Covering ceiling plasterboard nails

markie g

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone recommend the best way of covering ceiling plasterboard nails?

I've tried filler in the past but it doesn't like to stick and often comes away when using a roller over it.

Anyone recommend the best thing for covering these?

Thanks

Use screws firstly and then be prepared to fill at least a coupe of times. Drywall filler is ok, but does sink after the first hit dries. A couple of hits and you will be fine. And to it's advantage, it is easy to sand flush.

Screw and Gyproc Easi-Fill.

I know a few plasterers that scrim over screws in a long band but that's only if you're skimming the whole board really.

Screw and Gyproc Easi-Fill.

I know a few plasterers that scrim over screws in a long band but that's only if you're skimming the whole board really.

I'm sure they do whatever is quickest and easiest to get out of there. But this seems like it may be more skill is required.

I used this extensively and tried to get a ceiling flat just using this:
British Gypsum Ready Mix Joint Cement 12L (this was to fill the taped joins in tapered plasterboard.

And as I suggested, you won't get away with one hit. In fact, it has sunk in places over time where it was thicker.

My advice based on my experience of filling screw voids is put as little as you can on and be prepared to revisit at least once.

To be honest, it dries within the hour if a thin coat, so no real hardship if you go along and do something else. Or if you have a lot to do, take a break!

That's similar to Easi Fill but ready mixed. Easi fill is powder.

I tend to leave screw holes proud and then sand, job done.

That's similar to Easi Fill but ready mixed. Easi fill is powder.

I tend to leave screw holes proud and then sand, job done.

That is easier said than done! I tend to find air can get trapped. Maybe if I did it day in, day out I would get better :D

Best stuff I've ever used is Zinsser Ready Patch Lite. My nearest decorator supplier sells it. Amazing stuff.

That is easier said than done! I tend to find air can get trapped. Maybe if I did it day in, day out I would get better :D

No, I think it's just something you're born with:laugh: ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom