1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Couple of PD30 questions

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Jason Jackson, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Jason Jackson

Jason Jackson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a Tosh 32MW8DG at the moment which I now realise I should never have accepted. It has a 3-4" line down the middle, it flickers on dark colours and the picture looks like it's constantly moving ie loads of ants if you know what I mean ( I use good scart/RGB cables with Sky+ and 717 DVD player).

I've ordered a 36" PD30 and want to know that I should expect a rock solid picture - no flicker, no lines, no ants. Are my expectations right or is some of this due to Sky digital and 100htz TV's?

Also reading some old threads before the likes of PD30 came along it seemed that it wasn't possible to see the benefits of prog scan unless you had a plasma or LCD. Does the PD30 rectify this properly or is it fudging it? I ask becasue I will be looking to get a HK DVD506 with PAL and NTSC prog scan - but if I won't see the benefit I won't waste my money.

sorry the posts so long thanks for any help.

2. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AFAIK, flicker, lines and ants are not known problems with the PD30 :D

I have a 36PD30 and the picture is, indeed, rock solid - with excellent colour, superb sharpness and perceived detail (Acuity processing), few digital artefacts :smashin:

However, 4 of the 5 sets I've seen (including mine, unfortunately) have suffered from varying degrees of colour impurity and "dirty screen" effect - defects that can't be fixed in the Service menu. :mad:

They all, IMHO, also suffer from an excess of green in the picture, overscanning, and an excessively contrasty presentation. These things, luckily, can be fixed in the service menu - but it's a pain having to do it :(

I hope for your sake that you've ordered from a "reputable" retailer with a relaxed and helpful customer service policy. Otherwise, be prepared to have to start quoting the Sale of Goods Act as you phone up to return your 2nd or 3rd "replacement" set!!

3. Jason Jackson

Jason Jackson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm buying from House of Frasier fot that exact reason and using my Barclaycard for price matching. So far the best price is £1699 inc 5 yr warranty.

4. Futski

Futski
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    blindlemon,

I have a PD30 and for the past 3 weeks I have been trying to get the picture quality to my liking.

I can access the service menu but would appreciate your advices as to your option as to the best settings to get rid of the excess green and contrast.

And as for dirty screen effect yes i have this as well and I am trying to see if i can live with it, as what i dont want to happen is to exchange it and the next one is worse !!!

Many thanks

5. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as I remember, I increased hi & low red & blue by between 30 and 50. I increased lo-green by about 20 also - as if you don't then the colour balance between light and darker tones goes out a bit. Also, the green edges are a lighter shade, so de-emphasising the lo-green doesn't really affect them.

For contrast control, I did fiddle with sub-bright to start with, and some people have reported good effects by increasing it. However, to my eyes, doing ths made the lighter colours look washed out, so I settled for reducing contrast in the normal menu and increasing brightness.

Using a THX setup disc, in my darkened room, I ended up with contrast around 25% and brightness around 60%. I know this sounds outrageous - but the default presentation of the PD30, with its black tinted glass, is very contrasty to start with.

6. Futski

Futski
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for this I will give it a go and report back.

As for Dirty Screen does yours have any of these marks.

I am not sure how serious mine is compared to everyone else who reports this problem. It only really shows up on Footie, but it is scattered all over the screen in varying shaped patches.

Just makes all grounds look like old trafford or watford...but its depressing.

But what I dont want is to have it replaced after a battle only to find that the next one is worse !!!!

7. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes :mad:

And so have 3 of the 4 other sets I've checked - 2 of which were offered to me as replacements! The marks may appear in different places on each set - but they're the same thing.

The only one I've seen that I think I could live with (much better, but still not quite perfect) is a display model in my local store - but that's been switched on 10 hours a day for the last 6 months.... :(