Couple of questions about my new Raspberry Pi

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by rousetafarian, Feb 8, 2014.

1. rousetafarian

rousetafarian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,612
    So, I decided that selling my ATV2 ages ago was a mistake as it made streaming media from my other Apple devices a doddle.

Last week I bought a new Pi running openelec and load of repos, so far, so good bearing in mind I'm a novice at this kind of thing.

Q1) I've downloaded the xbmc remote from the Play store, and all seems fine when the Pi is connected via CAT5 to the router, which in turn connects to a Homeplug. When I deselect the cat5 cable and go wireless - nothing, nada, zip. What do I need to change in the settings?

Q2) How do I, (can I?) stream media files from an external WD 2Tb Firewire HDD that is connected to my iMac on a different floor? The iMac and Pi are on the same network but on different floors...

Q3) Can I stream via Airplay from my iMac as I see an Airplay option under the Pi settings? If so how?

Thanks guys, I appreciate it a lot.

2. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,128
    1) To be honest no clue, you could try setting a fixed IP on the device that would make it easier to connect via the remote so it wouldn't have to scan. Just enter in the IP, connect and leave it at that.

2) You can stream via three ways
    * network shares
    * UPnP/DLNA server - serviio or tvmobili both are available for OSX.
    * XBMC UPnP server - XBMC has it's own built in UPnP server but it means running XBMC at the same time, not so useful yet until they split it off to a standalone server. The XBMC server does provide coverart media library listings unlike third party UPnP/DLNA servers.

For network shares in OSX go to system preferences\sharing and tick the box for file sharing, then hit the + symbol to add more folders and set permissions to everyone read only.

Network shares can be very unreliable with permissions you might have difficulty in accessing the folders, if you do try creating a specific XBMC user account on the Mac and then login with it via the R-Pi, you must also set the XBMC user account to have access rights in the same area in system\sharing.

On XBMC browse Windows network SMB or zeroconf AFP to see the Mac (zeronconf might be the way to go).

For DLNA it's way easier - install DLNA server, add folders holding media, go to UPnP on XBMC, add server and your done.

3) In XBMC go into settings\services and you will find Airplay service in there, turn it on. If you dont see it you might have to set the settings level to expert which is a new thing in latest nightly builds, not sure whats R-Pi openelec is using.

Keep in mind open source Airplay only works with DRM free music, pictures and videos, it sorta works with Internet videos but it does not work with display mirroring or iTunes video purchases.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  3. rousetafarian

rousetafarian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,612
    Next, I really appreciate your assistance and I will let you know how I get on

4. cmor

cmor
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    A good response from Next there.

Just to expand a little on your wifi issue, presumably you configured the wifi security settings on the Pi. After doing this did you try logging into your router and looking at the list of connected devices to make sure you could see the wireless interface of the Pi connected with an assigned IP address?
    I found that depending on the router (probably configuration) that even though the Pi was connected wirelessly with a defined IP address my remote app scan failed to find it and instead I had to manually add the Pi by address and port in the app.
    If you add it manually and it still doesnt work its worth checking the Pi settings to confirm HTTP remote control is enabled.
    As Next suggested, using a static IP will make using the app easier as your Pi will always have the same IP Address. Most routers allow you to specify DHCP reservations.