1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

couple of Widescreen questions...

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by JoeyL, Aug 9, 2004.

1. JoeyL

JoeyL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Recently got a new Sony 32" widescreen, and after watching it now for a couple of weeks (and getting a green RGB screen eventually fixed), I got a couple of more queries...

Am I right in believing the likes of Eastenders/corrie, lots of BBC/ITV programs on terrestrial are broadcast in 14:9 ratio?
    Well, when watching these programmes, I sometimes switch the TV to 14:9 mode, to remove the black bars from top & bottom. Is it normal for the TV to actually remove a little of the actual TV image as well as the black bars when I do this? I only noticed this lastnight when I used the up/down arrows on the remote and noticed that a little bit of the image was also hidden, along with the black bars. I assumed that only the black bars would get chopped. ? Is this perhaps a case of the broadcaster not transmitting a "perfect 14:9" ratio?

Also, I noticed that while watching a 2.35:1 ratio DVD (with the thicker black bars on top and bottom), that the top black bar appears ever so slightly "thicker" on the left side than on the right. I think I corrected the problem by entering the TV menu and adjusting "Picture Rotation" a notch. Is it normal for these TV's to have slightly imperfect geometry?

cheers,
    Joe.

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    Am I right in believing the likes of Eastenders/corrie, lots of BBC/ITV programs on terrestrial are broadcast in 14:9 ratio?

Yes via Analogue. This is the compromise they use for analogue transmissions where the original material is shot in 16x9. Via digital platforms, these programmes are full 16x9.

Is it normal for the TV to actually remove a little of the actual TV image as well as the black bars when I do this?

Yes; it's called overscanning and pretty much all TVs do it. It's not in the broadcast - it's the TV.

Is it normal for these TV's to have slightly imperfect geometry?

Yes, with CRTs. No, with LCD and Plasma.

3. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Joey. Joey, Joey - you've spent all this money on a wide screen telly and you're still watching TV via analogue transmissions ?. Go out and flash some cash and get a DTT box (assuming you're in the right area) and see it as it leaves the broadcaster. regards, yt.