1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Couple of questions about the Panasonic E60

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by russAB, Mar 14, 2004.

1. russAB

russAB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...recently decided that we could do with a dvd recorder. I've read a good number of the the posts here and think that, for what we will want it for....basically recording stuff from TV when we're out, and archiving on occasion (including archiving footage from a camcorder) the panasonic E60 will suit me. The digital camera slots might be useful but I imagine my laptop is an easier way to burn photos to disk? A hdd system sounds cool but I'm stretching the budget (agreed with the missus :D) with the E60.

I wondered though if someone could do me a big favour and help me with a couple of things, as i'm pretty new to all this stuff:

1. Presumably it will act as a normal DVD player quite happily? We currently have one of those basic Matsui £100 supermarket jobs which it would be replacing, so I'm guessing I'll not be losing any functionality. I've got a basic surround sound system set up (Sony STR-DE445 receiver and Sony SS-MS5 satellite speakers) and just wanted to check the E60 'talks' to this ok.....being able to listen to DTS was something I wanted when buying surround sound and would like that to carry on.

2. We have a Pace sky digibox, but have stopped our subscription to SKY so we're using it as a freeview box....presumably it'll still record from the digibox ok?

3. We're not in a particular rush, and I've seen from other posts the E65 is due out soon....as it's roughly the same price is it worth the wait?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Russ

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,208
    Yes the E50/E60 series have received good reviews especially over there DVD playback abilties.

Your Sony has a digital optical input on the back to which you can connect the optical out from the E60 so you have no worries there.

If the Digibox outputs a picture then the machine will record a signal from it. Have to admit I'm on the verge of cancelling Sky myself - everything decent seems to be on Freeview anyway!

The E65 is unlikely to appear within the next few months: there was quite a delay between the release of the E50 and E60 so it is likely the same will be true between the as-of-yet unreleased E55 and the new E65. That said the new E65 has progressive scan and component outputs. If you have a suitable TV/Plasma/LCD then I would suggest waiting for the E65 - otherwise the E60 is a good buy.

3. ElchenUK

ElchenUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does the E60 have RGB input for recording freeview etc?

4. ElchenUK

ElchenUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also, on a PC you can create multi session DVDs or CDs thus adding to what is stored on the DVD, is this possible with the E60?

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,208
    Yes - you can keep adding programmes to a DVD-R over time (taking the disk in and out the drive as required) until the disk is full or until you finalise it. As with a PC though it is recommended you keep the disk in the drive until you have finalised it though.