1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Counter-Strike : Source

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Pulsar, Aug 20, 2004.

1. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone had got this beta yet via the steam service?

I understand that it is free to download if you have the latest counter-strike game. I have never played counter-strike, and was wondering if this was a good time to start playing it? :)

Cheers

Rob

2. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    :eek:

You have never played the greatest online game to ever grace the face of this planet!?!??!?

Anytime is a goodtime to start playing it :)

I don't have the beta for source and haven't played CS for a while (I usually return to it every 3 months or so). I would wait for HL2 to come out, then get the full mod.

3. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I started playing in June 2001. It was described to me as having similar qualities to liquid crack. It's the only game I've played for more than a few hours in the last 3 years....

The community isn't what it once was though and 1.6 sucks. I've yet to try any of the new variations.

4. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,171
    I'm in CS:Source Beta, whilst it needs a bit of tweaking, it shows that the HL2 engine has alot of potential...it rocks!:) The physics are superb......

IMHO that's a bit of a case of rose tinted specs, I've played since around the same time too, and there were tw*ts then and there are tw*ts now, imho the community is no different, it's just a bit bigger. The secret - as I've found in the past - is finding a good "home" server where you generally know the other players (or will do over time), and find other players who hate cheaters as much as you do...oh and a good skill level always makes for challenging fun:) If you can't find this though then I would tend to agree that the community can become frustrating. What's wrong with 1.6?:confused:

5. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Can i just clarify...if i buy the retail CS game i can download the new super duper looking CS via Steam?
    Not played CS for ages been DOD only for the last 3 years but a nice new engine might persuade me to splash out on CS retail just to pass the time till HL appears.

Cheers
    Panic

6. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,171
    If you buy Condition Zero then yes....but is it worth it? HL2 is out next month....

7. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I am part of a community for CS, but it's US based, a 140 ping can be frustrating when you can have a 20 ping instead.

1.6 runs like crap compared to previous versions. It's needs a lot more power and even then is not nearly as smooth.

8. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    True if indeed it does appear next month.... :rolleyes:
    Thanks for the clarification though.

Panic

9. Oddbodd

Oddbodd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I've just bought Condition Zero for £14 from my local game store and I'm downloading the source as I type this (71 minutes to go :boring: )
    I've had a quick blast on a mates computer and it "ROCKS" :D
    Cheers,
    Oddbodd.

10. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,171
    Agreed if your mates are all american! 1.6 runs fine on my machine:)

11. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    Looks pretty nice - yet to try it out properly with a decent multiplay setup.
    I bought Counter Strike Condition Zero purely to DL source .... how sad am I ;)

...... mind u I can still get plenty of multiplay out of CZ until HL2 rolls out :p

PS: Just to annoy anyone without the latest hardware

..... cs source grafics test: 1600x1200 6xAA 16xAnsio all options HIGH + reflect all .... 65fps

god I am happy I bough myself a new gfx card for my Birthday ( admittedly a little previous )

12. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    OMG! CS Source is AMAZING!
    I just downloaded it through steam, and it rocks! The Phisics and graphics are sooo good. And its still in beta!
    Cant wait for the full version! Does anyone know how long we can play this version for?

13. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Right I must be missing something, here is my experience of CS: source. Log on and join a game, tool up and set out, get shot, wait for 4:40s while game ends to do the same again, what is the attraction. I just don't get online gaming. :confused:

14. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    LOL. Maybe you should practice.

15. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,171
    Load up normal counterstrike, find a nubs server (there are a few), and practice with the noobs until you get better:)

Counterstrike is superb, but like anything it does take practice. There are alot of people out there - like me - who have played the game for 3-4 years...

16. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    CS is a strategic game.

Source comes with Dust, try to play as CT (Counter Terrorists) to start with as that is the easier side on that map.

Let everyone else rush off and hang back a little. You will still likely get shot when you eventually see a terrorist, but you hopefully won't get cut down in the first wave of rushers.

CS requires lots of practice and tbh not everyone is going to get good at it. It does require you to learn the maps, the weapons and what your opponents are likely to do (well for clan matches anyway).

17. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,171
    A few other tips:

Crouching when you fire makes you more accurate

Fire in short bursts - spray and pray will usually end up with you dead, and some of the weapons are extremely inaccurate if you're loosing off a whole clip without pause

Aim just above the enemies heads

LISTEN to the environment: good players will spend alot of time listening, and reacting to what they hear. Are the footsteps in your left ear or right? Anticipation is just as important as fast reactions! (headphones are better than speakers for this also).

If you can afford it ALWAYS buy armour, but always buy your weapon of choice first...nothing worse than getting kitted out in full armour then discovering you can't afford to buy a gun!

If your team is struggling and money is tight, do a couple of ECO rounds i.e don't buy anything except ammo for your USP/Glock pistol and a HE grenade...you might die quicker (but equally you might be able to pick up the gun of your teammates if they die), but next round you'll have enough cash to buy that M4 and full Kevlar:)

18. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    About the kevlar. I found it useles, since u still get headshotted by all the snipers runing around.
    My advice is to pick your favorite gun, learn how to use it and aim for the head. Move slowly, dont rush it, and with source, i found that a few new things like the flash light can be used to blind people.
    Flashbangs can do the same, but remmebr if your too close it will blind u too!

Learn the environments

19. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,171
    You'd be HE fodder for me then;)

20. morksbeanbag

morksbeanbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    i hear Half life 1 is also to be ported across to source. that should be awesome. AML you should be able to overclock your cpu more than that, i have a 2.8e overclocked to 3.2ghz with stock cooling and stock voltage. get a better CPU heatsink and add a tad more voltage. or you could buy my watercooling rig off me. :)

21. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    Kevlar is indispensable.

I never usually have a problem with snipers, I don't stick my head out long enough down long alleyways for them to shoot me.

If I know someone has an AWP I simply don't go that way and try to come up behind them. Other than that wait for them to move, they don't call it camper strike for nothing :p

22. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    If you look at the statistics for the average player accuracy - you tend to find most shots hit the legs and arms followed by the chest then head.
    Without Kevlar, a single shotgun rnd to your body will be lethal regardsless of it clipping your head or not.
    ALWAYS buy Kevlar unless you really know what you are doing and have calculated the risks requireing a better weapon to win a rnd / match.

As others have said - SOUND is THE MOST IMPORTANT thing in CS.
    even if u are a bad shot - knowing that an enemy is comming around the corner at that precise time means u can be prepare and be fireing before he knows whats happening.
    Different surfaces make different noises - learn them on a map and you can place players VERY accurately. Ex - if you hear a ladder being used and its not a team mate ( check radar ) - knowing the direction the sound came from roughly - and knowing where the ladders are on a map - means u can tie down the player to a very specific location ..... and be waiting for him when he surfaces.
    So many players run around like idiots - never listening - always makeing noises - then complain when they get shot - usually the same ones that whinge about AWPS and Camping........ because they believe they are good, but in reality they haven't learn't how to play properly ................... they are usually the first to shout WALLHACKER - because their smaller brains can't comprehend how else you could have worked out they were hiding ( even though they keep switching to knife or reloading ... which makes a lovely noise to track down ;) )