counter strike source

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by rvdbarnes, Nov 5, 2005.

1. rvdbarnes

rvdbarnes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi people!

just wanted a few tips for my first go at playing the above online, servers etc for a newbie!!
    anyone here online, and available for a game now, show me the ropes?

rvd

2. semiskimmed

semiskimmed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    alright mate, best thing to do is just make your own server and use the bots as opponents. this will let you get used to the maps and stuff so you know where to run to if in trouble etc.
    :)

3. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    Yeah, you need to practice a lot. One shot kills. Aim for the head and shoot fast.
    Its a very unforgiving game. I actually stoped for a while and went back to it recently to see all the new maps and I couldnt shoot to save me self!

I had to give up after a few minutes.

Best thing to do is try out all the weapons then pick the one you feel most comfortable with then practice using it.

Use bots set to the lowest levels first then take them higher and higher.

Finaly play agains humans.

4. semiskimmed

semiskimmed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    i used to get so frustrated with playing online i gave up after only 1 day playing it, ive been going back to it now and again and i can actually have a game now without scoring nil
    :D

5. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +430
    biggest tips I can give you:

1 - learn the maps ..... play them on your own - just create a game on your own and run around to the objective sites ... look at the various cover and obvious choke points.

2 - learn the sounds ... listen to the weapons and grenades and how footsteps sound on different floors ... its a great way of guessing where people are.

3 - don't bother trying to buy the big one shot rifles too soon - they take ALOT of practice to be good with and will often get you killed fast if you aren't good.
    Alot of people whinge and complain and call people 'noobs' for using an AWP ( the big single action sniper rifle ) - but trust me, its takes alot of skill to be able to hold onto it when you are rushed.

4 - play around with all the weapons on your own ... try shooting at markings on the walls from various ranges to get a feel for the accuracy and firerates.

5 - some weapons are close range, some short and a few multi purpose - see what the maps like and where you are going to be postioned -- sometimes if your team is whinning and you are rushing or you are loosing and haveing to defend, your normal choice of weapon will have to change to suit the tactics ..... along with ofc what money you have to spend.

6 - watch the good players and the tactics ... CS is not a game of just run about shooting, there are no health packs or armour pickups - just the gear you buy at the start of the round .... so if u get shot you stay damaged.
    When u die you sit out till the start of the next round - so being cautious and presserving ammo is a good idea ...

--- I'm not playing at the moment due to being obsessed with WoW ;) .... but I used to play it virtually every day for 3 or 4 years ... its a superb game - quick paced and tactical.... don't be put off when you die on your first few games .... stick with it and it will 'click' and you'll be stacking up those frags ;)

6. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +331
    We all miss you EG :clap:

Great advice from a quality player. I have tried the AWP on many occasion and just can't use the damn thing still :blush: I love my M4 though and can usually pop heads with that from quite a distance ;)
    When I first started playing the game I tended to hang around the T-OcUK and servers with a higher calibur of player. You do get killed a lot more initially but when your dead you can observe the better players (those generally with the 34-3 score lol). You can get a better feel for what works in what situation when your watching the best in action.
    Try to find a good server with good admins as they'll often show you the ropes and point out where you might be going wrong. Publics can be good fun but also a real pain in the :oops: and you can get a bit of abuse :thumbsdow
    If you last the distance and nail the basics why not look into joining a clan. Clan based matches involve a lot more team work to succeed and adds a whole new dimension to the game.

Come join us for a game on our server if you like (see sig for ip).

A few more tips here:-

http://www.planethalflife.com/cs/strategies/general.shtm

Happy fragging :smashin:

P.S. If you ever feel like coming out of retirement Ethics and want to join a clan I'll keep a set warm for you in .:iGi:. :cool:

7. wormvortex

wormvortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +443
    m4 and deagle all the way, dunno is source has one but try and find a different sound pack. The one i have for 1.6 is one step off esp u can hear absoulty everything if u have earphones in.

The game aint easy to get used to, i stopped playing cs for about 4months and still am finding it hard to re-adjust, pm or send me a message on msn/aim/xfire if u wanna play sometime

8. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    best thing to do, for the first few weeks, just buy a deagle (Desert Eagle, called Nighthawk in the game itself) and armour.......it only has 7 bullets in a clip and you only get 30 odd bullets total if you buy extra ammo, but its a powerful gun, one shot to the head should kill, 3 shots to the body should kill, sometimes 2 do if they have no armour.......thing is, its pretty much 100% accurate up to quite a long range with the first shot....especially if you crouch.....if you fire quickly however it can be a little less accurate, but not as bad as other guns......

once you've learned to shoot this gun, anything else is a doddle ;-)

btw, whatever you do, if you ask how to do something or get something and people say press F10....DONT!..lol...its the standard close game button, will take you straight back to your desktop....heh....

oh and as mentioned above, dont even think about using the AWP untill you've been playing for a while and got very good with other guns......if used correctly its the best gun in the game, but for most people its only safe to use as a long range sniping gun...other people (myself included) are cheeky and use it as a close combat gun, roaming around office corners with it and shooting someone in the side of the head from point blank...heh (this things barrel is so long you could make a female elephant happy with it..lol)

if you goto www.lathwood.com they have a couple of 24hr office map servers you can use, the people on there are usually fairly friendly, altho a lot of them are also very good......the map cs_office tho is a good starter map, it affords a number of ways to go round shooting people which means you can take time and have a chance to shoot people if you hang back a little.......

the best thing to remember tho is to just have fun, to begin with you will most likely die lots having killed no one.....dont worry, dont get frustrated, most people start like that unless they played a lot of other online shooter games.....give it time and you get better.....unless you play for a couple of months and still finish a map with 3 kills and 25 deaths everytime, then i'd say try another game...lol

9. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    oh if you want to practice against bots, rather than use normal size maps which can take ages just to find a bot to shoot, download a map to enter in your maps folder called aim_ak_colt (or similar text, there are many varients)......this will be a small square map with a few high concrete walls, set up a game server on your own computer (so just you play on it) with 3 bots to begin with......this way you get to find them straight away almost and can practice aiming with rifles (the Ak and the M4 colt, both automatic fire guns, CT's use the M4, T's use the AK).....then you can gradually add more bots as you get better...

but to be honest, you should do say half hour of this before you go on a public server to play against real people, just to get your aim and movement in, then once you've been playing for a month or so you shouldnt have any problems killing people :)
    (er, in the game i mean..heh)

10. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +430
    the M4 is the best utility weapon in the game for the cash - with a silencer you are harder to spot and its a tad more accurate - without it has a little more punch.
    Its a reasonable distance weapon, yet still pretty lethal in close range spray.

with hand guns, its good to practice with the default weapons for each side - the USP for the CTs and the glock for the Ts -- sometimes you need to be saving cash for better weapons or other items or simply might have to fall back to using one due to running out of ammo with a different weapon ...... often if u buy a DE ( desert eagle ) you run out of ammo and have to throw it and pick up a pistol of an allied or enemy corpse ... and if u happen to pick up a glock, its good to be able to maximise its usefulness.

I used to play entire maps using on a pistol just for the practice -

11. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    when im on public servers i almost exclusively use the deagle......with a few flashes and a HE for getting past snipers...heh
    only time i use a rifle or other gun is if i pick one up, sometimes i'll use it for my next kill then throw it away....

in matches i either go with pump shotgun on tight levels like prodigy, or an awp on levels where its good to be able to see long range...lol