COVID 19 VACCINES & ALLERGIES

Drongo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have previously read that people who have serious allergic reactions should not have the COVID vaccine.

This follows two healthcare workers having reactions in the early days of the vaccine rollout.

I have a number of health issues that would mean that if I got infected with COVID19, the consequences would be serious and so I want to get vaccinated. However. several years ago, I had a very serious allergic reaction after eating Amber Raspberries. After allergy tests, I tested as being mildly allergic to normal raspberries, tomatoes and certain grass pollens.

It seems that guidance has been revised to say that you should not have the COVID vaccine unless you have had a previous reaction to it or are allergic to its components.

I have no knowledge of the specific component of Amber Raspberries that I am allergic to, nor whether it is present in the COVID 19 vaccine.

I have had the ‘Flu vaccine every year for many years without I’ll effect.

If you were in my situation, would you be unduly worried about getting a COVID 19 vaccination?

My wife has extreme allergic reactions and she's just had hers this morning.

I believe it's mainly the Pfizer one that has the issue with allergic reactions so she was advised to not have that one but I think she's had the Astra Zenica one today.

I guess just check with your doctor. They can advise. They also make you wait 15 minutes to see if you have a reaction. I think the risk is fairly low though

Thanks, that’s useful and reassuring.

:smashin:

Do all the vaccines contain the same ingredients.

I know my mum cannot have certain flu vaccines due to allergies but she had the Oxford covid vaccine a few weeks back without any side effects.

My father in law who had covid back in April had the vaccine earlier this week but was sick from it, he couldn't keep any food down for 48hrs.

My daughter had the vaccine on Saturday but only had a sore arm.

Do all the vaccines contain the same ingredients.

I know my mum cannot have certain flu vaccines due to allergies but she had the Oxford covid vaccine a few weeks back without any side effects.

My father in law who had covid back in April had the vaccine earlier this week but was sick from it, he couldn't keep any food down for 48hrs.

My daughter had the vaccine on Saturday but only had a sore arm.

Thanks.

I think (but don’t know) that two vaccines differ slightly in their ingredients.

Here’s some info:

But I’m no expert, so it’s all meaningless to me.

Thanks.

I think (but don’t know) that two vaccines differ slightly in their ingredients.

Here’s some info:

But I’m no expert, so it’s all meaningless to me.
I'm assuming they do as my mum says she couldn't have the Pfizer one.

As @TayWax says it would probably be safer to check with your doctor who can confirm what you can have.

As @TayWax says it would probably be safer to check with your doctor who can confirm what you can have.

I agree, but unfortunately my surgery are not accepting calls relating to the vaccine as they’ve been inundated with so many vaccine enquires.

I agree, but unfortunately my surgery are not accepting calls relating to the vaccine as they’ve been inundated with so many vaccine enquires.
When they contact you to book you in you should be able to query it then.

When they contact you to book you in you should be able to query it then.

You’re right, and if I haven’t spoken to anyone before then, I’ll do that.

I realise it is all a question of balancing risks. My health problems mean that I’m far more concerned about COVID19 than I am to an adverse allergic reaction.

I know from bitter experience, that even in the very unlikely event of having a severe allergic reaction, that an adrenaline injection will likely prevent me from expiring. That said, it’s a choice between two potentially unpleasant and fatal options.

Are you saying there was a 'choice' between the AZ and the Pfizer on the day? i.e. the vaccine centre had both types available.

Are you saying there was a 'choice' between the AZ and the Pfizer on the day? i.e. the vaccine centre had both types available.
I'm not sure, all I know is she had to have the Oxford one and the care home she works at booked her in to have that vaccine.

Check with your GP and get a proper opinion on your vulnerabilities. They will be able to select vaccines dependent on risk, so don't just roll up at a vaccination centre expecting a choice that you aren't qualified to make.

Here's a paper from the CDC in the USA on severe adverse reactions to vaccine. 11.1 per million doses and no connected deaths from anaphylaxis. 71% of bad reactions occur within 15 mins.

Of the 21 cases in 1.8 million, 17 had a history of severe anaphylactic reactions.

To put that in perspective, the UK has 1400 deaths per million from COVID.

Check with your GP and get a proper opinion on your vulnerabilities. They will be able to select vaccines dependent on risk, so don't just roll up at a vaccination centre expecting a choice that you aren't qualified to make.

Here's a paper from the CDC in the USA on severe adverse reactions to vaccine. 11.1 per million doses and no connected deaths from anaphylaxis. 71% of bad reactions occur within 15 mins.

Of the 21 cases in 1.8 million, 17 had a history of severe anaphylactic reactions.

Good advice, and thank you for the very helpful and informative information :smashin:

Although anaphylaxis is reported to be 8.5 times higher with Pfizer vaccine than with flu vaccinations.

From December 14-23, 2020, following administration of 1,893,360 doses of vaccine, the CDC identified 21 case reports meeting criteria for anaphylaxis (estimated rate, 11.1 cases per million doses). Four patients (19%) were hospitalized, including three in intensive care, and 17 (81%) were treated in an emergency department. At the time of reporting, 20 patients (95%) were known to have recovered or been discharged, and no deaths were reported. Median interval from vaccine receipt to symptom onset was 13 minutes (range, 2-150 minutes), with 71% of events occurring within 15 minutes and 86% within 30 minutes.

By way of comparison, cdc.gov reports that the rate of anaphylaxis following influenza vaccines is 1.31 per million doses, so the rate with the COVID vaccine is ~8.5-fold greater. However, these initial data regarding the Pfizer vaccine in real-world settings remain encouraging, and the risk of anaphylaxis with vaccination will be far outweighed by the risk of severe COVID-19 without vaccination for most patients.

Allergic Reactions After First Dose of Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine - American College of Cardiology

Although anaphylaxis is reported to be 8.5 times higher with Pfizer vaccine than with flu vaccinations.

From December 14-23, 2020, following administration of 1,893,360 doses of vaccine, the CDC identified 21 case reports meeting criteria for anaphylaxis (estimated rate, 11.1 cases per million doses). Four patients (19%) were hospitalized, including three in intensive care, and 17 (81%) were treated in an emergency department. At the time of reporting, 20 patients (95%) were known to have recovered or been discharged, and no deaths were reported. Median interval from vaccine receipt to symptom onset was 13 minutes (range, 2-150 minutes), with 71% of events occurring within 15 minutes and 86% within 30 minutes.

By way of comparison, cdc.gov reports that the rate of anaphylaxis following influenza vaccines is 1.31 per million doses, so the rate with the COVID vaccine is ~8.5-fold greater. However, these initial data regarding the Pfizer vaccine in real-world settings remain encouraging, and the risk of anaphylaxis with vaccination will be far outweighed by the risk of severe COVID-19 without vaccination for most patients.

Allergic Reactions After First Dose of Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine - American College of Cardiology
Yup, we've been running flu vaccines for years. No doubt as we get more info on what people are reacting to in the covid vaccines we may be able to refine it.

The point I was trying to make was that risks due to anaphylaxis are orders of magnitude less than COVID risk. The initial guidelines on avoiding the new vaccines if suffering from allergies, look like they are changing as we gain quantity of information from the vaccination programmes around the world.

Please don't worry about this while you are waiting for your turn to be called for a vaccine. I've volunteered at a couple of Vaccination Centres and you will find that when you turn up for your appointment you will be assessed by a heathcare professional who will ask you all about your medical history, explain the possible side effects and involve the doctors if you are particularly at risk of any issues. You of course have the option to no give your consent and not get an injection.

You can wait around after your jab to make sure all is well Mostly serious issues arise quickly after the injection and the centres are set up to make sure you come to no harm but in every eventuality there are a lot of medical professionals on hand to help you.

Generally each clinic will offer one type of vaccine and you get a record of the type and the batch number involved.

Please don't worry about this while you are waiting for your turn to be called for a vaccine. I've volunteered at a couple of Vaccination Centres and you will find that when you turn up for your appointment you will be assessed by a heathcare professional who will ask you all about your medical history, explain the possible side effects and involve the doctors if you are particularly at risk of any issues. You of course have the option to no give your consent and not get an injection.

You can wait around after your jab to make sure all is well Mostly serious issues arise quickly after the injection and the centres are set up to make sure you come to no harm but in every eventuality there are a lot of medical professionals on hand to help you.

Generally each clinic will offer one type of vaccine and you get a record of the type and the batch number involved.

Thank you very much.

That’s very helpful and reassuring, I really appreciate you posting. :smashin:

I thought I would quickly update the thread.

I received a text message asking me to book an appointment for a COVID 19 vaccination. I called my surgery and insisted that I speak to my GP prior to getting vaccinated. We had a quick chat, but he was of the same mind as me i.e., the vaccination was not risk-free, but it was far more likely that I would be harmed by COVID. So, I made an appointment and I was vaccinated yesterday.

I was actually surprised that the doctor I saw (not my usual GP) glossed through my health history and seemed unconcerned about my previous severe allergic reaction. I was vaccinated with the AZ vaccine and they didn’t even bother with the 15-minute observation period that I was expecting. I was just asked not to drive my car for 15 minutes, just to be safe. That was it.

I was told that my arm would probably be painful for some time (it is!) – my only other reaction, was a very tight chest, which lasted the rest of the day. It was not eased by the use of my asthma ‘reliever’ inhaler. I can’t be certain, that the vaccine was responsible. It may have the stress I was feeling just in case I did have an allergic reaction, or even the cold (it was -2 degrees C) when I went to the surgery, both things that can trigger my asthma.

Anyhow, it’s done and dusted now, worry over.

Thanks, everyone for all your input, it’s been very helpful.

Well Done :thumbsup:

I thought I would quickly update the thread.

I received a text message asking me to book an appointment for a COVID 19 vaccination. I called my surgery and insisted that I speak to my GP prior to getting vaccinated. We had a quick chat, but he was of the same mind as me i.e., the vaccination was not risk-free, but it was far more likely that I would be harmed by COVID. So, I made an appointment and I was vaccinated yesterday.

I was actually surprised that the doctor I saw (not my usual GP) glossed through my health history and seemed unconcerned about my previous severe allergic reaction. I was vaccinated with the AZ vaccine and they didn’t even bother with the 15-minute observation period that I was expecting. I was just asked not to drive my car for 15 minutes, just to be safe. That was it.

I was told that my arm would probably be painful for some time (it is!) – my only other reaction, was a very tight chest, which lasted the rest of the day. It was not eased by the use of my asthma ‘reliever’ inhaler. I can’t be certain, that the vaccine was responsible. It may have the stress I was feeling just in case I did have an allergic reaction, or even the cold (it was -2 degrees C) when I went to the surgery, both things that can trigger my asthma.

Anyhow, it’s done and dusted now, worry over.

Thanks, everyone for all your input, it’s been very helpful.
Good for you squire, glad it’s gone well. :clap::clap:

I'm interested in if you should have the vaccine if you've got long Covid .

Good question I don't know the answer, but I would have thought it shouldn't be a problem.

I think you may get a better response to your question if you started a specific thread regarding Long Covid & Vaccination, as your question isn't specifically related to allergies.

I'm interested if you should have the vaccine if you've got long Covid .
Covid in March last year has left me with fatigue, breathing problems and cough along with breathlessness on any exertion. I'm now having to use a steroid/bronchodilator inhaler to treat the lung inflamation along with topup asthma inhaler (although told by GP I don't have asthma).

I've had the AZ vaccine and noticed little ill effect apart from the common sore arm for a few days.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom