1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coverting .ts files

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by museumsteve, Jul 5, 2004.

1. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,008
    Is it worth converting .ts files to another format? What I mean is would there be any benefit of doing this and of so what would preferred format be. I only ask cos I am struggling a bit running .ts with elecard and VLC. I've looked around and ended up trying Media Player Classic with elecard codec (which gives okay results).
    Also, as Xbox will output 1080i could it be worth converting to a format Xbox (modded of course) would recognise and running it through xbox media centre.

2. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,504
    Would the xbox have the horsepower to do hidef stuff whatever the format? The reason I'd like to convert .ts stuff to another format is cos it takes up too much damn room! I'd love to convert it to WM9 so I can get each film on one DVD but I haven't found any easy way of doing it as yet.

Cheers,
    Andy.

3. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,008
    really not sure mate..hence mine was really an open ended question. I dont see why Xbox cant handle the stream, but then I'm no expert. I've been playing with vlc tonight and set up Xbox to see a stream okay. Running debug messages it shows that it sees xbox trying to pick up the files, then I did get perfect audio (DD) but no picture. I assume it could be a codec issue but from what I can gather vlc handles the codecs and xbox would only be a port to the display device. I cant see anyway of adding codecs to vlc anyway (so I was a little stumped cos the codec codes when using stream wizard in vlc dont really say much).
    I have a day off tomorrow so fancy playing some more anyway..it's all fun :)

4. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I don't think Xbox will manage to handle HD movies. Why? Well, it only has a 700MHz processor which just won't be enough to drive the stream. Also, your network will struggle to deliver some of the higher bandwidth stuff. The WM9s should be OK but some of the .ts is just too high bandwidth to stream successfully over a 100Mbps (12MBps'ish) ethernet cable.

Have you tied HDTV2MPEG or ProjectX. Both have the ability to convert file types and re-encode but not sure all the types they handle. (ProjectX certainly converts .ts to .mpg no probs but I don't think it does any compressing of the files which is what would be neede for zAndy1's query.

5. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339