Couple of issues with my Philips 32pf9986.

nnicol

Established Member
Reaction score
Just over the last week or so I seem to notice that the picture has become very noisy. Lots of grain in the background of shots and especially with greens, browny yellow and whites seem dirty. Also a lot of pixelation of colours using a large amount of the screen like backgrounds, last nights Dr Who when he was in the big brother house with the green walls looked terrible. I also get ghosting sometimes. Not all the time but always at the end of the simpsons. When the credits get to the end where it says "Gracie Films" this is smeared across the screen. Also notice this slightly with the end credits on CSI:NY. Just a couple of examples. Most of the time it is fine on black with white on screen. All connections have been checked and are OK. Running RGB through Sky with IXOS leads.
Also the pixel plus is causing problems with certain shots. The aerial shots from CSI flicker on certain buildings and cause a jagged flicker pattern When watching the DTM motorsport and others the front grills of the cars flicker and look like they are moving. When the F1 is on and the last couple of races the presenters have been infront of the BAR hospitality with the yellow colour like shutters They constantly flicker and sometimes just become one complete colour in a jagged mess.
Can some one please coment if this has happened on their set. It seems much better if you turn off the pixel plus but that defeats the object of paying for it. I am sure it didn't do this when I got the set or it would have gone back. It is under guarantee so I think a call out is needed if no-one can help.
Thank you.

I run mine most of the time on 'Movie Plus' - I find PP2 to be a bit overprocessed as it interferes with the quality when watching good quality sources. PP2 encompasses the whole range of processing on this TV and you shouldn't feel obliged to use full processing if you don't require it. 'Movie Plus' is just PP2 with slightly reduced processing interference.

Check a couple of other things. Is your sharpness still set low (1-2). You may need your DNR on... but set it low.

Check your signal quality in Sky Services. This may have deteriorated.

Jimmy

It's running in "Movie Plus". Sharpness at 1 and DNR min. The picture has got better but the flicker problem is there unless you switch to "progressive scan" mode. It is not all the time. just on certain things. I have tried all the settings and have mentioned before that I can see no perceived difference between "Movie plus" and "PP2". Can you advise something to watch that will show the difference on screen. Thanks again for your help.

i had some pixellation problems on bright colours, i killed it instantly by switching off the colour enhancement in display options.

But i have a feeling its down to the source material, sky and cable is coded in mpeg2, which is pretty horrible at best. The bitrates are kept low on most channels (to save money on bandwidth).
But any subscription channels like movies, sport etc (especially pay per view films!) are shown in a much higher bitrate.

Id suggest checking the quality of those channels and seeing what your PQ is like before checking your TV.

The PQ seems to have improved and I would agree that it's down to the encoding and poor bitrates. The most annoying thing is the flicker problem. It is quite rare but very annoying when it happens.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom