1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Couple of HS2 questions?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Phil.LFC, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Phil.LFC

Phil.LFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Could someone please advise on the following?:

When using Partial Erase to cut out rubbish at start of a recording I then have to FF to the end to partial erase the rubbish on the end - is there a quicker way of reaching the end of the recording to perform the erase?

Also, is it better to always use FR mode when burning to DVD-R, whatever the length of the recording?

Finally! - if I want to watch Sky+ whilst dubbing HDD>DVDR then can I connect Sky+ VCR scart to TV AV2 for this occasional viewing? I'm not going to be doing this very often but the option would be nice.

Thanks

2. applevenus

applevenus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Q1 I'm not sure

Q2 I've been using XP mode for archiving DV tapes - I don't mind the extra couple of euro to archive important tapes. Not sure about FR - haven't really investigated it fully (yet)

Q3 I've done this - it's "only" s-video but better than nothing - it's amazing how used you get to RGB quality....

[edit - re-reading I realise you're talking about Sky+... I don't have that... yet.... in negotiations with she who must be obeyed]

3. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought that the VCR out was only composite, the same as other digiboxes. Are you sure it's s-video? Or, are you using the s-video output?

Dave

4. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Q1, there is no short cut.

Q2 XP for anything under an hour FR for everything over.

Q3 better than nothing, I get quite serious patterning via this input.

5. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    You can do this but as you have Sky+ you have a better option. Buy an S-Video lead that has an S-Video socket with two phonos on one end going to a scart on the other - put this into AV2 (this is assuming that your AV2 socket will accept an S-Video signal - you may have to change the setting of AV2 to allow you)

Or S-Video to S-Video along with the audio leads if your TV has that option.

S-Video will give you a picture almost as good as RGB - on some sets it may even be better.

6. Phil.LFC

Phil.LFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    :clap: Thanks for the answers:clap:

I'll hunt around for an s-video lead - got one somewhere!
    I'm sure my TV has an s-video option on AV2 or AV3, but there is definitely an s-video socket on the side (out of sight) that is labelled AV4.

Tell her it's brilliant, as it is, and SHE WILL love it too - my wife does! My 5 year old son even uses live pause now when he needs a wee-wee during Cartoons:rolleyes:

Seriously, Sky+ is fantastic and if she's allowed you to part with so much cash for the HS2, Sky+ seems great value!

7. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    The way I do it on my DMR E100 (may apply also to the HS2) is as follows....

Use the Time slip function in normal playback mode to quickly go near the end of the recording.

Add a marker.

Go into Partial Erase mode and skip to the marker which will take you near the end.

It would be a lot easier if you could use the Time Slip function whilst in Partial Erase mode which would make th ewhole process less long winded.