Courier for hi-fi?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by pete s, Feb 27, 2013.

1. pete s

pete s

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Apolgies in advance - I've done a forum search and cannot find an up-to-date response with recommendations, so.....

I'm selling some hi-fi kit, so it's heavy and valuable. I've tried Parcel2go, etc, and most basic services offer limited insurance and when the insurance value is increased the price of delivery goes through the roof. We're talking around £100 to deliver to 12kg boxes with a combined value of £1.3k.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a reliable, trustworthy courier used to handing such deliveries and able to provide appropriate insurance?

2. reevesy

reevesy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,115
    could try parcel monkey......which more often than not brings up city link...

sent a few heay av items....but if you want to fully insure it might be the same sort of figure

cheers

3. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,285
    Interparcel would do it for around £27 per box using their "own brand" Economy Service, which is actually UPS. This would cover each box up to £750 assuming it's not valve based, which could invalidate compensation for damage due to the glass content. IIRC, they have a limit of £1,000 per consignment which is why you'd have to send it a two separate ones, but then I don't think you'd get any discount with that method for sending as one consignment anyway.

Their own brand service is actually UPS & I've found it consistently pretty good as couriers go. Certainly a whole lot better than the likes of Yodel or City Link.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  4. DIBSTER

DIBSTER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    I would second the Interparcel/UPS option, that's who I always use. For me the Economy service so far has always been delivered next day without exception so no need to use the more expensive next day service.

As mentioned above avoid Yodel like the plague.

PS: That P2GO price of £100 seems very high, even allowing for the value?

5. stuartm1962

stuartm1962
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know this is an old post, but hopefully this might be of interest to some of the members.There are a lot of people in favour of UPS on here, can i just say one thing. We use UPS, DHL, DPD and others and would recommend DHL over UPS every time. It is not because UPS are any worse than DHL, but in the event of a damage claim, they will try everything to get out of paying. We recently sent a keyboard for a client with UPS, complete with additional insurance in the event that it got damaged. The keyboard arrived smashed, UPS subsequently visited the customer to view the damage and the packaging. They then refused to settle the claim on the grounds of insufficient packaging. Their insurers stated that it should have been sent in a metal flight case. When we have had a claim with DHL, they have always honoured the claim. We send Hi-Fi for companies such as Townshend Audio, EAR and Arcam, so are very experienced in these type of goods.You can see on our website www.overlandexpress.co.uk that there is not much difference in the price between the two carriers, so we have no reason for promoting DHL over UPS, just be aware that if your item is damaged, their insurers are very unlikely to pay out. When shipping, obviously the more packaging the better, but usually the manufacturers boxes for Amps, speakers etc are usually sufficient. If in doubt, wrap them with extra bubble wrap, the more packaging,the less chance of damage. For large speakers or heavy valve amps, i agree with the earlier poster,pallets are the best option. Our additional insurance cover is £10 up to £3000 of cover. It covers all Hi-Fi and electrical items and the manufacturers packaging is sufficient.

6. Wall Of Sound

Wall Of Sound

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    I've always used DPD for anything with cost, yet to have an issue with them

7. MacVee

MacVee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    I would have suspected that the cost of UPS sending out an employee to physically inspect and report on the damaged item (in this case a keyboard) would be more expensive than paying out a claim, therefore making it not economically viable.

Is there any chance of an appeal process to insurers in these sort of situations? I'm sure it would be considered unreasonable to expect lay members of the public to package a keyboard in metal flight cases when an enormous amount arrive unscathed in regular cardboard packaging?

8. stuartm1962

stuartm1962
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sadly MacVee, their decision is final. You could try taking them to court, but i doubt that you would get very far. It seems a bit of a con, that they take your money and when something goes wrong, you have no chance of any compensation. If you work on the basis, that if you dropped the item from waist height, would it survive the fall? If you are sending AV or HI FI stuff throughout the UK, the extra weight/ dimensions of additional packaging makes very little difference to the cost. So for the sake of a couple of pounds, put as much protection around the items as you can. Large speakers and heavy valve amps are best on pallets and then covered in shrink wrap. If i can ever be of assistance, please contact me. Send Speakers | Send Amplifier| Send Hi-Fi Equipment by Courier