1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coupel of Questions re: Optical cable for GC and PS2

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Sami, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Sami

Sami

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    hiya,

I want to get two digital optical cables, one for my PS2 and one for My Gamecube so that I can hook them up to my Receiver.

Do I need to get special Digital Optical cables designed specifically for each console? Or can I use any kind of Digital Optical Cable?

Also, if anyone can recommend some good cheap leads or has soe for sale, please let me know.

Am also looking for a decent Super Video Lead for my Gamecube if anyone can help?

Cheers
    Sami

2. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Digital Audio Out on a GameCube is not possible (either via coax or optical) Neither is S-Video. The only choice you have is to get an imported component cable if your display device supports it, otherwise you are stuck with composite or RGB scart. It sucks, I know.
    PS2 is a different story, it supports RGB, S-Video, composite and component - as long as you have the right cables. It also supports optical audio, it is not a special PS2 cable, anyone that fits will do.
    Azzo.

3. Sami

Sami

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    I could have absolutely sworn I saw an optical out on my gamecube!!?!?!?

Ah well, I'll have to get that RGB cable from Game then that has the two audio leads!

Cheers

Sami

4. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    I would avoid the Game RGB cable, because the chances are it will be pants, and probably won't even output RGB. The Nintendo official RGB cable is your best bet, and run it into a SCART breakout box, or take a stereo out from your TV. Otherwise, it's the component (best option by far, as you can get prog scan out of NTSC games if you've got Freeloader), or get an NTSC cube, which can output S-vid.

5. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im trying to do a similar thing with my consoles, only problem is that my amp only has 1 optical input, anyone got any ideas where i could get an adapter of some sort?

6. AgentCool

AgentCool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    As I have mentioned in another thread, the GAME RGB cable is absolutely excellent, a decent and more useful alternative to the official cable. The scart is gold plated unlike the official one, and it IS fully RGB wired. As a bonus it also features 2 gold plated phono outputs which the official one lacks and the sound output from these is brilliant. Without question one of the best 3rd party RGB cables I have ever come across and it's a steal for £10.

7. AgentCool

AgentCool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    Maplin electronics do a 3 to 1 optical splitter with a manual switch. I have my Xbox and Sky+ box connected to one of these and there isn't any degration in sound quality as far as I'm aware. Best of all, it doesn't require a power supply.