1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Couple of questions about NW-HD5 and software

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by toby_jones, Jun 22, 2005.

1. toby_jones

toby_jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wondering:

Does the supplied software work with Windows Me (I've heard conflicting opinions)?
    If not, is it possible to use the player like a removable drive and just drop MP3s on to it, avoiding the supplied software altogether?
    How does it compare with the NW-HD3 (as I actually prefer the look of the NW-HD3)?
    Would people recommend the NW-HD5 over other portable/digital/MP3 music players (it will be my first and looks to be the best currently available)?
    Does the whole cracking thing only affect silver players?

Thanks. Any opinions/advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. Linkable

Linkable

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't use ME so I can't answer you on that one but you cannot drag & drop files on the player and play them. You have to use Sonicstage or a similar kind of program (I know there was a little program originally designed for the Vaio Pocket that let you transfer files to the HD3, don't know if it'll work for the HD5 too)

HD5 compared to HD3:
    It has better playlist functions
    It has even better battery life
    The user interface has improved (it's more natural to me)
    Better sound quality

I'd recommend it over any mp3 player that I've tried and most certainly over the iPod which is, apart from it's sleek design, a piece of crap compared to the HD5.

There're many reports of silver versions with cracks and no blacks yet. I've seen only one cracked black so far on another site. I have a black one for 6 days now so I'm paying close attention!

3. toby_jones

toby_jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply! Good info. Think I will go for this one.

Anybody know about the Windows thing (will be upgrading fairly soon, but want an MP3 player now really)? It does say on Sony's website that it will work with Windows Me, but I have read elsewhere on the net that people have had all sorts of problems. I don't want to go out and buy only to be disappointed!