courtesy cars

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by richard plumb, Sep 18, 2007.

1. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    dropped my M3 into the local dealership and picked up a courtesy car while its being worked on - 118i ! Dread to think what you get if you bring in a 1-series :p

Anyway, got in and was pleasantly surprised with the power it has. Revs nicely and has decent acceleration. Even though its a lower spec its perfectly iveable with IMO. I suppose when you're driving powerful cars its easy to assume lower powered cars are practically pedal cars, but it seems that these days most motors are more than enough for todays road and traffic conditions.

I think it helped that it was a manual and so I could leave it in a gear for longer to keep the revs up, but regardless - its a lot of fun.

Course the steering was crazy light, and it was quite wallowy through corners, and when I turned my head to reverse park I couldn't see anything (!) - so I wouldn't buy one, but it did make me think that when I probably get a new 3-series coupe or perhaps a 5-series, that I don't particularly need to go for a 335i when a 330 or even a 325 will be more than enough 90% of the time.

anyone else had an unexpectedly good experience in a courtesy car?

2. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,886
    Just the excitement of the 540 degree spin when my wife drove straight thru a give-way at a crossroads and wrote off the courtesy car we had.....

3. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Sounds like she went to the same driving school as my wife.

I normally end up with a right snotter of a courtesy car if I can even get one. Not sure whats up with my local garages but most of them require you to book months in advance to even get a sniff of a courtesy car.

The thing I find with smaller engined cars is that they are fine while you give them plenty of revs I wouldn't want to keep doing it long term.

4. mason

mason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    when i booked my tt in for a service the other month- they gave me a 2.0tdi a3.... great car with plenty of torque. surprised me some what.

5. Bilbob

Bilbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    I recently got smacked in my 2000 mondeo, so it had to go in for fixing, got a 1 yr old mondeo 2lt tdci 130bhp as a loaner... it 'sufficed. :)

6. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,054

it was surprisingly good. 6 gears, so under 3k revs at 80 on the motorway. Yes you had to rev it to get it moving properly but that was half the fun, and meant that when you're feeling lazy you can just potter along (like my wife would like to)

57 reg 118 3-door hatch, the dealer is just changing their cars over to the new year.

7. co55ie

co55ie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    when I had an M3 the dealer used to give me a 320d :mad: when the car was in for one of its many bottom end rebuilds.

The 320d was a truly dreadful car .I would have prefered a tractor.

Last time my A3 was in for a repair I got an S3 mostly because the dealer had made a mistake but Audi have allways given me a better car than the one I have

8. Layne RIP

Layne RIP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    When i take my Celica in all i get is a poxy Yaris [​IMG]

9. IanW1977

IanW1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    Mines in for repair tmoz - My Legal Expenses Company type people are charging the other persons Insurance £84 a day for the Hire car - Robbing gits

10. essjay

essjay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    My lexus went in for some warranty work a couple of months ago and I was given a 2 month old RX350 very nice indeed :thumbsup:

11. Beobloke

Beobloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    When I took my first car, a 1.2 Nova, in for a service a year after I started driving and aged 18, they handed me the keys to a Cavalier CD 2.0i.:eek:

I thought I'd died and gone to heaven but sadly all I've had since is a selection of underpowered shopping carts.......:(

12. DNWILLIAMS

DNWILLIAMS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    My XJR had to go into a main dealer for a gearbox fault the warranty engineer needed a look at it to confirm a rebuild was required I was lent a 2007 XJTDVi Sovereign for the day. Mind you that was followed up by a call from the sales dept asking if I liked the diesel XJ and did I want to discuss changing mine for one. Something I am considering as it happens.

Then when it actually went in for the rebuild I had an S-type diesel for a week. Much better than the normal Volvo S40 they lend out.