• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

couple of points im confused on

onthejazzin77

Standard Member
Hi

Wonder if anyone could help me please

1. Do all HD ready sets accept 1080p signals but downscale them as necessary?

2. If I buy a PS3 - because it can upscale dvds - does that mean I dont need to buy an upscaling dvd player?

3. Do any tvs upscale dvds themselves with them being played through an ordinary dvd player?

thanks

craigd

Prominent Member
1. Do all HD ready sets accept 1080p signals but downscale them as necessary?

No some will, such as my Pioneer 427XD which will scale a 1080p (24fps) signal to fit its 1024x768 panel.

2. If I buy a PS3 - because it can upscale dvds - does that mean I dont need to buy an upscaling dvd player?

It is up to you to decide - a higher end DVD player could give better sound and picture quality but you need to demo one against the PS3 to see if the improvement is worthwhile. There is more than upscaling oinvolverd when judging a DVD player's performance - it is a bit of a buzzword in AV at the moment really.

3. Do any tvs upscale dvds themselves with them being played through an ordinary dvd player?

Yes - my DVD player was on the expensive side but I actually use the TV's scaler as I think it looks slightly better when comparing stills on a DVD (it prevents the picture from being scaled twice). In reality I don't think I could tell the difference during movie playback.

craigd

Prominent Member
It won't display a picture. For PS3 you would set the PS3 to output 720p instead for example.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom