Covering letter with job application.

Drd

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I am a partner in a small company of professionals.We recently advertised for a new partner to join us.I was shocked when one of the applicants e-mailed us their CV with a covering letter which was 'text-speak',interspersed with poor grammar and misspellings,with virtually no punctuation.Am I getting old?Is this now the norm?My first reaction was to lean over to the shredder,but perhaps it's just me.

I wouldn't consider anyone that sent a letter like that with an application.

Would you want your employee to send letters or emails worded in such a way?

If I was a partner and saw a covering letter like that I would shred it straight away.

Not only does it show that the applicant doesnt require basic writing skills but also if they wrote to you like that they will most likely write to clients like that.

I Wud gv th prsn th jb. thy r clearly dwn wth th kds & wll hlp yr cmpany reach th youngr ppltn. :rotfl: [joke]

BIN IT. ;)

I am a partner in a small company of professionals.We recently advertised for a new partner to join us.I was shocked when one of the applicants e-mailed us their CV with a covering letter which was 'text-speak',interspersed with poor grammar and misspellings,with virtually no punctuation.Am I getting old?Is this now the norm?My first reaction was to lean over to the shredder,but perhaps it's just me.

Shred it.

Text speak aside, errors in grammar etc tell me that the person isn't really that bothered.

Obviously some are stronger than others when it comes to punctuation but a cv and covering letter is your first selling point to a prospective employer and you really should check, check and check again before sending.

Last edited:
The guy at least deserves a response... something like:

U az nt gt dis job u spz lol rofl

:suicide:

could this guy be dislexic?

We've been seeing this more and more - people who think "here is my CV" constitutes a covering letter. I normally excuse one or two errors if I'm feeling generous, but since this is supposedly demonstrating their attention to detail and professionalism, if you're not short of applicants, shred it :thumbsdow

OP, I assume you do realise that there's supposed to be a space after a punctuation mark? :D:p

and what exactly is a spz?

I take it you are using it as a term for spastic which I find quite offensive.

I didn't know the text speak for 'person incapable of stringing together a coherent sentence' and made a poor choice of word. Certainly no offence intended.

Shred it, obviously sounds like they couldn't be too bothered about the job and couldn't even use a computer spell checker.

When i sent my CV and covering letter to Disney for my application, i probably spent 2 weeks getting it right. Went to the local careers centre and got them to check over it and help me improve it.

covering letter is about getting your personality over to the person reading and then the CV to simply back that up with your qualifications and job history.

Obviously worked for me as it got me noticed by Disney and then it was down to my personality that got me through the rest of the interviews :smashin:

Shred it, obviously sounds like they couldn't be too bothered about the job and couldn't even use a computer spell checker.

When i sent my CV and covering letter to Disney for my application, i probably spent 2 weeks getting it right. Went to the local careers centre and got them to check over it and help me improve it.

covering letter is about getting your personality over to the person reading and then the CV to simply back that up with your qualifications and job history.

Obviously worked for me as it got me noticed by Disney and then it was down to my personality that got me through the rest of the interviews :smashin:

Absolutely, your covering letter is your pre-interview interview, so there's no room to go wrong with it.

Still can't believe the number of people who don't use a spellcheck and proof read they're CV/cover letter.

im 17 so often use text speak when texting (obviously) as well as MSN etc.

For AVF and anything formal i never use text speak, its effectively a whole different dictionary for me and if i wanted a job (which i really do) i would try and make a good first impression

this person has spent the time to send in their CV but have taken no thought about how they are presenting themselves and giving first impressions

IMO they havent tried hard to get the job so wont try hard to keep it - look for someone that will

Still can't believe the number of people who don't use a spellcheck and proof read they're CV/cover letter.

I agree, but why is it when it looks OK on the computer screen but when printed the mistakes jump out at you. eg missing comers, full stops, etc.

I agree, but why is it when it looks OK on the computer screen but when printed the mistakes jump out at you. eg missing comers, full stops, etc.
its best to get another person to read it over

if you have written it then you read what you think you put there and so generally people have trouble in finding their own mistakes

There's always one :rotfl:

I was waiting for someone to start commenting on the ops punctuation :devil:

But then again it could just be that his space bar is faulty :D
Using a mac in that case :D

id better grab my coat and start running now :devil:

Do you see the irony? :D

I don't profess to be perfect. Typing etiquette is perhaps not my strong point,it doesn't have to be as I have staff to type for me. What I would do is make sure that if I was applying for a job my application was perfect. Happy?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom