1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Covering Wires

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Hicksy, Aug 5, 2004.

1. Hicksy

Hicksy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys, ABout to wall mount my Plasma but unfortunately my sockets are on the tv itself and will mean having 3 wires dripping from the bottom of the tv!

As I am new to the world of flat panels (and the associated problems!!), can anyone suggest the common way of hiding these wires?

Much app.

2. sabujo

sabujo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess that depends if wheter or not you are willing to soil your hands with plaster and paint.

3. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    There are a multitude of ways depending on your needs and where it is mounted. Some people just use trunking or use some sort of pole to make it look like the plasma is being held up by the poles and put the wires inside them. If you want a more professional (and permanent) method you get cut out your plasterboard, put the wires behind the wall (possibly through a tube to allow you to add remove them at a later date?) and then replaster the wall and with the wires hidden behind it.

I'm personally going to make a feature out of mine, I've not got round to it yet but I'm going to make a lighting feature out of MDF with a channel down the middle with space for the wires. It's hard to explain until I actually do it, but basically it will have an MDF front (with the wires behind) and light coming out the side, to subtly light the wall my plasma is how to prevent eye strain in a dark room. I'm hoping it'll look pretty neat when it's finished...

4. Hicksy

Hicksy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh didn't you post a thread about that before? Blue neon lights etc?

Do you think it will be expensive? Difficult?

5. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    No that's not me, though I no the project you are referring too. Mine will be far less fancy (and less expensive!)

Basically the plan is to get two strips of wood screwed to the wall from directly under my plasma to where my AV cabinet starts. I will then place the wires from the screen between the two pieces of wood. I will then get some cheap strip lights from Ikea (they have quite a wide range of this type of lighting) and screw them to the side of each piece of wood with a very low level bulb, maybe coloured not decided yet. Then I will get a piece of MDF about a foot wide paper it with some lining paper and paint it the same colour as the wall. The MDF will obviously overlap at each side and completely cover the lights. The effect will hopefully an almost invisible panel as it's wall coloured, that will provide an interesting/cool low level lighting effect for watching in films in a dark room. I will post up what it looks like once I've done it.

I'm doing it this way because a) I wanted some low level light that didn't reflect on the screen b) I didn't want to dig out my wall and redecorate and c) I wanted to get at my wires whenever I wanted too, this way I simply unscrew the MDF panel and all my wires are accessible...

The lights will be about £5 each wood and bulbs no more than £10. So the whole effect should cost about £20 and hopefully be really effective!

6. Hicksy

Hicksy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for that, sounds good.

You must let me know how it goes.

7. Andy_K

Andy_K

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a go at cutting out the plaster board and inserting a pipe into the wall at the weekend - My experiences were mixed. I had to chop through a horizontal baton in the wall to get my pipe down, which was a bit worrying at first. Also everything was a bit more messy than I thought.

Bought some ready made plaster, which made it easier and made a small frame of wood inside the wall to support my new board which was only 10cm x 2M.

Overall it seems to have turned out well, though there were some scary moments. Still have to paint it this weekend, but think it will look decent enough.

I'm no DIY expert by no means, but it was fun.

Just watch out for wires and pipes !!!