Counter Strike Source Help Required

Hawklord

Prominent Member
Reaction score
After purchasing the HL2 Silver pack I have downloaded everything and I'm now in a position to start playing Counter Strike Source. I had a go for a couple of hours last night and was suitably impressed with the graphics and physics engine along with the gameplay.
I wasn't however very impressed with the atmoshere generated by the people playing on the severs I played in. Why is it that because your new to counter strike nobody is prepared to give any assistance and all you seem to get is abuse and noob bashing :mad: I feel this game has lots of potential and would be able to give most people a run for their money after learning the ropes but feel that the whole experience is being hampered by the peoples attitudes I have encountered initially.
Does anyone know of any welcoming servers where good natured people play who are prepared to take time out and make this game an enlightening experience or am I on a lost cause.?

Does anyone want to host a game (I have 512mb adsl but I'm not sure how many players my system would cope with) or point me to some servers that are more people freindly (if they exist).

I've never ever experienced this kind of hostility playing multiplayer before and have enjoyed my time playing quakeiii, UT, BHD and joint ops over the years without this kind of problem rearing it's ugly head.

Maybe I may have to give Counter Strike a miss :thumbsdow

Hmmmm,I downloaded and played last night as well and didnt have any problems.On entering servers I was even anouncing "I AM A NOOB AND PROUD"I was very,very rusty as I havent played this game for about 2 years and was getting slaughtered in the beginning but didnt experience any hostility :confused:

I played on a few different clan servers for a couple of hours with no hassle and ended up on 1 of the Jolt servers,which had about 20 people in there and was a little hectic to say the least but had a good laugh.TBH there seems to be a lot of "noobs"on last night so perhaps it was a case of some of the old heads losing patients with people calling the game Camper Strike,etc :laugh:

I felt quite welcomed in some servers,people were even complimenting me on my name,perhaps you should change yours from Priv8t Pile to something more suitable like mine(MingeDribble :smoke: ).

( :offtopic: Hawk,have you registered for Joint Ops escalation Beta?Got my e mail this afternoon with the download link but Im stuck in work :suicide: )

It is difficult to recommend servers there are so many.

I have usually found JOLT to be fairly ok, the best is to try and find a good clan server with regulars, esp if the clan is not the best in the world but plays for fun. It has been so long since I played last that the clan servers I played on no longer exist.

Im stuck in work till 9,so will probably be on later for a blast.More likley to be checking out JO Escalations though :cool: (I dont get killed so quickly in that :blush: )

I was also a bit angry at first coz i kept geting shot and never got any kills.

Basically hang back, let the noobs rush in ahead of you!

Experiment with weapons untill you find the best one for you.

Learn the maps.

Learn the objectives. (you can always win in more than one way. ie rescue hostages instead of killing all the opponents)

Ive won without firing a single shot.

Aim for the head.

Start off in smaller servers with fewer people. Gives you chance to roam without seeing too many enemys.

Im sure others can give more advice. It is a hard game, but once you get into it, it becomes addictive.

Remember, HL2 wont have multyplayer, this is it!

I can give a bit more advice now I am out of work :)

As far as what AML says, I agree pretty much 100%

My tips :-

Always buy armour if you can afford it.
If you can only afford armour, say 2000 dollars and below, then an option is don't buy anything and save the money for the next round.

Types of weapon

Pistols

Keep your starting pistol, don't waste money buying the others. As you get better you may want to upgrade and practice with the desert eagle, the biggest pistol, it only has 7 shots but is usually guaranteed take down in two hits.

Shotguns

These are limited use, they are good fun (I used to specilise in them) but they are only usuable on close quarter maps. Long range you won't hit diddly with them.

Machine Guns

Fairly accurate but low damage, these are good starter weapons, they usually will take quite a few bullets to kill someone, but they are good to get used to the recoil. They excel in low recoil so you can spray your bullets and they will stay fairly close together.

Rifles

These are the real meat of the game. They are powerful, very accurate, but you cannot sustain fire with them. Anything above 3 rounds shot in a row and you will be wildly inaccurate. Learn to shoot in small bursts and while crouched. Rifles with scopes can be handy if you want to camp mid-long corridors, but their damage is slightly reduced and they are a little less accurate.

Snipers

I wouldn't bother with these for a while, many people call them n00b cannons, but to be a successful sniper you need to be handy with one and pistols.

Machinegun

This is a laugh, use if you have the cash and want some fun.

Remeber this is a strategic team game, try to follow the good players and give them back up.

Get used to looking at the radar to see who is near you, make a note of people's names you are covering, if you see them die you know someone is near.

Don't run out in wide spaces, stick to walls and remember to use walk quite often and pause to listen for footsteps.

Thanks for the tips... I am a complete CS novice and currently finding things very tough!

Any sites cover the basics? I've looked for in game help but cant seem to find any...

How does the cash work? Where do I get it?

So far each game seems to last 30-60secs followed by either 'terrorists' or 'CT' win... is it always that quick?

Many thanks,

Mark.

Yeh is there a online manual to explain things as it's complete guess work on my part too. I'm even finding it hard distinguishing who's freind or foe and by the time I've decided I'm hitting the ground dead:(

If you come to css.arsclan.net and say you know me you should be treated well (I'm an admin there) :)

Look for players with an [Ars] tag, tell them you are new and they should give you some tips. If you can hang on I'll teach you myself but I'm out of the country for the next few days.

That server is in the US so you will probably ping 125-150 but as you are new it won't make a huge difference.

Hawklord. Have you tried the DOD source as well? From experience newbies are treated a lot more friendlier on Dod servers rather than CS one's. I haven't played CS in years due to the uncoperative nature of experienced players and have been Dod'ing ever since , although it is a different sort of gameplay admittedly.
Can i ask as well when you signed up to Halflife2 , will you actually get the Halflife disks sent through to on release or is this a completly disk free service from Steam?
I ask as i seem to re-install my system every 6 months or so and would need the cd's or dvd to hand so i thought i may need to get the retail version to ensure this.
If you get everything posted out to you come the release date i think i'll sign up to the Gold package when i get home just to play DOD on source.

Cheers
Panic

You don't get any discs but i will just take a back up of all the files on my hd when it's all installed which will save having to dl the 6 gb I currently have. DOD source is not yet available to play but is installed on my system. It will be unlocked when released proper. If you get the gold pack all the other items apart from the software (which you have to dl) will be sent to you but will take 6-8 weeks:(
If you don't want to wait get it over steam but if you can wait I'd advise you wait for the retail version. more info here:-

http://www.steampowered.com/?area=news

Thanks for the quick reply. If it's only CS source available just now i think i will wait for the retail release and be patient. Got Call of Duty available to keep me going meantime anyway.

If someone is giving you hassle just ignore it. This is a game its supposed to be fun if someone playing on an open server is bragging and namecalling then chances are they will be about 12 years old.

Have a laugh if someone else isn't thats there problem...wind them up if you feel like having more of a laugh but be respectful to other players and don't ruin the game.

You could try www.dvf.org.uk, its the resident DVD Forums clan server. Register on the forums and ask for advice. Its a server thats been on the go for quite a while and its main aim is for fun play, although there are some very good players on there. Very good adminning and banter.

Have added the server to my favourites will take a look later :)

Does anyone know where to get good "spray paint" badges for CS source?

Biggest tip for CS ----- Learn to use sound.

Load up maps offline on your own a couple of times and learn where:

- start points are
- Hostage rescue points
- Bomb plant targets

Run around the map from each start point and spot the routes to and from the target locations - so you know where to go yourself ..... and also where your enemy is comming from.

Always be aware that CS doesn't play like Quake - there are no respawns , health packs etc - you get shot you stay shot...... this means that running around like a loon = spending alot of time dead watching others play.

When you are familiar with the map layouts - start to watch other players and where they go ... note down the most used routes, the regularly well defended routes and hiding spots.
Look behind boxes and into corners when u move and always cover your back.

There will be very good players about, but in general, even long time players make silly mistakes you can capitalise on. Players who have been running around for 6mnts still don't always cotton on to using the sounds of gun fire , footsteps , ladders and surfaces to locate hostiles.
On most maps plenty of players will run around like mental lemmings - check your radar to be sure its not a team mate and then open up as you guage their footsteps comming to the corner or doorway and let them run straight into your fire.

Learn the times it takes you to travel from the start to mid points on the map ------ work out at which points you will start to incounter enemies ... so you know how far you can run before haveing to take care and cover....... that way you can gain ground quickly with low risk and be prepared and ready to shoot down the enemies careless front runners.

The site I belong to no doubt has its source servers up, but I am out of the country untill next weekend...... so no dl'ds for me till I get back :(

Avoid the big public servers, Jolt have their own public servers ( avoid ) but host clan servers that are often public ( better option ).
If you go on the public servers of big hosters you will encounter the worst kind of net trash - silly little boys swearing , shouting cheat , team wounding and gernerally messing up the games ............. this is what puts most people off CS ..... and why I only play on our own servers usually.

If anyone is still struggling with learning the ropes when I am back from working abroad next weekend ... and I have dl'd HL2 source retail .... I will be happy to give a few players a guided tour around the CS tips and tactics in game during the odd evening.

some of the nicks I play under:
Simulacrum Dei
Just Read the Instructions
Ethics Gradient

Offical Nick: Rmag

Ethics Gradient,

thanks for the great advice! :) I'd love to play with ya. :D

Might be a good time to get an Avforums game up :)

Try also evoclan's server, cant remember the IP, goto www.evoclan.net

They seem like nice ppl and am sure they wont be yelling "NOOB, etc"

If you see me on, will give advice no probs, my handle is GraffiX,
use to run my own clan years ago :D CS beta 4 hehe

I could probably host a small match tonight but I've only got 512 adsl so don't know how many players my system could handle. Other spec's are A64 3500+, 2 GB PC3200 memory so probably up to the job but not sure my bandwidth is enough:(
Let me know I'll be playing tonight whatever so If your likely to be around my tag is Priv8pile. Should we prefix our names with AvF to identify us and make it easier to find ppl?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom