Council Run MOT Centres - Seems good to me !!

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by YankTank, Jun 18, 2015.

1. YankTank

YankTank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    My lease car went back a few months ago and I bought an 2007 Mitsubishi - needed an MOT so decided to take to my local council MOT centre - really very positive experience !!

Had a recent bad experience with my wifes car, where my local garage failed her car on seized rear brake callipers...so I authorised them to do the work, but insisted I got the old parts back......10mins later they called back and said..."oh they're OK now, you don't need new ones".......o_O ......very dubious.

Council MOT centre was £35 all in, and it passed 1st time. OK, they can't do work if it needs any, but free retest within 10 days. Because they don't do mechanical work, you don't have to worry about the garage creating work for themselves.

Anyone else had good experience from using council MOT centres?

Kinda wanted to let people know they are out there - takes some worry about being ripped off !!

2. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +12,060
    Had no idea they existed!

3. True Romance

True Romance
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,039
    Always thought a MOT only centre with no repairs would be a good business. At least then you know they're not going to scam you for unnecessary work.

Anyone know what a garage make on an MOT? If they charge £35 how much of that is fees and how much is profit?

4. un1eash

un1eash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,451
    They tend to get good reviews due to the fact they aren't looking to make a profit from failed work. It's pretty easy to pass an mot really if your pro active and look after your car.

5. un1eash

un1eash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,451
    Pretty much the whole £35, think it's only a couple £ for an mot credit on a tester smart card. My mate buys them 100+ at a time.

6. YankTank

YankTank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    It's my experience that MOTS are usually about £49 - granted, you can get discount codes or half price vouchers, but I reckon that that makes you even fairer game for them to rip you off (and feel ok about it !!!!!!!). Cynical I know.....

7. car-man

car-man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,457

All mot centres/garages give free retest within 10 days, at least all the ones I know do.

Did the garage find that the calipers could be freed off instead of being replaced?
    What was the actual failure? You don't get a failure for seized calipers, only brake figures outside limits....there could be other reasons why the figures were outside limits.
    Your garage could well have been perfectly honest with you and not wanting to do a job that didn't need doing.
    If you buy a caliper you will most likely have to return the old caliper to the supplier or pay a hefty surcharge.
    It happens a lot where you think you know what is wrong, but you take a wheel off or look deeper and find another reason for the fault....it doesn't always follow that someone is trying to rip you off.
    I recently had a failure for a handbrake fault on a new customer's Jag....I thought the caliper would need replacing, but it turned out that whoever serviced the car before me had screwed the handbrake adjuster in too far and stopped the lever on the caliper from moving far enough to work the handbrake properly....slackening the handbrake cable, pumping the brake pedal and adjusting the cable again fixed the fault.
    Most mot garages in my area charge £35 for the mot....apart from main dealers who most often charge full price.

8. michaelro

michaelro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +444
    Been using them for last 3 years.

Put a car in that I was going to get rid of to we buy any car as I thought it wouldnt pass and it did so with no advisories so sold privately instead :)

Used them ever since

Only thing is you have to book an appt and cant miss it as they move on if you are late.
    I usually take laptop and work while I wait

9. alistairm

alistairm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The pass fail criteria is the same in council run VTS as it is in a private one, both have been authorised and are monitored by the DVSA. If you feel any test station has ripped you off ask the test station for a VT17 appeal form, fill it in, contact the DVSA (phone number on certificate pass or fail), do no repairs or adjustments to the vehicle and if warranted the DVSA will re-inspect the vehicle free of charge to find out if the test result was valid.

10. YankTank

YankTank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Yes, I get what your saying, and don't suppose this is the place to go into detail, but lets just say they got found out.

I have a another scenario, several years ago with my Fabia - went for its 1st MOT and they failed it on consul bushes - I got two other quotes for the work (as I always do) and the non MOTing garage got the work as they were cheapest - I sent the car in and they called and and asked why I was changing perfectly good parts ! So I paid the re MOT fee to them, and it passed (saved me quite a bit as the labour on bushes was pricey). The point is, I ran the car for another 80k miles, and had it MOT'ed at a few different places and no one ever failed it on consul bushes!!!! So....I guess they never needed doing !

11. YankTank

YankTank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    That sound like a lot of hassle - not sue I have time for all that !!

12. car-man

car-man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,457

As noted in your Fabia situation you don't have to get the garage that mot'd the car to do the repairs....you can take your mot failure certificate then walk away.
    Alistairm makes a very good point...you have recourse to an appeal system....the authorities can close down an mot station that fails or passes vehicles when they shouldn't.
    If you know of an mot station failing to keep up the required standards then report them...no honest mot station or garage likes the fact that there are people around doing dodgy things....it gives all of us a bad name.

13. alistairm

alistairm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    It's no hassle at all, the DVSA will re inspect the vehicle within 48 hours. The only problem is the DVSA re examine the vehicle then take action against the test station if they have fell short of the testing standards, they however cannot help you persue any claim against the garage.
    If the public don't use the MOT appeal system dodgy garages will continue trading unless caught some other way. The vast majority of MOT stations are honest, they value (£) there authority to test to much.

14. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,374
    The council run MOT depot here would get used more if it wasn't in such a horrible/intimidating place.
    Right in the middle of a depot that does refuse etc.
    I can see women finding it particularly intimidating.

15. Lee

Lee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,782
    I also didn't know they existed.

With MOTs now being done on computer, if your car fails then can you keep driving it until the current MOT runs out? I'd think the system would show a failed MOT therefore you'd have no MOT.

16. wongataa

wongataa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    Yes you can keep driving until the previous pass certificate expires (unless of course the car is not roadworthy. If a car is not roadworthy is should not be driven regardless of MOT status.)

The new MOT status only takes over when the previous status expires.

17. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,374
    Hang on...
    If I'm reading this right, Lee is asking what happens if you take your car in for an MOT early and it fails?
    Can you then just 'default' back to the original MOT date and keep going for another month?
    Common sense tells me the answer to that is no.
    You have chosen to 'end' the previous MOT cert early, so you have to abide by whether it fails (or passes) on that date.

18. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,758
    I think you would have to get time to get any repairs made of the vehicle would have to be repaired in situ.
    The date of the pass would be the start of the 12 months to the next MoT of course.

19. car-man

car-man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,457

The mot is valid for 12 months, but can be extended to 13 months if you take the car for mot 28 days before the mot is due and it passes.
    There is nothing in the regulations that states an mot is rendered invalid if you take a car for mot a month early and it fails.
    Whether the car is roadworthy is a Police matter, nothing to do with mot testing unless the mot tester has declared there is a dangerous item or the mot tester refuses to test a vehicle because there is an obvious serious and dangerous defect.

Here is the official view....Getting an MOT - GOV.UK
    Go to the next page for more info.

20. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,359
    My last car failed its MOT on brake pipe corrosion and a snapped suspension coil. I asked them if it was still legal to drive to the auctions and they said while they wouldn't recommend driving it far without doing the work it was still covered by the current MOT so it was legal to take away.

21. alistairm

alistairm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    AMc the issue of a MOT certificate does not mean the vehicle is roadworthy, it means it met the minimum standards at the time of the test, not all of the vehicle is or can be examined.

Also if you knowingly drive a vehicle with a dangerous defect after you have been advised not to by a competent person (e.g. an MOT Tester) you are breaking the law, worse still if you are then involved in a fatal accident you could be up in court for manslaughter.

22. chukwe

chukwe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +465
    How do you get information of your council MOT Centres?

23. YankTank

YankTank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  24. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,359
    Sure - all the brakes worked OK but the pipes showed signs of corrossion so needed work to pass. I had a long conversation with the garage who I used for years and specifically asked if it was dangerous to drive and they said no. I made the auctioneers aware of the failure too so that any purchaser knew that while there was a valid MOT it needed immediate work.
    I drove it from the garage to the auctions and that was it, I wouldn't have put anyone's life at risk especially my own for the £500 it was worth.

25. alistairm

alistairm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Good man AMc.