1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Couple of questions re the Panasonic DMR-E95

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Maximumbaz, Sep 26, 2004.

1. Maximumbaz

Maximumbaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've just downloaded the American manual for the Panasonic DMR-E95 and I'm trying to find some reference to the machine being able to retain full resolution for three hours as stated by Rasczak but I can't find anything. Does the machine automatically adjust the bitrate so that the resolution remains full for upto three hours when the "Flexible Recording" function is selected?

Also, when editing, is the "Shorten" operation a frame accurate a/b edit?

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    The US machines are somewhat quite different to the UK machines (which is why you see me re-direct US members every now and then) - therefore don't use the US manual! If you want to get an idea of how the E95 works download the E85 or E100 manual (which are the nearest match until Panny actually uploads the new manuals).

The only references you'll see to full resolution recording times are in reviews by decent quality magazines such as Home Cinema Choice.

3. Maximumbaz

Maximumbaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Rasczak,

Many thanks for the quick reply, I've just been to the Panasonic.co.uk website and I found a manual for the DMR-E100 (but no E85) but one of the first things I read was that when recording to DVD-R the aspect ratio would be in 4:3.

I'm sure I read somewhere that the DMR-E95 records in 4:3 when high speed dubbing but will retain a 16:9 aspect if recorded in real time. Can you confirm the E95 is capable of retaining the widescreen when recording in real time?

4. Maximumbaz

Maximumbaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Rasczak,

Before I change my existing Sony RDRHX900 for another machine I want to make absolutely sure the replacement will perform as I expect.

As an example I'll explain why I've been disappointed with the Sony machine. Don't get me wrong, the recorded picture and build quality are simply stunning, BUT, I recorded Lord of the Rings Two Towers, when I copied it to DVD-R the picture quality was poor and I assume this is because it's a 179 minutes film so the machine recorded it in a lower resolution, also the film didn't keep 16:9 aspect (but I could play it with correct aspect ratio if I switched to "Zoom" mode). I thought I'd try and put the film on two discs and retain the full resolution but the machine would not allow me to split the recording in two, neither would it allow me to even start recording at full resolution saying my target DVD didn't have enough memory. The only way I could record it to two discs would be to record the film twice and a/b select and delete parts of the film.

Unfortunately, I need to make my mind up very soon and as you appear to be so familiar with all these machines would you be kind enough let me know if the Panasonic E95 will perform as required. If I get the Panasonic E95, will it be able to record a 179 minute film as in the above scenario, but allow me to frame accurately a/b edit the start and finish of the film, then copy to a DVD-R and maintain 16:9 widescreen aspect, and keep the higher resolution that the Sony would loose after 2 hours?

Many thanks in advance for any info.

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Maximumbaz,

Do yourself a favour and just buy the official Lord Of The Rings DVDs! They have better sound, better picture and better extras than broadcast on Sky! Don't decide your whole DVD recorder experience based on one movie!

The Sony RX900 is an excellent recorder - and I'm slightly concerned you may have read my posts and thought that you've brought a 'lemon' - you haven't! With regard to the Widescreen switching signal then I think you'll find if your record to DVD-RW VR mode on your Sony then it will be retained. Ditto on the E95.

However if you do have the option to change to a E95 then I don't think you'll be disappointed. But ask yourself these questions first:
    - Do you need DVD-RW/DVD+RW compatibility? i.e. do you want to play your disks in an upstairs DVD player?
    - Will you miss the high quality build of the Sony? Ideally you should go to your nearest Panasonic Shop and trial the E95!