Couple quick questions! (confused!!!)

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
Just got hold of another PS2 (Slim one this time - had a fat one before, but sold it about 4yrs ago) cos I decided I have too much time on my hands and wanna have a go at Gran Turismo 4 and Guitar Hero :clap: lol....

Anyway, got the usual stuff with it - along with an AV cable (with red, white + yellow composite connections) and scart block... Will have to do for now, no spare RGB scart socket on my TV, and no spare component inputs either :( (My TV is CRT btw, so won't do progressive anyway)

Now, the two things that are confusing me!

1) In the menu when you boot up with no disc and you go into configuration; I set the Display to either 4:3, FULL or 16:9. Now no matter which of these I choose, it doesn't seem to display right. in 4:3 (with my TV set WIDE) I get black bars top and bottom. In FULL (TV set WIDE) I get a full screen. In 16:9 (TV set WIDE) I get black bars top and bottom, and some wording is moved. If I set the TV to 4:3, with any of the options the ratio looks right (as in circles look round, etc).

However, when in the game (GT4) and you change the display in the game menu to 16:9, it displays correctly (all beit a tad underscanned).

So by the looks of it, with TV set to WIDE (which is full screen on my widescreen TV) whichever system diplay setting I use looks wrong, the game menu's look wrong, but the in-game graphics look right... Odd!

Next;

2) The DVD audio playback. Connected optical to the PS2 and to the AVR. Audio comes out (PCM 48k). Good. Pop in a DVD, it plays back the Dolby Digital in surround, aswell as Pro Logic in surround (on discs that have prologic on them) and multichannel indicator on my amp lights up. Good. However, it won't play back DTS!!! I went into the SETUP in the DVD menu's, and in the audio types you can turn on and off different audio types (DD, DTS, MPEG, aswell as turning off the optical connection alltogether) DTS was set to OFF, but it won't let me set it to on. I can change the DD and MPEG settings to on or off, but it won't let me do anything with the DTS entry. Why not? Seems strange, specially considering it has DTS stamped into the disc tray cover on the actual unit!!!!

Anyone got any idea's?

Finally - reading the manual for it I found on web, says that you can use an RGB scart to connect it to TV (obviously needs to be the PS2 AV Multi to RGB Scart lead) but then says you wan't watch DVD's with this cable as it will be green due to copyright technology in the PS2 - huh? Why the hell do that? But no mention of if you can or can't watch DVD's with the component connection.... It's just that the composite video graphics suck, and I'd be tempted to get a scart or component switcher for it, and whilst I am not likely to use it as a DVD player (as I have a DVD player) if I was to get a projector with RGB scart connection or component, I might be tempted to use the PS2 as a DVD player through that, save running a hella long lead from the DVD under the TV to the PJ on other side of room.....

Sorry to waffle - help if you can please! :)

BrokenArrow

1) Can't help there. It's something that's always confused me.

2) With a DVD playing, press O twice to stop the DVD and bring up the PS2 menu. Go into the audio settings and try from there. If you still can't turn DTS on, close the menu with SELECT then press O a few more times. Press select again to go into the menu and DTS should now be blue when you go to it, allowing you to change the setting. :)

I found out I had the same DTS probem on my Slimline so after some Googling I found that bit of advice and it worked.

3) There are different settings for RGB output. Without a disc in the console, go to System Configuration then change the Component Video Out between "Y Cb/Pb Cr/Pr" and "RGB". I have a Joytech 8 inch screen and if this console setting doesn't match the screen setting it gets a green or pink hue. Pressumably this could work with an RGB Scart or Component cable to a TV.

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
2) With a DVD playing, press O twice to stop the DVD and bring up the PS2 menu. Go into the audio settings and try from there. If you still can't turn DTS on, close the menu with SELECT then press O a few more times. Press select again to go into the menu and DTS should now be blue when you go to it, allowing you to change the setting. :)

I found out I had the same DTS probem on my Slimline so after some Googling I found that bit of advice and it worked.

:eek: Exactly like you said - that worked! I already tried the set up menu with a film stopped and it wouldn't let me changed the status of the DTS output, but doing the "press O a bunch more times" trick did the job! Thanks! :clap::thumbsup::smashin:

Not got an RGB scart connection (mainly cos I don't have a free RGB scart socket on my TV) so can't test that... Just curious is all :)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom