1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Couple of Q's about the Panny PW6

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by ritchf, Oct 2, 2003.

1. ritchf

ritchf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All.

Anybody help on these?

1. Does the SCART module give the equivalent of a fully wired connection (SVid, Compost [sic] and RGB)?
    2. How does the auto-switching cope with a non-anamorphic RGB signal (I have had reports that Panny CRT's will only output 16:9 or 4:3 not any sort stretch mode)

Many thanks

Ritch

2. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    1) Yes

2) Not sure if it's quite the answer you're after, but the Auto mode does a good job of switching to 16:9, or into "Just" mode for 4:3 material which seems to have both a stretch and a zoom. i.e. it'll stretch something like channel4 news, which is a 4:3 broadcast, while it zooms on some material on The Hits - which is sometimes letterbox 16:9 in a 4:3 frame. It does get a little confused sometimes, bouncing around between different modes, but overall does a good job.

Edit: actually, that applies to something like a Netgem freeview box going in as RGB scart. Not sure if that qualifies as a non-anamorphic RGB signal.

Cheers, Carl.

3. ritchf

ritchf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the response Carl

My friend, who has a CRT Panny said that using a Sky box switched to RGB via Scart stopped the "Just" mode from working and it would only display a 4:3 picture in 4:3 of 16:9 (not "Just").

Ritch

4. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Ritch,

Just works, well, just fine ! Can't speak for how it works for Sky, but for freeview there's no problem. I've used an old Philips OnDigital box, Nokia, and now a Netgem into it with no problems.

I'm sure someone with a Sky box will be along shortly to put your mind at rest.

Cheers, Carl.

5. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    The Panny has the follwing screen sizes - 16:9, 4:3, Just & Zoom.

Zoom is what you would use for a non-anamorphic 16:9 image.

My NTL cable connected via SCART seems to be able to tell the screen the correct aspect ratio. Certainly for 4:3, 16:9 and zoom.

You can set in one of the menus whether the screen produces a 4:3 or a Just picture size for 4:3 images.

Hope this helps