Court of Appeal frees brothers who beat up a burglar

Wild Weasel

Prominent Member
Reaction score
'Have-a-go hero' businessman Munir Hussain freed by Court of Appeal

A businessman jailed for attacking an intruder after the lives of his family were threatened by knife-wielding thugs in their home was freed by the Court of Appeal today.

Lord Chief Justice Lord Judge, and two other judges in London, showed "mercy" to Munir Hussain, 53, of High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. They overturned his 30-month jail sentence, replacing it with a two-year term, but ordered that it should be suspended.

Hussain’s brother Tokeer, 35, had his 39-month jail term reduced to two years. The brothers, described as family men at the heart of the local community, were jailed after being found guilty of causing grievous bodily harm with intent.

Well there you go. The prison revolvng door keeps on revolving.

'Have-a-go hero' businessman Munir Hussain freed by Court of Appeal - Times Online

It's worth reading the article instead of going by a headline.

Had to get that one in didn't you

yep, nothing to do with taking the wind out of Dave C's announcement this week that they will make it harder to prosecute home owners who defend there house has it, no this government would never do anything like that.

but free to carry on with his life, a slap on the wrist

GBH with intent conviction is anything but a slap on the wrist. Max sentence is life imprisonment ( although you'd probably have to chainsaw someone's legs off to get that).

Thats a very serious conviction to have on your record. Also last time I checked if he's ever found guilty a second time for a similar offence he goes down for life.

Next one up is attempted murder.

I can understand why he was convicted: no way his response was justified at the time. In the house maybe but not when the other nutter was legging it. And their were two of them against one , and they used a weapon ( cricket bat... broken by the end of it).

Two wrongs don't make a right.

popcornsoda.jpg

I can understand why he was convicted: no way his response was justified at the time. In the house maybe but not when the other nutter was legging it. And their were two of them against one , and they used a weapon ( cricket bat... broken by the end of it).

two of them against one, but there were four intruders when they first gave chase. If someone tied up my family and held them at knife point, then I would do more than smash them over the head with a cricket bat.
cue the "but they could have held him down until the law arrived, and delt with him" nerd mob.
Your heart tends to rule your head when your families lives are at risk.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that 99% of the population would agree that if someone is breaking the law (in this case burglary) they should not have the protection of the law should they be injured or even killed during that event.

It's the other 1% who have no idea about real life that have ruined our justice system.

I'm disgusted that the brothers were charged at all.

Now i'm taking it a little far, but i can see why there is a law cos how hard would it be if you wanted to kill someone ? just set it up as if they burgled your house and you killed them.
It could happen ?

I have to agree with a lot of other posters. They should not have been in his house in the first place. It must have been terrifying for the family.

If the law had greater powers to make sure these scumbags were not allowed back on the streets then this kind of thing would not happen.

two of them against one, but there were four intruders when they first gave chase. If someone tied up my family and held them at knife point, then I would do more than smash them over the head with a cricket bat.
cue the "but they could have held him down until the law arrived, and delt with him" nerd mob.
Your heart tends to rule your head when your families lives are at risk.

exactly, I would simply be up for manslaughter. These scum bags loose the rights and right to life once they enter my threshold with the intentions of harm and burglary.

What the law allows you to is take reasonable action according to the level of threat you perceive.

Burglars armed with knives threatening to kill your family...probably get away with killing them.

Same burglar beaten into a vegetable when the were in the process of fleeing is not an act of self defense . Its an act of vengeance.

However the usual tabloid reading grunters will decry that we are unsafe in our homes and that they should have free reign to act out their anger on anyone they choose. And anyone who says different is a limp wristed liberal.

The fact that most of the aformentioned grunters will be too busy urinating down their legs to actually do anything in a threatening situation will of course not occur to them.

What the law allows you to is take reasonable action according to the level of threat you perceive.

Burglars armed with knives threatening to kill your family...probably get away with killing them.

Same burglar beaten into a vegetable when the were in the process of fleeing is not an act of self defense . Its an act of vengeance.

However the usual tabloid reading grunters will decry that we are unsafe in our homes and that they should have free reign to act out their anger on anyone they choose. And anyone who says different is a limp wristed liberal.

The fact that most of the aformentioned grunters will be too busy urinating down their legs to actually do anything in a threatening situation will of course not occur to them.

Well put.

I totally agree. From reading the original reports of the trial they cornered not a young yob but a 50+ year old bloke in a neighbours garden & were beating the crap out of him with amongst other things a cricket bat & a metal scaffolding pole. They only stopped because of the neighbours pleading with them to cease before they killed the guy.

Don't read papers and never have however, if the police could get a grip on the problem (not really blaming the police, more the stupid sentences handed out to these repeat offenders) perhaps we would see less of these events happening.

And if all the liberal do-gooders kept their mouths shut the country would probably not be in the situation it is.

I totally agree. From reading the original reports of the trial they cornered not a young yob but a 50+ year old bloke in a neighbours garden & were beating the crap out of him with amongst other things a cricket bat & a metal scaffolding pole. They only stopped because of the neighbours pleading with them to cease before they killed the guy.

does it matter how old he was? he was involved in tying up the victims family. what would you have done nigel? I take it you dont have a wife and kids?

does it matter how old he was? he was involved in tying up the victims family. what would you have done nigel? I take it you dont have a wife and kids?

And having a wife and kids allows you to take the law into your own hands then?

He was a serial burglar who has probably ruined hundreds of lives during his 'career', also a few moments earlier he had a knife to this guys family treating to kill them, I don't know how I would react but I can't blame this guy for what he did and I am glad he has been released.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom