Council Tax Benefit Amount Being Cut

Discussion in 'Politics & The Economy' started by dazza74, Aug 13, 2012.

1. dazza74

dazza74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,394
    Got a letter through today, looks like my local council are proposing cutting council tax benefit by 25% from next year. What it effectively means that 25% is that your contributions each month will more than double.

I don't know, just gets harder by the day. The thing about council tax benefit is that you've got to be pretty much skint to qualify for it, it's all income and savings related. I wouldn't mind so much, but all I get is me refuse collected every other week.

2. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,319
    Not quite sure what this is?

People on low earnings get help with paying their Council tax? What's the limits?

If it wasn't so blooming high in the first place then benefits might not need to be applied.

3. dazza74

dazza74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,394
    Low earnings (I'm self employed) and unemployed pretty much only qualify. You don't currently get it if you have assets or savings worth more than £16k which they also mention cutting to around £6k. I don't really have an issue with the asset side of things, I only every started claiming this benefit when I ran out of savings to pay it. In my case I pay about £12 a month (Over 10 payments) as opposed to about £78 a month if I didn't qualify for any council tax benefit. My calculations make it I'll have to find about £27 a month (Over 10 payments) from April if this goes through.

4. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,319
    Fair enough on the Asset cut if that goes ahead. I'd agree with that. £12 or £27 a month sounds like a pretty good deal (£90 I was paying) but it's all relative I guess depending on ones circumstances.

CT should either be based on income, number of people in the property or scrapped altogether and just added into Income tax. Think i'd favor the latter as maintaining it is just another load of bureaucracy we could do without. Probably save millions in administration too.

5. Phil57

Phil57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    I'm sure you get more than just your refuse collected.

6. Urien Rheged

Urien Rheged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +864
    Council Tax Benefit is actually being abolished from April 2013.
    It will be replaced with local schemes which authorities are designing as we speak.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  7. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,926
    There are so many people on Council Tax benefit around here because of high unemployment and very poorly paid jobs. Yet compared to England my Tax has continued to rise year on year, this year by 3.1%. It's currently £1050 for a band B. Makes a real dent when your on a pension. No council tax freeze in Wales.

8. tapzilla2k

tapzilla2k
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,788
    Council Tax Benefit cuts are just the easy way for the Government to avoid tackling the problems in the housing market that has pushed rents up and thus Council Tax benefits as well.

As far as Council Tax goes, it's time it's replaced with something else and something that's affordable for the low paid. The Liberal Democrats did have a policy about a local income tax to replace Council Tax, but I don't know if they still do.