1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Covergence fault with rear-proj Toshiba - PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Dan L, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Dan L

Dan L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    I've tried querying this problem before many months ago (not on here I don't think though), and thought I'd ask again just in case someone out there can help me, before I replace my TV :)

I currently have a rear-projection Toshiba 42" TV, I can't remember the model # off the top of my head, not that it's too important anyway.

I've had the TV for a few years now, but about a year after owning it it suddenly developed a fault which, at the time, I tried lots of things to figure out how to fix it with no luck at all.

Basically, in some TV modes, there is a problem with the convergence in the upper-left part of the screen.

The red and blue part of the picture split off at an angle, the red is the worst, probably a good 45 degrees or so, the the blue less so. It affects probably the top 2" of the screen, and is about 10" wide.

The bizarre thing is that it only does it in certain TV modes:

WIDE (PAL) - yes
    4:3 (PAL) - yes
    Super Live (PAL) - no
    Cinema (PAL) - no
    Subtitle (PAL) - no

...any NTSC source, no matter what display mode, does NOT display this problem.

I've never called an engineer to look at it as I don't fancy paying an extortionate call-out rate just to be told "I can't fix it"...but it's always annoyed me having to use workarounds to display a clear WS picture; or being force to use Super Live mode.

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this before...or have any suggestions before I replace the TV and sell it at a massive loss?

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Doing a service level convergence on the TV may well correct some or all of this,but does require an amount of willingness to do something to the TV which can be difficult to undo!.....

The following links may be useful to you,as will doing a search here on Toshiba 50WT29B convergence,which should bring up an entire thread on it,relevant also to your RPTV.

http://www.bus.ucf.edu/cwhite/Theater/ToshibaTips.htm
    http://www.bus.ucf.edu/cwhite/Theater/Convergence.htm
    http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/bran...eraltweaks.html

3. Dan L

Dan L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Trust me, this is beyond the scope of the minor adjustments you can make in the Convergence menu :)

The red/blue colours literally split off from the main picture in the corner, the split is probably 2 inches diagonally from bottom-left to top-right in the affected area.

I will try to get a photo so you can see what I mean...

Thanks for the info, alexs2, I will check the links out :)

4. Dan L

Dan L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Tried last night but could not enable the convergence mode within the service menu :(

Here are some photos to show the problem.

Attached Files:

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Thats way beyond the user level convergence,and may be beyond service level...may be that one of the CRT's has slipped or similar.

If you cant get the service level convergence going,it may be down to an engineer's visit.

6. Dan L

Dan L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    I kind of think it's weird though that it only affects certain modes, and only in that section of the viewable area - for example, that picture was taken with the set in 4:3 mode - notice the grey bars either side - and the banding only occurs on the displayed picture, not the grey bar at the screen edge. However, if I change display mode to Wide, the banding occurs right at the edges of the screen. This makes me wonder whether it's unlikely to be a physical/mechanical problem.

7. Shady Deal

Shady Deal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    When I owned one of these sets(46 inch) I actually got a Toshiba engineer out to do a service level convergence due to a red patch on the screen.

I am 99.9% sure that WIDE and 4:3 use the same convergence grid (All the others you mention use there own) and that is why the fault only appears on these two ratios.

I have seen a screen as bad as yours but all over the picture that was cured with a service menu convergence.

I am sure it can be adjusted correctly, but if you are unsure of using the service menu, a good engineer could do it for you.

Regards

8. Dan L

Dan L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    That's interesting...anyone know how to access the convergence menu (in service mode) on my telly? :)

It's a 40PW8DB.

The other confusing thing is why this would happen in the first place if it's not a hardware fault? Weird!

9. Dan L

Dan L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    MAGIC!

For anyone who is interested, after nearly a year of struggling with this problem, I've finally maganed to fix it at no cost :D

After accessing the service convergence menu, I reset the red convergence and the picture is now better than it ever was!!

Absolutely chuffed to bits - thanks for you input fellas. Now maybe I can get an extra couple of £££ to ease the cost of the new plasma ;)

Dan