1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Counterstrike:Source tactics

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Smurfin, Oct 31, 2004.

1. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    Keep getting killed in the first 30 seconds of a round?
    Fed up with dying so much?
    Sick of spending most of your time in Spectator mode?

As there's no doubt plenty of new CS gamers out there, I thought it useful to put together a few hints and tips for people unfamiliar to the game. If you're a "newbie" or even not, but feel your skills need brushing up, here's some pointers:

Learn the maps!

Sounds obvious, but the top CS players know the maps inside out. Try to master one map at a time, pick one that you like and play it and play it and play it!

There are a number of hiding places/areas of cover that people often use, you need to learn these to increase your kill ratio. If you're walking up on a "usual" hiding place or cover point, jump around the corner already firing! The chances are you will score a kill as bullets will be flying before the other person has had time to react (if they're hiding there that is). Doesn't always work, but when it does it's satisfying :)

Also, learn where the bottle-necks are; most maps have them (e.g the central tunnels in de_dust), and use these to your advantage i.e don't go charging into a bottleneck as you're sure to get your legs shot out from beneath you. These areas are prime for HE/flashbang devastation, just be careful that none of your team-mates are ahead of you!

If you're new to the game, another good tip is to hang back slightly from your teammates as a bottleneck is approached. If one of your buddies in front is killed before you, forewarned is forearmed as they say:)

Use your ears!

I'm always surprised to see people not reacting to what's going on around them. Your EARS are just as important as what gun you're carrying! A good tip - whether you're a newbie or experienced player - is to use headphones rather than speakers. It's FAR easier to judge where footsteps are coming from, and it may give you the edge in getting into position, readying yourself for an enemy appearing.

Listening for incoming footsteps is a sure way to increase your kills; if I hear enemies approaching and I feel I have time, I'll lob a HE nade in that direction, or if they're close possibly a FB, before jumping around the corner with my own little surprise :)

Use the radar!

The radar is an important tool, and when one of your teammates makes a call such as "Need backup" or "Taking fire need assistance" or "enemy" spotted, look at your radar and it will highlight the team-member who made the call. Again, it's a case of forewarned is forearmed!

Use cover!

I love it when I see enemies standing exposed in the open, completely static. Use cover around you! If you're watching a doorway for example, don't just sit there (unless you have very fast reactions), keep yourself tucked away and listen for footsteps, or keep ducking in and out of cover to check the entry point of the enemy. You'll last longer and surprise more enemies :)

Pick the right equipment!

Many new people just go for the biggest baddest guns they can afford, and forego all else. This is a mistake.

Kevlar and helmet are ESSENTIAL in a firefight, and will often make the difference between playing to the end of the round and racking up kills or sitting it out in spectator mode. Alot of people don't think to be the case, but it is VITAL. You might have an M4 and full load of ammo (costing nigh on $3500) but that's no good if my mP5 nails you to the wall easily is it?

Even on the first round of a map, BUY armour. I ignore nades, FBs, and buying better pistols; stick to the default, buy armour (you won't be able to afford a helmet but the kevlar will help) and a bit of extra ammo. As you progress through a round, you can always pick up spare nades and weapons from dead enemies or teammates.

If you're a CT, and if you can spare the cash, buy a defuse kit! They can make a big difference in winning or losing a round, and remember, if you defuse successfully it means ALOT more money for you next round.

Buy the right weapons!

The weapons vary significantly in cost, power, speed and recoil, and each needs to be mastered separately. Newbies who run around with AK47s are sitting ducks, as it takes a while to learn how to use it; many times I've faced an enemy with just a pistol, and beaten an AK. Why? Because they couldn't use the weapon.

General weapon hints are as follows:

Fire in short bursts, especially on the more powerful weapons. Heavy recoil means the spray area will be big, and you'll likely miss with more shots than connect with your target. This is especially important at long range also.

A good test is to find an empty server (or start your own game with just you and a friend), play a couple of rounds so you increase your money, then try out various weapons on a wall. Pick a point on a wall to aim at, use short bursts from various distances, then try a major burst: you'll see quickly which weapons are badly inaccurate during sprayage!!!

Remember that rifles are the most powerful weapons in Counterstrike: aside from the heavy machine gun and the Desert Eagle pistol, they are the only weapons which will penetrate cover such as boxes, to wound enemies. Aside from the sniper rifles, the Colt M4a and AK47 are most people's weapons of choice. The M4a is the easier of the 2 to use, with the AK47 being for good aimers only: even with armour, you can be killed by just a couple of well placed AK47 shots. The trouble is, the AK47 has horrendous recoil: short bursts are ESSENTIAL, or you're as good as dead.

My suggestion for new players is to - initially - stick to machine guns, such as the MP5 navy (it's the best allrounder). Ok so it's not as powerful but, as you're likely to die often initially, it's cheaper than most and you won't find yourself running out of money constantly. Master ONE gun at a time, and stick with one gun until you're good with it (unless you really can't get on with it to start with). Leave the rifles for now - especially sniper rifles as that requires a good knowledge of the maps and you'll largely be static if you find a good spot (and you NEED a good spot to use the sniper rifle well). And remember, although you'll be buying a cheap machine gun each round, you can always pick up better weapons from dead players.

Key binds!

Use keys which work for you! Personally I use the arrow keys, and dis-regard "turning" (I can look around fine with the mouse!), instead replacing them with "move left" and "move right", effectively strafing. Make sure "jump" and "crouch" are easy to reach and as you get better, "last weapon" can be essential (again make sure it's bound close to your movement keys, I use Numpad 0 for it); if you're in a one-on-one fight and you run out of ammo, you normally don't get chance to reload. So if you use "last weapon" you can switch automatically to the pistol and keep on firing to win that extra kill for your team. This tactic needs practice (you need to remember to switch and remember that although not as powerful, pistols still kick that health down and will score plenty of kills), not least in ensuring that the last weapon in the "memory" is the pistol or main weapon: no use switching to that smoke grenade!

General tactics

Aside from the bits above, here's a few other helpful hints:

A thing I often see is people running around with their guns aiming at the ground, or close to it. When that sneaky terrorist runs around the corner brandising his AK47, you lose precious moments if you gun's pointed at his feet rather than his head! So remember....as you move through a map, aim your gun at chest/head height all the time! If you're disciplined in this, it will pay dividends!

Use HEs and FBs! If you know enemies are round the corner, lob a FB to blind them before you jump around with all guns blazing - blind enemies = dead enemies, unless they have a lucky spray. Use walls and the environment to place these too - bounce them off the walls to get to the position where you want the HE/FB to explode...again, you need to learn the maps for this.

Aim for the chest/head: partly linked to running around with your crosshairs held high, but chest/head shots kill quickly (especially headshots). This takes practice, but be aware as you play of where you're hitting the enemy. Only practice will help you improve here...

Reload! Sounds obvious doesn't it, but remember IF there's opportunity, duck down behind a crate or duck back behind a corner to reload whenever you can. Even if I've fired only 1 bullet, I'll often reload anyway....that last bullet can make all the difference!

There's loads more hints, but that's all I've got for now. I'll add more if people want more....

Cheers
    Matt

ps If anyone wants me to talk them through some things in-game then my handle is MrGrumpie, if I'm free I'll be happy to jump on an empty server with you.

2. Mike Swannick

Mike Swannick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I may add......

When you play on the net for the first few occasions, expect to get completely hammered either by good players or cheaters. Some of the cheats used include assistance to aim, hit with headshots only, move around the map at lightning speed, climb into the sky/roofs otherwise unaccesable or sink partly below the ground, see through/shoot through walls. If another player claims a player is cheating, when you're dead watch their game as first person and see exactly how their movement & tactics differs from your own. Likewise do the same for a player who is doing particularly well as they will know the maps as Smurfin points out. Getting whacked every game by cheats is 100% frustrating!!

If it's taking an eon for you to kit up at the start of a round, look up the NextWish CS buy script software on t'internet. It allows you to key bind about 5x more options than the game itself and makes buying all your kit as easy as pressing 3 or 4 keys. It's not cheating unlike some of the hacks outlined above.

Lastly, it's a great game. I've been playing it since it came out and I'm still crap. If I acheive a kill:die ratio of 1:1 then I've had a good day. If you can find a server that plays proper tactics (ie proper attack/defend/rescue etc) then the game is so much better. I'm lucky, I can host a private LAN party for up to 11 people at my house where I can demand that style of play. LAN is definately the best way to play.

Good luck.

3. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Thanks for the tips I need them :blush:
    I was bloody terrible to start with, dieing about 10 times per one kill :thumbsdow but I'm begining to improve and I can usually get at least a 1:1 ratio. It's very frustrating when your a noob playing against good players who have been playing years but I think you pick the way to play up quicker as you can study movement and tactics from the masters. I'm still not entirely sure how to kill some one most effectively though as using the same principle doesn't always reap the same rewards :confused: I'm sure the collision and damage need some work as getting a good kill seems almost random and based a lot on luck not skill :suicide: I have often seen people get headshot kills when they're not even aiming for the head (not cheats btw) and like wise when I have hit someone whilst only their head was visable only gave them about 25 damage. I feel the score should be based on damage dealt rather than kills too as you can take several people down to very low hp without killing them to have someone finish them off and get credited with the kill :mad: Not really fair in my eyes and your score can sometimes not be an accurate picture of your indevidual performance.

Great game that keeps me coming back for ass kicking after ass kicking :p

4. Flystar

Flystar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Even better, hook your PC up via VGA to a huge fudge off 42" Plasma and set CS-Source to widescreen 1280 x 720 resolution. Looks absolutely the dogs pods !!!

Get more baddies on the screen at once :rotfl:

fly

5. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    I have a theory about CS (I've only really played source to any degree so I'm really still a noob but I'm not too bad ...midway up the rankings most games and sometimes I surprise myself!)

However I've noticed some things that make me think that there is more going on than just basic collision detection : I think there is a statistical weighting going on beyond just the raw physics of the game.

For example.
    If you spot someone first you have a higher chance of killing them regardless of any weaponry differences (ie your chances of hitting go up before you even open fire)

If you are outnumbered (ie run into a bunch of enemy ) or conversely you are within a certain range of a team-member (ie playing properly and backing each other up) you seem to increase the chance to hit/kill compared with being on your own. Again this is before anyone opens fire and even if your team mate doesn't fire a single round.

If you blind someone ,its easier to headshoot them , again nothing to do with actual aiming , I think your statistical cone of fire gets larger if you like.

Now its possible to read this two ways either the games physics engine is all that plays a role and its just the differing situations which give you a real world advantage and any assumed statistical weighting is merely an illusion/paranoia depending on your mindset or there is an additional system of probability rules at play.

maybe chicken and egg . Is it easier to head shoot someone because you got the drop on them or does the fact you got the drop on them give you a better chance of headshooting as a matter of course.

I haven't made my mind up about CS but sometimes its behaviour strikes me as odd as well as strangely predictable after a while.

6. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    Sorry, I think it's wrong :D

7. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    Very wrong :)

BTW what you see on the FP view when you are dead is usually not accurate, most the time it seems to be a little off to the right and usually pointing down too.

CS is purely about quick reflexes and skill and a little luck sometimes. However, I have watched a couple of my mates play (they were in one of the top ranked clans in the country) in the flesh and the way they play is just unreal, I am sure they can headshoot with their eyes closed. It is just knowing where to keep the cursors.

The only thing I have noticed in Source is that the hitboxes seem to be slightly different to normal CS.

8. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Ah well I'm sure you are right. I'll see you in there.......pussies! :thumbsup:

9. Chanser

Chanser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    CS:S has a few cheaters in there :(.

10. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Saw some people in there last night that were being accused of cheating . Normally its just newcomers bitching about being headshot but I noticed some of the more experienced players (including server admin) were banning a few people for cheating.

What gives?

11. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    Alot of admins simply don't have the experience - and because several people have cried cheat they ban a player. I watched it happen on the A-Lan source server the other day.

The MAJORITY or cheat accusations are usually bogus - I say that from experience of being a cheat hunter admin - watching games specifically to catch potential cheaters.

I have as yet to come across a definate cheater within a source game I have been in.

12. sapperjohn

sapperjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Definitaley a saw someone moving quicker than anyone else in a CS:S game yesterday. The movement even looked different to other players. Also seemed to have more than 1 flashbang per round. Dont know whether its a "hack" or console command but it was real.

13. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    You can buy two flashbangs per round but also pick up fb's that have been dropped by dead players ;)
    I've seen some people moving very fast too and assume they were using a speed hack. They didn't last on the server I was playing very long though :)

14. Thrash

Thrash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was a former Wireplay and Blueyonder CS admin and although there used to be a fair amount of cheating going on, it was always easily spotted. Some players are just very very good and get accused on a daily basis despite there being no real evidence of them cheating.

15. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    Indeed:) Most people who complain of cheating just aren't as good as the top players....

16. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Switching to pistol/knife and I assume grenades allows you to run faster than when carrying the primary weapon.

I've never encountered anyone runnign faster than this .
    running and leaping also moves you around quicker I think.

17. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
  18. Thrash

Thrash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Running and jumping is called bunny hopping and used to make you move quicker if done right, however a while back they introduced a measure that slowed you down if you run and jump.

19. Mike Swannick

Mike Swannick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got my hardcopy on pre-order from Play for HL2, so I haven't played CS:S yet. What is the ladder thing?

Also, there were posts in a CS newsgroup to CS:S cheats a few hours ago.

20. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Just had a stellar game over at A-lan with the overclockers chaps.(Shame you left when you did ethics gradient or you could've witnessed it:(). My score for all to see:-

I'm still not too sure what works best as it never appears to be very consistent. Where I aim never seems to net the same results from game to game. I'm some what confused as sometimes it take a whole clip to kill some one or just one bullet :confused:
    Hopefully the net code will get an overhaul and make it a bit more reliable otherwise you'll have to continue to second guess where the players damage model actually is. :(

Attached Files:

21. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    Can't read your score Hawklord:)

22. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    The score is 23/11 against good players too imo;)

I couldn't get the image any clearer I'm afraid. :blush:

Attached Files:

23. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    My little sister rang .... then T3 and Sling Blade came on the telly ...... annoying distractions from CS ;)

I've noticed your game improving somewhat from the first few games I saw you play..

..... don't get over fixated on hitboxes and net code ... some times you play and it looks like nothings going right and somethings actually up with cs ..... usually it isn't ... its you. There sometimes can be issues with your connection to the server - but quite often its down to a small lack of concentration - you learn to spot it after awhile - once you get reasonably good at CS you start playing at a different level .... but that requires more effort and concentration than how you were playing when you first started.
    Even minor lapses can put you off for a full map - happens to everyone.

Also - sometimes a player or team will get the jump on you and you start to panic abit ... or hold back and start fearing seeing them. It happens sometimes when I am playing on form, players that usually are pretty competent start making silly mistakes and hideing from me - and when they shoot, they are that paniced they often miss .... thats when my scores start going through the roof.
    --- but they same happens in reverse ... I can have a cracking map, then next maps start worrying when i get shot a couple of times and end up letting far less skilled players beat me easily.

Had a few nice 36 - 6 , 38 - 4 's ... then went crap today .... it happens :p