiredness,cough and the tiredness doesn’t seem to be leaving.
Isolation finished yesterday.
I can’t imagine what we would have been like without having had the vaccine.

Last edited:
I caught it in September, 6 weeks after my 2nd jab. Had a headache the first day, followed by 3 days of a sore throat, which made it very painful to swallow solid food like bread. By the 4th day the throat symptom started to ease off, and had disappeared the day after that. No other symptoms occurred, so fairly mild experience really.

As I'm considered to be in the vulnerable category, goodness knows how worse it could have been if not for the vaccine.

To my knowledge I've not had it myself, but I've just learnt that a friend's daughter has it. She's in her twenties, fit and healthy, been double jabbed and had Covid last year. My friend says she's feeling rough and lost her sense of taste and smell but otherwise OK. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for her.

It's kind of a worry though - to think she's already had Covid, had the vaccine but has still been floored by it again when she's young and healthy.

I haven’t had it but my fully vaccinated husband caught it a month ago. He’s never I’ll and it did lay him low for about three weeks. It started with a runny nose and sneezing so he thought it was a cold at first. Then he lost his sense of smell so took a test which was positive. The cough is still lingering on but he’s otherwise recovered. He’s a very fit and slim 60 year old. I hate to think how he might have been affected without the vaccinations.

Haven't had the vaccine, I believe in the natural approach, stay hydrated, proper nutrition, lots of vitamin c, lots of rest and my body will repair itself. I'm not up for a vaccine debate on it, this is just how I personally managed it.
Out of curiosity, does this mean you never take medicine? What would you do, for example, if you found out you had cancer and the consultants recommended chemotherapy?

Out of curiosity, does this mean you never take medicine? What would you do, for example, if you found out you had cancer and the consultants recommended chemotherapy?
Sorry I should have explained it, I was actually talking about preventative medicine, not emergency medicine.

Last edited:
It's ripping through the high-schools in my area at the moment. My son (unvaccinated) developed a cold but his symptoms were so mild (with no fever, cough or loss of taste/smell) that I never 'cottoned on', so it was a few days before we did his twice-weekly LFT and it came back as positive. We isolated him in his room immediately and a PCR the next day confirmed the result (mine was negative). It took 5 days before I also tested positive (double-vaccinated adult), despite him being isolated and me staying home to look after him (so not really coming into contact with anyone else) so it's most likely I picked it up from him. This suggests to me that, by the time your kids test positive, it may already be too late for other family members to avoid it. I have other friends with families in exactly the same position. Isolating and being careful around the house does appear to have prevented his sister from getting it though thankfully, although she's fit, healthy and has been vaccinated which all probably helped.

Symptoms for him were like a fairly mild cold, whereas mine were more like a really bad dose of the flu, including a high temperature (38.5 degC), aches and pains and sleepless nights for a few days, which subsided with paracetamol. I'm currently midway through my isolation period and still aching badly, plus I get a bit out of breath when going upstairs or doing household chores. I've obviously been lucky, relatively speaking, but I would not like to have dealt with the worst of those symptoms, had they been worse without the vaccine. Lesser symptoms include a dry mouth and things tasting a little odd, plus an occasional (but not continuous) cough.

Ironically, we received a letter today inviting him for a vaccine (ahead of the high-school program scheduled for November), presumably due to the rising cases in my area. Too little, too late for us, unfortunately !

If I could turn the clock back, I should have tested him a bit more often (at least every other day) and definitely at the first sign of his cold - if I'd have done so, I might have stood a better chance at being able to avoid it myself.

It's ripping through the high-schools in my area at the moment. My son (unvaccinated) developed a cold but his symptoms were so mild (with no fever, cough or loss of taste/smell) that I never 'cottoned on', so it was a few days before we did his twice-weekly LFT and it came back as positive. We isolated him in his room immediately and a PCR the next day confirmed the result (mine was negative). It took 5 days before I also tested positive (double-vaccinated adult), despite him being isolated and me staying home to look after him (so not really coming into contact with anyone else) so it's most likely I picked it up from him. This suggests to me that, by the time your kids test positive, it may already be too late for other family members to avoid it. I have other friends with families in exactly the same position. Isolating and being careful around the house does appear to have prevented his sister from getting it though thankfully, although she's fit, healthy and has been vaccinated which all probably helped.

Symptoms for him were like a fairly mild cold, whereas mine were more like a really bad dose of the flu, including a high temperature (38.5 degC), aches and pains and sleepless nights for a few days, which subsided with paracetamol. I'm currently midway through my isolation period and still aching badly, plus I get a bit out of breath when going upstairs or doing household chores. I've obviously been lucky, relatively speaking, but I would not like to have dealt with the worst of those symptoms, had they been worse without the vaccine. Lesser symptoms include a dry mouth and things tasting a little odd, plus an occasional (but not continuous) cough.

Ironically, we received a letter today inviting him for a vaccine (ahead of the high-school program scheduled for November), presumably due to the rising cases in my area. Too little, too late for us, unfortunately !

If I could turn the clock back, I should have tested him a bit more often (at least every other day) and definitely at the first sign of his cold - if I'd have done so, I might have stood a better chance at being able to avoid it myself.
Wife definitely caught it in school,half of them are off with it now.
Isolation ended Saturday,Sunday I didn’t feel too bad today my head seems like it constantly spinning.Food still not tasting right.
The cough seems to rear up when I walk around only.

Had it between 2 jabs (2nd had to wait a month due to it)

Was just like a mild cold. LFT was negative twice. PCR (done on site) was positive.

Spent a day feeling rubbish, then 9 days ordering then drinking wine via deliveroo!

We may have been in the first wave as we were skiing in Lech in the Austrian Alps at the end of Feb/early March. One valley over from Ischgl and just up the valley from St. Anton both of which were apparently Covid Central for much of Central Europe.

Too early for Covid tests unless you were in Hospital and we cut short our break when it was apparent we were both coming down with a yukky virus (Fever, Chills ...etc) which we assumed was either Flu or a bad cold as the Austrian Authorities were being very quiet that Covid was very prevalent in the ski resorts of Western Austria.

I got the horrendous cough, my partner didn't both of us got the sore throat, congestion ...etc.

Fortunately we had holiday remaining and just phoned in sick at work and limited contact with the outside world (once again thinking it was Flu)

it was about a week later that Austria closed the resorts and announced it had a Covid problem but by then we were getting better.

I'm wondering if I've got it, felt lethargic/easily fatigued and headachy for a couple of days and with a slight sore throat, can't pin down symptoms to any cold like illness I've efer had before, as it's neither developing nor going away. No congestion, no runny nose or sneezing.

Went online to book a covid test but have none of the critical symptoms, no fever, no cough, no change to taste or smell, without these symptoms I can't book a PCR test. I did a couple of lateral flow tests yesterday, (both negative), but by then I had the symptoms, which apparently renders them unreliable. I guess I've not got it, but symptoms vary so much in different people, and this is unidentifiable.

My family had it at Christmas before the vaccine. Caught it from the primary school I worked at, there 7 staff members altogether. I was the worst. We didn't have the main symptoms, no cough, no lose of taste or a temperature. Just felt ill, my whole body hurt, very tired and couldn't move very far without being exhausted. Had to sleep sitting up. I had sickness, and couldn't keep water down. That lasted for 10 days until my daughter rang 111 and I managed to get some anti sickness tablets. Never slept so much. Walking became a real effort, especially stairs. Brain fog was terrible. I tried going back to work, but it was too much so I took early retirement in April. It was the worst thing I've ever experienced.

Haven't had the vaccine, I believe in the natural approach, stay hydrated, proper nutrition, lots of vitamin c, lots of rest and my body will repair itself. I'm not up for a vaccine debate on it, this is just how I personally managed it.

Which involved putting yourself through a very unpleasant experience, frightening your wife, and taking up some of the NHS's time. And all of those, needlessly; if you'd had the vaccine, you would very likely have greatly mitigated those first two points, and avoided the third altogether.

There's nothing to debate. You've made the wrong decision on this particular matter, and that's all there is to say about it. But I am glad that you made a good recovery.

Which involved putting yourself through a very unpleasant experience, frightening your wife, and taking up some of the NHS's time. And all of those, needlessly; if you'd had the vaccine, you would very likely have greatly mitigated those first two points, and avoided the third altogether.

There's nothing to debate. You've made the wrong decision on this particular matter, and that's all there is to say about it. But I am glad that you made a good recovery.
EDIT : not going to bother, like I said, I'm not debating it.

Last edited:
EDIT : not going to bother, like I said, I'm not debating it.

That's absolutely fine - like I said, there's nothing to debate. The decision not to be vaccinated is simply a bad one. There is no flip side. But again, the good news is that you and your loved ones didn't pay too heavy a price for it. Not like some people have, and are continuing to do.

Brother had it, from start to finish 3 weeks. He's unfit and overweight.
Both employees had it young 18, and 28, fever, then all back to normal in 2 days. Both men very fit.

Touch wood, I've managed to evade it so far but I know a few who have had it.
My sister in law contracted it last spring, she was very fit and healthy, her only health issue was mild asthma and she was only 59, sadly she passed away after two weeks on a ventilator.
My brother and his wife and daughter were the next to catch it last summer, his wife lost her sense of smell and taste, daughter had a slight cough but my brother was totally floored by it for a good month, he came close to needing the hospital as his breathlessness was concerning, he's early 50s but superfit so it came as a shock to him to be so ill.
My parents were the next to get it, my mum caught it in hospital this time last year where she was being treated for a spinal tumour, she was sent home to recover from having bone cement injected into her spine and became quite poorly quite quickly though none of us suspected it was covid, her legs swelled up like balloons and she had terrible abdominal pain, she was taken back to hospital and tested positive for covid. Her breathing was unnaffected but the infection caused a perforation in her bowel, blood clots in her legs, sepsis and ultimately a bleed on the brain, she passed away at the age of 75. She passed on covid to my dad but thankfully after a month of coughing, no appetite, no taste or smell, no energy, breathlessness etc he recovered which is very lucky as he is 78.
Two of my friends have also had it, one is CEV and was asymptomatic, only knew she had it as her daughter tested positive after catching it at school so took a test, she's 10 and was poorly for a couple of weeks but not seriously so, just under the weather with flu type symptoms.
The other friend is double jabbed but unfortunately still ended up in hospital but thankfully it was only a two day stay and she's back home now, she is double jabbed but very overweight. I don't think she'd be still here if she'd not been double jabbed.

I get a bit scared for people who rely on their immune systems to see them through, immune ssystems can act a little crazy when faced with a novel virus as my poor mum discovered.

I've got it now. I'm a wedding photographer so mixing with people all the time. It's taken 40 weddings since lockdown eased to catch it. I'm double jabbed and really not feeling well at the moment. I dread to think what I'd have been like without the vaccines. Started with a really bad headache, then slight temperature. Ended up feeling like I'd got a mild case of flu. Now it's my breathing and I can't taste anything!

I've got it now. I'm a wedding photographer so mixing with people all the time. It's taken 40 weddings since lockdown eased to catch it. I'm double jabbed and really not feeling well at the moment. I dread to think what I'd have been like without the vaccines. Started with a really bad headache, then slight temperature. Ended up feeling like I'd got a mild case of flu. Now it's my breathing and I can't taste anything!
Wishing you a speedy recovery, we've a lot to be thankful for with these vaccines.

My 15 year old daughter was positive early September. One week after schools went back. She was tired and had cold like symptoms with lost of taste and smell.

On 20th October she was allowed the vaccin and took it.

In a perverse manner it was good that she had it as it allowed her to travel with just a single vaccination as the UK doesn’t allow double vaccinations for children. But other countries regard having had Covid with a single vaccination the same as fully vaccinated. So all ended well and we managed to travel just fine for half term.

My 12 year old had it a month ago - not jabbed, she had a headache and felt under the weather for a week, all good now.

I also caught it about a week after her (not from her though as I was isolated from her).

I’ve not been jabbed (and not interested in a debate either), started with a sore throat, mild cough and just felt lousy - lots of aches. Also had the runs on day one and a bit of vomiting as well, so wasn’t very nice.

Spent the first weekend in bed…just exhausted and constantly thirsty, but I went back to work on the Monday (obvs from home) and worked every day through it. Just at lunchtimes or when I felt really bad I crashed out in bed for an hour.

Lost my sense of smell too but that’s not unusual for me as I do have sinus problems.

Took me 12 days to recover, only thing I wish I’d done was to rest properly rather push through as I think it slowed my recovery (I took one day off in the end).

I’ve had flu once before and it was worse than this, but it was an interesting experience.

I've not had it but my daughter had it in September despite being fully vaccinated. She works for the NHS so she has to do a test twice a week which is the only reason she knew it was covid. Without the test she would have thought she just had a heavy cold.

She doesn't live with us so we weren't at risk, but she had to spend her birthday stuck at home because it fell during her self isolation period.

Just had a positive result back

on sunday i had a very very mild dry cough then monday had the 💩 and then yesterday i had no taste or smell so decided to go for a test, i feel a bit weak but apart from that nothing major

isolation now, which means i'm going to have a crap birthday on friday :(

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom