1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Country of Manufacture for Arcam

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by krungthep56, Nov 12, 2004.

Tags:
  1. krungthep56

krungthep56

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi,

Quick question - can anyone advise on where Arcam currently manufacture? Does everything come out of the UK, or have they like Quad for example quietly slipped overseas?

Regards,

HT

2. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Most products, including all FMJ, all stereo amplifiers and all DVD players, are designed and assembled in the UK. The AV receiver family and a couple of other products have been designed by Arcam but are assembled in Asia.

HTH.

John Dawson (Arcam)

3. krungthep56

krungthep56

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi John,

Thanks for the swift reply: the reason I ask is that I live in Thailand and the local dealer has never heard of your AVR250 or 300. If they are manufactured in Asia, could you give me a clue as to where so I could hunt one down?

Regards,

HT

4. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    I would have to check at the factory next week for hard information on which distributors have this, but certainly Hong Kong and probably Singapore and Malaysia.

These units are very popular so I am somewhat surprised your local dealer has not come across them.

John Dawson (Arcam)

5. krungthep56

krungthep56

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi John,

Thanks for the information, I await to hear where they are stocked - Singapore, KL, HK are easy for me to travel to. The local distributor is really quite hopeless and the fact that they don't have stock of the new models shows how backward the distributor is. If I dig deep, I might find some grey market importers but prefer not to go there.

I believe that there is a tremendous market for your AV products in Asia - Arcam CD players for example are often seen in high-end setups because of their track record, but there remains a lot of marketing work that Arcam needs to do to break into the mainstream market and prise open the vice-like grip that Yamaha/Denon have (it's a bit like Ford competing with Toyota and Honda).

Give me a shout if you need any help and advice, Asia holds considerable potential for your company, and I am happy to help fly the flag.

Regards,

HT

6. Antpink

Antpink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    You can definitely buy these in Singapore. Expect to pay close to list for them though, as these are seen as fairly hi-end, and I guess the theory is that if you want an Arcam, your likely to pay for it as well. In contrast, the Japanese brands - Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer, Marantz etc are all steeply discounted from new. Example AVR300 is around S$2100, and the Denon 3805 was last seen at S$1400 (and maybe even less with some hard bargaining). Check with Monsoon (Singapore) for the Arcam. Also check the Arcam website, where there is a Thailand dealer at http://www.4d.co.th

7. krungthep56

krungthep56

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Antpink,

Thanks for the advice: Arcam AVR 300 at $S2100 converts as £685 against shop price of £1,300 ($S3990): without VAT at 17.5% (for non UK residents), it should still cost $S3,300, so $S2,100 is a very good price!

By comparison the Denon 3805 is £785(£650ex VAT) in UK shops, which equates to $S2,400/$S2,000 ex VAT, so while Singapore retail on Denon is discounted, it is not such good value as the Arcam.

With reference to the local (Thai) dealer, they are hopeless, - see previous message: they had never heard of AVR250/300 until I called. Arcam need to do some serious promotion to raise their profile.

Can anyone advise on availability and pricing for Arcam in HK or KL?

Regds,

HT

8. Antpink

Antpink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Sorry - my bad - I meant to type S$3100 - makes it around GBP 1000, I'm afraid. Must learn to preview before post, or even better, try and do it at a more reasonable hour! Depending upon what the exchange rate of the day is, when I was looking it was basically equivalent to UK price minus UK VAT. Sorry for the misleading post. Will now proceed to ruthlessly beat myself into submission and never do it again :lesson: .....

9. krungthep56

krungthep56

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Antpink,

Hold off on the beatings and flagellation, I have reserved them for the Bangkok Arcam distributor: pity really on the mistake, but never mind. I shall put on hold my plans for a purchase from Singapore for the time being, pending advice from Hong Kong and Kuala Lumpur.

Any ideas where in Asia Arcam manufacture – is it China like Quad and Marantz, or Malaysia like Pioneer??

Will await advice from Mr Dawson before deciding on best strategy.

Regards,

HT