Couple of simple questions about HD-E1.

Scottyyy

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm considering buying one of these as I love the idea of watching films in higher quality. I've been stuck with a very poor 21" CRT for about 5 years. I have a couple of questions though.

1. Would a Samsung LE32R87BDX + this HD DVD player go well together? I'm thinking of going with the cheaper Samsung + HD DVD rather than the more expensive Panasonic 32" LMD70 with no HD DVD player.

2. Will this play my burnt DVD+R's well enough?

3. I've read this is region locked with SD DVD's, is this true?

4. Would I be better off with a good upscaling DVD player like an Oppo 981HD and save myself some money on buying HD DVD's, or do you personally think HD DVD's are worth the extra?

That's all. Thanks guys.

You're not really getting the most from HD DVD on a 32" screen, but you should still appreciate the performance.

I have no idea on DVD-R!

At present all HD DVD's are region locked for SD DVD, they can play any region HD DVD though...

All the reviews seem to suggest that the E1 (and certainly the XE1) are exceptional SD DVD upscalers and i think in this instance you probably should go for an E1 over an oppo etc given the price... unless of course you have loads of R1 DVD's etc...

You're not really getting the most from HD DVD on a 32" screen, but you should still appreciate the performance.

I have no idea on DVD-R!

At present all HD DVD's are region locked for SD DVD, they can play any region HD DVD though...

All the reviews seem to suggest that the E1 (and certainly the XE1) are exceptional SD DVD upscalers and i think in this instance you probably should go for an E1 over an oppo etc given the price... unless of course you have loads of R1 DVD's etc...

Thanks mate!

I don't have any R1's actually. My whole collection is R2. :)

And yeah I was thinking 32" is a little small for HD, but if I went with the expensive Panasonic I wouldn't even have anything to play it on. My bro is using the 360 and I don't have a DVD player heh.

If I can play my backups (all R2's so they should work right? Or is it different for backups?) then I'll go for the HD DVD player.

according to Toshiba the HD-E1 plays

CD audio
CD-DA
CD-R
CD-RW
DVD-R: (Does not support CPRM)
DVD ROM
DVD-RW: (Does not support CPRM)
DVD Video
HD DVD

Not exactly sure what CPRM is though, something to do with copy protection, I don't see that being an issue with backups or illegally obtained movies.

The E1 is a great player although it is a little slow to boot up.

Buying an English E1 will let you play all region 2 SD-DVD's purchased or made yourself and HD-DVD's from anywhere in the world. All my SD-DVD's are English but all but 2 of my HD-DVD's are American.

I'm not sure about this but I think making a backup may well remove the region coding anyway, but it's not an issue either way.

Enjoy the E1, now seems to be the best time so far to become a HD-DVD owner. Just this minute finished watching 300 on HD-DVD amazing.

according to Toshiba the HD-E1 plays

CD audio
CD-DA
CD-R
CD-RW
DVD-R: (Does not support CPRM)
DVD ROM
DVD-RW: (Does not support CPRM)
DVD Video
HD DVD

Not exactly sure what CPRM is though, something to do with copy protection, I don't see that being an issue with backups or illegally obtained movies.

The E1 is a great player although it is a little slow to boot up.

Buying an English E1 will let you play all region 2 SD-DVD's purchased or made yourself and HD-DVD's from anywhere in the world. All my SD-DVD's are English but all but 2 of my HD-DVD's are American.

I'm not sure about this but I think making a backup may well remove the region coding anyway, but it's not an issue either way.

Enjoy the E1, now seems to be the best time so far to become a HD-DVD owner. Just this minute finished watching 300 on HD-DVD amazing.

Thanks mate. :)

I think I may go for the Samsung + Toshiba combo. Although, I really liked the look of the Panasonic TV -- little expensive though.

I have a 32" R87 and the HD-E1 and i think it's amazing, i had people tell me that i wouldnt really appreciate the HD on a 32" but i can tell the difference straight away,

I am very , very pleased with it and would recommend both the TV and the DVD player together

It also upscales extremly well, a lot better than i thought it would, you'll find posts here where other users are extremely impressed with the upscaling of SD Dvds,

go for it!

I have a 32" R87 and the HD-E1 and i think it's amazing, i had people tell me that i wouldnt really appreciate the HD on a 32" but i can tell the difference straight away,

I am very , very pleased with it and would recommend both the TV and the DVD player together

It also upscales extremly well, a lot better than i thought it would, you'll find posts here where other users are extremely impressed with the upscaling of SD Dvds,

go for it!

Very nice. I'm glad you're impressed with it. :)

Hopefully that 20% off voucher for Debenhams works so I can get the Samsung for £390. :rotfl:

Buy a 37 inch Full HD capable tv instead, the extra viewing space is well worth to pay a little bit extra. :thumbsup:

Full HD is future proof and it gives you the maximum HD DVD resolution now , don't compromise for less :thumbsup:

:clap::hiya:

Buy a 37 inch Full HD capable tv instead, the extra viewing space is well worth to pay a little bit extra. :thumbsup:

Full HD is future proof and it gives you the maximum HD DVD now resolution, don't compromise for less :thumbsup:

:clap::hiya:

There's no way I could afford that though. :(

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Hey guys, I have one more question.

Is the America A2 region locked to only region 1 SD DVD's? I'm assuming it is as it's the equivalent of our E1.

If anyone can confirm that would be great. Thanks.

Is there still a visible layer change with this player on either SD or HD?

Hi Wayne,

The layer change on mine is almost invisible; much better than the Pioneer DVD player it replaced. In fact, I'm not sure if I have noticed a layer change....its just that my kids always say "Layer change" during a quiet spot in a movie...even on Sky!

BTW, DVD-R (and +R) work fine. I've also burned test HD-DVD files onto DVD-R and they played fine (in HD) too!

The only discs I can't play are those awful VCDs that my wife likes, so I let her have the Pioneer, LOL!

Sorry but how does an "English" model differ from other European models. Will it work in Wales or Scotland? ;)

Hi Wayne,

The layer change on mine is almost invisible; much better than the Pioneer DVD player it replaced. In fact, I'm not sure if I have noticed a layer change....its just that my kids always say "Layer change" during a quiet spot in a movie...even on Sky!

BTW, DVD-R (and +R) work fine. I've also burned test HD-DVD files onto DVD-R and they played fine (in HD) too!

The only discs I can't play are those awful VCDs that my wife likes, so I let her have the Pioneer, LOL!

Which Pioneer player did it replace and are we just talking about normal DVD for the layer change or HD-DVD as well?

Sorry but how does an "English" model differ from other European models. Will it work in Wales or Scotland? ;)

Is English the native tongue?

Right, as we were....

I'd take the 37" Plasma as mentioned too, i've spent far too long recently looking at LCD and Plasma and now i realise that Plasma really is better, much more natural looking, no motion blur etc

Buy the TV now and the DVD next month :)

The HD E1 is on sale this weekend in Currys in Ireland for €299 (about 200 sterling). Seems a bargain.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom