• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Counting the days?

Nic Rhodes

Distinguished Member
Speculation time guys. How many days before we get HD 5.1 audio on the Toshiba HD DVD players as a firmware upgrade, there is an awful lot of very powerful silicon in there they are not using yet.....?

Another thought, battleship 'launch' players are often highly thought of. The Toshiba certainly fits the bill here, would you prefer this player over the replacement, if so why and what do you think the replace might give that we dont currently have?

My money is on dedicate silicon to make it faster but not much difference otherwise...:D

Uruloke

Established Member
I think the main selling feature compared to the HD-A1 would be quieter running. Tha fans required in the current players, while not being intrusive, are quite loud when compared to your average DVD player. Other than that I'm thinking space saving through a more compact unit and overall aesthetic.

AidenL

Distinguished Member
Nic Rhodes said:
Another thought, battleship 'launch' players are often highly thought of. The Toshiba certainly fits the bill here..........

I'm tending to think so too, hence I've just crumbled again and ordered an XA 1 on ebay :)

My money is on dedicate silicon to make it faster but not much difference otherwise...:D
If thats all, I can live without that for a year or two :)

Nic Rhodes

Distinguished Member
another thought, rumour has it that tripple layer capability is possible with a firmware upgrade, will they add it?

Chris Bellamy

Established Member
it certainly is a battleship build. Reduced fan noise would be top of my list for improvements.
I like the idea of the true HD, but dont want to take the TMREQ out of the loop, as I suspect it would make more difference.
Having got a HDA1 sooner than I'd planned, I've not yet received my 1st clutch of HD discs to watch on it! Where are you guys buying from?

chris

rover2002

Established Member
TrueHD audio will be nice indeed, but i think i'll wait for the U.S crowd to test the firmware first :D

degsmurr

Established Member
Hi all, I think you'll find it is still 1.4!

Degs

JohnWH

Established Member
Nic Rhodes said:
another thought, rumour has it that tripple layer capability is possible with a firmware upgrade, will they add it?

SUrely that would require the drive optics to have the ability to focus "deeper" or shallower into the disc? Would NEC really have that much slack in the drives?

Would be nice, but I'd be surprised if this rumor wasn't just fud.

John.

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
SUrely that would require the drive optics to have the ability to focus "deeper" or shallower into the disc? Would NEC really have that much slack in the drives?

Would be nice, but I'd be surprised if this rumor wasn't just fud.
The initial press release that announced 45GB disks, and every other mention since, has stressed that the new disks are compatible with old drives. Many examples on Google but here's one if you want a quick check:

Best news in all of this (and in fact HD DVD's major trick in general) it that these 45GB discs are still backwards compatible with existing [HD] DVD drives.

rover2002

Established Member
Rasczak said:
The initial press release that announced 45GB disks, and every other mention since, has stressed that the new disks are compatible with old drives. Many examples on Google but here's one if you want a quick check:
I was actully reading AVS and the insiders thread yesterday and it turns out the DVD forum has not approved the 45GB spec, so we won't see that enytime soon.

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
I was actully reading AVS and the insiders thread yesterday and it turns out the DVD forum has not approved the 45GB spec, so we won't see that enytime soon.
Yes, the 45GB spec isn't approved yet - as always the DVD Forum moves at the pace of a slug. As far as I understand though the format is finalised - just not approved yet.

That said there doesn't seem to be any real rush for it. With Single Layer HD DVDs producing an excellent picture the need for 45GB seems unnecessary for movies.

Nic Rhodes

Distinguished Member
Thats when I guess they might do it, I think it will all depend on how the evaluation copies cope (1.95) in the field. Could be earlier or later depending on problems.

rover2002

Established Member
Nic Rhodes said:
You never know it might be earlier than we thought :)
Rumor has it its tuesday. . . as always though rumors are rumors until proven otherwise:D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom