Couple of questions re the 508XD

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by True-Blue, Jun 14, 2008.

1. True-Blue

True-Blue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    Is this the 720p rather than full 1080p set ?

How does it cope with a 1080p/24 signal, is it totally smooth and judder free ? ie PS3 and EP35

How does it cope with fast games via PS3, ie racing games ?

Is it close to the 1080p version in absolute terms with a viewing distance of around 11 - 12 feet ?

I'm looking for the best PQ with reasonable SD performance and excellent smooth HD performance.

Was looking at the 60'' but financial priorities are changing :(

2. -Ad-

-Ad-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +259
    Ya

Awesome

Don't know, but going by the fact it must be the same or better than my 42 Kuro, then it handles it very well.

Yup, hard to tell the difference bewteen the two with 1080p footage at 6ft, let alone 11ft.

Look no further :thumbsup:

3. True-Blue

True-Blue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    Thanks for that,

I take it by 'awesome' you mean 'loverly, smooth and judder free'

Hard decision to make now, one of these for around £1500 or the 58'' panny 1080p for around £2200.

Hard decision as the extra 8'' makes a big difference to the viewable screen size :confused::confused::confused:

4. doubledouce

doubledouce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10

These are the exact reasons why I dumped the idea of buying a 50PZ800. I absolutely had made my mind up with going for 1080p, but after reading the amazing feedback given to the Pio and actually reading some of the facts about 1080p vs. 720p I went for the 508XD. 1080p or not you have to go for the best PQ. It took me a while to actually realize that. Damn marketing... :rolleyes:

5. kingfats

kingfats
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,750
    Hi True-Blue. :)
    Blu-ray @ 1080p24 will be judder free. :cool:
    All the best.

6. True-Blue

True-Blue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161

That's one of my big concerns, plus SD performance for the likes of Eastenders for the wife !!

having seen the Panny, it's a big screen for the cash though.......

Argh!!!....

How much roughly is calibration for the Panny ?

maybe less is more and quality is more important than quantity:confused:

7. kingfats

kingfats
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,750
    An ISF calibration is usually around.........£300. :)

8. -Ad-

-Ad-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +259
    Come see my 'TLC demo' thread, I made a few comments about comparing the two 50 inch kuro's, one 1080p and the other not. With these sets being better than any panasonic, you should ignore the pansonic. The one in the showroom today (50 pf10) was turned off quite quickly indeed.

:thumbsup:

Definately !

9. Heavysalad

Heavysalad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    If its any help, I've owned several Panasonic Plasmas including a 1080p 50PZ70 which I recently upgraded to a Pioneer 508XD as our main TV at home. (thanks must go to TLC for great service)

My 508Xd is well set-up but has not been professionaly ISF calibrated (yet). Still, the PQ is quite clearly considerably better on the Pioneer with both SD and HD sources. Most importantly, it is far more natural with much more depth on account of the deep blacks and rich colours which are both far more accurate and consistent. I found the Panasonic 50PZ70 colours and black output to be quite inconsistent. Even within a single source such as during a movie, one moment it would impress and then, next scene the PQ or black level/colours would be questionable which in turn I found to spoil the viewing experience more often than I would like. With the 508XD its solid and consistently good with all sources.

Assuming you are talking about the 58PZ700 Panasonic as your option then I would imagine its fair to say it would be noticibly worse than the 50PZ70 with SD (which in turn is certainly noticibly worse than the 42PZ70) so you would certainly be far better off with the Pioneer 508XD for watching Eastenders for a start :)

If you are talking about the 58PH10 commercial panel then I expect it would fare considerably better than the Viera PZ. I have an older Panasonic 42PWD8 panel and it is far more consistent with SD than the PZ was.

To be fair, the 1080p Panasonic was quite stunning with HD as you would expect but some telecine judder was clearly noticible on slow panning shots, vertical pans in particular for me. Again, I would expect this to be amplified with the 58". Some lucky folks don't see it but it is there and if you are one to notice judder then it will certainly distract from your movie experience when watching 1080/24p sources, especialy if you've paid 2k for the pleasure... you simply can't help but register when you see it and if you are immersed in a good film its something that will break the 'spell' for sure.

As has been mentioned, the 508XD is silk smooth with 1080/24p so its not an isssue. HD also has far more 3D impact due to the blacks and vibrant colour, again.

As for the actual resolution and detail I think it is fair to say that I could resolve a fraction more HD detail on the 50" 1080p Panasonic at around 7ft or so and less but that's looking for fine details such as small items with text, patterned edges and hair detail etc... and even then, it would have to be a fairly still image to spot that detail because its lost with any movement, which is most of the time of course.

At 11-12ft I don't think I would be able to tell the difference in resolution between the two with a 1080p or 1080i source without a great deal of scrutiny. Side by side I expect the 1080p set would be a fraction sharper but as -AD- says, its genuinely hard to tell the difference even between the Pioneers. What is very, very clear to me though is overall PQ and in particular the colours and the black level difference which really shines in very dark scenes where its now a joy to see a face appear out of the blackness and light up against a solid, dark background as the cinematographer intended ( or for sci-fi, substitute 'face' for 'spaceship' :) ).

On the Panasonic the same dark scenes would simply wash out grey... blacks only hit the spot when a significant amount of bright light is also displayed on screen at the same time to enhance the contrast, hence darker scenes didn't work well at all,even with 1080p HD source. Again, I'd expect this to be amplified on the 58" model assuming it has the same processing etc. which I believe it does.

Re: Fast games. I would say both are excellent. I've not played much on the Kuro yet to be honest but I did have a session on GT5 on the PS3 which was equaly stunning on the Pioneer as it was on the Panasonic. Again, it was the blacks and colours on the Pioneer that I first noticed adding far more of a 3d effect on the 'garage' scene seeing a Ferrari amongst the scenery at the GT5 menu. Once actualy racing I doubt there's anything noticible in it. I think fast motion is one of the strongest points of the Pansonic.

Its just some of my own experience albeit with the two 50s and not the 58" as a direct comparison but I hope it helps. The 58 is a big screen and I can see the temptation but I would certianly go for the quality over quantity on this budget and at 11-12ft I think you will be more than happy with a 50, especially if it is to be an every day TV and not just a dedicated 'home cinema' screen. In fact, from my experience I would rather have the Kuro 508XD over the 58" Panasonic PZ700 at the same price so its a bonus here that you would save £700 or so.

A nice bonus I think.

All the best :)

10. mark800

mark800
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,236
    You can see pics of the 508XD (from Blu-ray) with the link below.

I cannot stand judder, and the 508XD is silky smooth. That's one of the key reasons I bought it.

11. kingfats

kingfats
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,750
    Hi mark800. :)
    Nor me :( also,you can use Purecinema Advance to rid NTSC DVD of judder as well :smashin: which is very handy. :cool:
    All the best.

12. Heavysalad

Heavysalad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Cracking pics Mark :thumbsup:

I'll have to have a go at some myself.

13. True-Blue

True-Blue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    Ok, I'm convinced :thumbsup:

Happy to go for one of these rather than pay more for the 5090.

Where's the best place to get one, reasonable guarantee and price?

Anyonr had any joy getting John Lewis to price match this set ??

Questions, Questions !

Excited now decision made :smashin:

14. mark800

mark800
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,236
  15. Heavysalad

Heavysalad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Another vote for TLC Broadcast from me.

Excellent, personal service and backup along with a very competative price which includes the swivel stand as well as a 5 year warranty. No need to shop around bargain box shifting basements imho.

16. mitch909

mitch909

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    TLC all the way...:smashin:

17. gEELOVER

gEELOVER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Mark800,

I've seen your pics lots of times, It clearly is an amazing picture.. I'd be very happy with that, but havnt you just ordered the 5090 or was that someone else, If it was you, why on earth would you buy the 5090 if your TV produces pictures like that.. p.s. dont suppose you have more do you, I notice the thread says "First, pics from" .. is there "Second, now pics from a film thats not animated, or even "Second, here's piccys of console gaming one whihc will be very good to me :)".. oh wait, I might be getting you mixed up with someone who has Jaws as an Avatar, appologies if I have fella

I'm still in my quandry, but the more I look at Chicken Little, the more I think 508XD is for me, them pics are amazing.. or the LX508 if the 508 sells out before I return from holiday in 3 weeks :)

With the LX you'd still be looking at £2000 with ISF and the 5090 is £2400 with better standard picture (then more to calibrtate) .. but I guess I'm gonna have to get rid of that out of head or I'll be putting a plasma in the boot of my flying car if I'm not careful :)

Argh me head hurts now

18. mark800

mark800
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,236
    Yes, the 508XD is a great TV and I've been very happy with it. I'm always amazed at how good it is, especially when I look at the TVs of other people. It makes you very critical of other brands.

I like watching the TV in a dark room, so I'm looking forward to the even-better black levels of the LX5090. I just want to get the ultimate TV. I wouldn't pay £3500 (like the previous LX), but I will pay £2500 for the privilege. I once bought a Sony X series TV for £3500 :)eek::eek:) and promised to myself that I would never spend over £3k on a TV again.

In terms of photos, I'll be taking lots more (of the 508XD versus LX5090). :thumbsup:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  19. True-Blue

True-Blue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    Are you listing the 508XD then ? if so when is it avaiable and how much you looking for (appreciate this would have to go on the 'for sale thread mods)

20. kingfats

kingfats
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,750
    Look forward to it. :smashin:

21. YellowSphere

YellowSphere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +471
    You won't be able to calibrate a 58PZ700 very much anyway, I'm pretty sure it has the same menu structure as the 42 and 50" vieras, which leave a lot to be desired in terms of user adjustability. You can choose from oversaturated green, or slightly less oversaturated green. It's up to you. Whereas with the Pioneer, even if you didn't go for isf calibration (which would enter into the service menu on the PZ700 which is risky) you'd have more control over the individual colours.