Couple of questions regarding inputs

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by benjo09, Feb 5, 2009.

1. benjo09

benjo09
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im just browsing at the moment for either an amp or a system and what to connect up my xbox and ipod for now but in the future get a phono preamp and add a turntable and possibley a cd player.

My first question is can any component be plugged into any free input on the rear even though its labelled? For example could I have my ipod plugged into the input marked CD?

My second question is as long as I buy a phono stage for the turntable will it just plug into the AUX input?

I'm sure I had another question but I can't think of it right now

Thanks

Ben

2. oldnewbie

oldnewbie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    You can plug anything into a aux as long as you have the correct cable ie a turntable will just plug into a aux with just a phono cable and nothing else, the same goes for the ipod as long as you have a docking/charging station that has phono outs and a optical input for the 360.:thumbsup:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  3. thenicklouse

thenicklouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Inputs are all the same Line Level. ( unless it is a dedicated Phono input with a built in Phono stage).

the only problem you may have is remembering what you have connected to what.

4. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,542
    Just to clarify with the turntable. If you use an external phono stage you can use any input except the phone input. If you do not use an external phono stage, you will need to use the phono input on the amp (so it must be present). You also need to match the type of the phono stage (whether internal or external) - MM or MC - with the cartridge type. Finally, don't forget that the turntable needs earthing to the amp.

Your turntable dealer will be able to help you with all of this.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009