Counting in to the Start of a Piece of Music

RBZ5416

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
My granddaughter is at the very early stages of clarinet lessons. She has a book of exam music which has an accompanying CD. The CD has full versions of the music with the clarinet & also play-along versions with just a piano backing track.

The backing track has a count in but I don't understand it. Taking an example of a piece in 3/4, the count in is 1,2,3,1 & then silence equating to what would be beats 2 & 3 before the clarinet should start. The piano comes in a few bars later.

Trying to understand why the additional two beats need to be counted by the player but aren't called in the count & Google isn't helping me.

Crocodile said:
My granddaughter is at the very early stages of clarinet lessons. She has a book of exam music which has an accompanying CD. The CD has full versions of the music with the clarinet & also play-along versions with just a piano backing track.

The backing track has a count in but I don't understand it. Taking an example of a piece in 3/4, the count in is 1,2,3,1 & then silence equating to what would be beats 2 & 3 before the clarinet should start. The piano comes in a few bars later.

Trying to understand why the additional two beats need to be counted by the player but aren't called in the count & Google isn't helping me.

Are you sure the piece doesn't start on beat 2, that's usually why they do it as its harder to come in on an off beat.

Pretty sure. Here's the piece.

I'll get in touch with the publisher to day & see what they say.

It starts on beat 3 and I'm guessing the they're leaving out beat 2 to give it one beat of space between the count in and the start. This is normally done for performance reasons or if you wanted to make a recording of the piece. The 4 beats they do provide should be enough to get the tempo though.

What's the player you've used for the example Croc?

It starts on beat 3 and I'm guessing the they're leaving out beat 2 to give it one beat of space between the count in and the start. This is normally done for performance reasons or if you wanted to make a recording of the piece. The 4 beats they do provide should be enough to get the tempo though.

What's the player you've used for the example Croc?
Yes, your right. It is beat three. I'll have to wade through the other recordings to see if the pattern of a silent count is consistent. Just wondering how the player is supposed to know there's a silent count in order to sync with the backing track, unless it is standard ABRSM practice?

What I've actually done there is merge the backing & full tracks to add the count in from the backing track to the full piece. Did that so she can play along to the full piece before attempting just the backing.

The player is just the AVF MP3 tag avaliable on the format menu or if you quote my post you can see the manual tags.

Attachments

• MP3 Player.jpg
    MP3 Player.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 41

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom