Council Refuse Collections

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Sebastalona, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Sebastalona

Sebastalona
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,977
    The City of Edinburgh council have made lots of changes recently for waste collection from residential areas. New food waste caddys, general waste collections from weekly to fortnightly, all in a bid to get people recycling more.

However, they have brought in this policy now (which I wasn't even aware of, no letter, email) that if your green general waste bin lid isn't fully closed, they will not take away the waste, and leave a nice little tag on your bin on recycling tips.

I am not on Facebook, but my wife is and there are lots of people up in arms about this. This is a photo of someones bin which wasn't collected:

[​IMG]

It's an absolutely ludicrous, braindead, moronic policy. Fair enough if there are people who clearly do not recycle, but the above example just takes the ****. What do they hope to achieve? That people will begin to recycle when they can't see out there window for a mountain of black bin bags?

Has anyone else's council adopted this policy?

2. Penski

Penski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    I dont know if this is the right way to go about it, but we as a country need to take responsibility for our waste and as most people will not recycle fully voluntarily, they need to find ways to force people to do it.

Slightly open bins.. I agree, seems silly - unless they found recyclable stuff in there?

3. Sebastalona

Sebastalona
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,977
    I completely agree with regards to recycling more, but the red/blue box in this instance clearly suggests that the family are doing there bit.

Excerpt council website:

Collection crews will tag bins that are overfilled, or have bags of waste beside them. We will empty the bins and collect any excess waste on this first occasion. A tag on the bin will remind residents that we will not be collecting additional waste.
    From the 18 Feb, we will not pick up any extra bags of waste beside bins, or service bins if the lid cannot be shut. A tag placed on the bin will inform residents and they will also be sent a letter and a visit will be arranged to provide advice and support on reducing and recycling waste.
    If this continues to be repeated we will issue a written warning letter. Fixed penalty notices will be used as a last resort, when residents have been unwilling to engage with us about how to reduce their waste and make use of their recycling services.

So, it was purely to do with the lid being an inch ajar, despite that fact the family clearly recycle.

4. Jamezinho

Jamezinho
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,353
    Never had a problem with slightly open wheelie bins being refused.

We've had three wheelie bins here for many years - recyclable, general waste and garden waste - collected on alternate weeks. It works quite well and makes you think about what you throw away.

Seems like your council are not handling this at all well.

5. wilbanat

wilbanat
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,541
    Yep
    Leave the bin lid up slightly and we get a red sticker....My one was up less than the one in your picture and they put a sticker on it....
    Heathrow way I am ...Runnymede council.

6. Jamezinho

Jamezinho
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,353
    There needs to be some leniency over this otherwise some people will resort to fly-tipping uncollected waste.

Seems a bit draconian to me.

7. tvbox

tvbox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +813
    When I went to Edinburgh I just didn't like the red and blue receptacles, and how they put cardboard out in the rain.. .what a mess it made.

They need to switch to wheelie bins for recyclables.

8. Foster

Foster
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,176
    we have a wheelie bin for paper/cardboard and a box for tins/bottles. (Wakefield District)

9. 961

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +667
    But is this not just a continuation of the long running argument between Edinburgh City and its binmen? It's been open war, certainly from the days I ran a business in Edinburgh in the 1980s. The Council are completely unable to work out how to remove the refuse in Edinburgh or to come to an arrangement with their workers

In the Borders we have 2 wheelie bins, one for refuse, one for recycling. It works like a dream. My daughter lives in East Lothian, with all the boxes and buckets for different sorts of recycling. Any wind, and the stuff is all over the place. Ludicrous. And, from all accounts, much of the recycling goes into landfill anyway

Bring on the men in white coats!

10. WeegyAVLover

WeegyAVLover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,866
    I live in Glasgow & worked for many years in Edinburgh & while I have my problems with refuge collection in Glasgow it is nothing compared to the problems in Edinburgh.

Edinburgh for long periods has had bin men "working to rule" and has made them doing idiotic things like the OP is complaining (justifiably) about.,. I am not sure if this is still ongoing right now but would not surprise of it is.

The other problem is the residence of Edinburgh especially in the more affluent areas around the city centre which has knock on affects for everyone else in the city.

They wanted to implement massive black wheelie bins on streets to help with storing rubbish but because the residents deemed them "ghastly" & "unsightly" they were not implemented which now means you can walk down the street with black bin bags & their contents strewn across the path & road because of the massive urban fox population has ravished it.

I feel for the OP & the over zealous bin men & council in Edinburgh and feel it will take many years to sort out the problems with refuge in Edinburgh...

Mind you I'm a Weegie... What do I know :)

11. The Dark Horse

The Dark Horse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +847
    Ive heard other people say the council won't collect if the lid isn't shut but I always thought it was a myth as I've left mine like that in the past and never had a problem. How ridiculous. Saying that a few years ago my council refused to take my recycling because I put the plastics in the paper bin, and the paper in the plastics bin, what complete tools some people are. They tip them both into the same truck so what difference does it make !!!!

They want to be thankful they have a job instead of playing god with petty rules that just annoy people for no good reason.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  12. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,351
    Yep I've had to chase the bin me when they refused to collect our bin because the Los wasn't shut....... It couldn't shut because they didnt collect it the week before because it was deemed too heavy!

13. paulyoung666

paulyoung666
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,841
    when we went to one wheelie bin only we got caught out because we still had 2 but only used one of them , had a little nazi come round telling us we were only allowed 1 bin and that we would have to get rid of the extra rubbish ourselves , i let him rant on until i had enough and pointed out to him we were waiting for the council to pick the other one up , he still wanted us to make it disappear until the council came for it :facepalm:

14. 961

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +667
    It's still ongoing. Bit like a forest fire, blazes up now and again. Many consider the council and the bin men deserve each other

Many areas have the large bins. When the wind gets up they set off down the street by themselves (sometimes perhaps helped by visiting fans from other areas taking the brakes off :devil:) and it's quite usual to drive round a corner and meet one of these things coming the other way :eek:

15. nabby

nabby
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,137
    My in-laws live in Midlothian and my father-in-law is a bin-obsessive :)
    I'll have to ask him if he's seen any issues like those described above.

In our area we have no such issues. We get a brown wheelie bin for non-recyclables, a green wheelie bin for recyclables and a small brown caddy for compostable waste.

16. Solar

Solar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    Mass non compliance. I bet if everyone withheld their council tax they would remove their stupid policies in a flash.
    Problem with society today is everyone is scared to challenge them in fear of prosecution and penalties.

Where I used to live if they ever left a bin I would just phone them up to report a missed bin and later that day they would come and collect it.
    Where I live now though they don't seem to give a toss, the bin men told us they will take up to 10 extra bags we leave beside the bin.

17. aVdub

aVdub
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,018
    I've switched from everything in the recycle bin to whatever composts goes in the garden composter.

If that rule did come to my area a few families would suffer as their bins are overflowing on collection day.

18. sparkie1984

sparkie1984
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,066
    My bin lids are always open a good few Inches and my council (Aylesbury vale) collect them fine.

I have to agree with others that they want us to recycle not fly tip etc, but do everything possible to discourage it. As someone else said all that will happen is people fly tip surely that will cost more to clean up than emptying a bin that's 3" open

19. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,818
    This is a stupid policy, had this exact problem once when I lived in Devon. Had a good Spring clean so more rubbish than usual meaning I couldn't quite close the lid down flat, and getting home from work was shocked to find the bin just as I left it, with a sticker as described by the OP on the lid! Great, so now I have a further fortnight to get through with a bin already full, how is that going to help me exactly?:rolleyes:

Ended up having to take an afternoon off from work in order to go to the recycle centre which just seemed so needless over a slightly lifted bin lid.

Somerset council don't seem at all strict on this as I've often seen neighbors lids wedged higher up than my above example and have always been collected no problem.

20. Begonia

Begonia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +647
    I really do think that all councils who accept refuse, should accept it into a properly designed plant - being a plant which has been designed to do the sorting of refuse into all its different components. This would then mean that householders don't have to do it becasue the councils do it for them.

With the current 'half-baked, unprofessional' way of collecting refuse, our streets are being polluted by all the many different horrid looking boxes and bins that clutter up the pavements on 'bin day'. The whole thing is an utter farce!

Park a car near a dropped kerb and they will fine you for creating an obstruction. On bin day, we all block the pavements with our bins. The two do not equate.

And what are these bins full of? They comprise all the wrapping and polycarbonate containers and other such voluminous material that stores and particularly supermarkets foist upon us. No one says anything to them about cutting down packing, do they?

We've just witnessed a masive activity to get supermarkets to cut down on plastic bags. Now most of us take several bags to the supermarkets and tend not to use the non-biodegradable plastic ones any longer. This sort of thing can be achieved and waste can be cut down at source.

For my own part, I lost respect a long time ago for what councils are doing with regards to waste and recycling. I must confess to not participating thoroughly in what they mindlessly expect us to do on their behalf.

I also 'take my litter home'. Many people just don't bother. They chuck it out of the car and dump it on the grass verges. The whole countryside and streets are full of litter. We need a revolutionary mind altering culture change about the place.

I would like to be able to feel respectful about all of it. But for the moment, I just cannot. It's hard to put into words. I do hope you can empathise with just what I feel about it all and what I am trying to say.

21. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,197
    It's just an excuse for bin men not to do their job...and another excuse for our insane local authorities to employ more people in non-jobs, wasting even more money as usual. How much does a "Bin Policeman" make per annum...just to visit people in their home and tell them to take more care when throwing stuff out?

22. MIghtyG

MIghtyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +987
    My folks in Glasgow (South Lanarkshire council) have had this a few times. Its either the bin lid isnt closed enough so they dont collect it then my mum phones them up and they just collect it the next day, seems utterly utterly pointless to me.

Another cracker was 'the blue bin' which is mean to be metals and plastics I think, this was filled to the brim with nothing but metal and plastics but they claimed it wasnt and refused to collect it. The only thing in it 'out of the ordinary' was a couple of offcuts of sheet steel from something my brother was making. So they refused to take the bin because it was filled with some high quality steel, bravo.

Again, phoned them up and they collected it the next day and it was just into a general waste collection rather than a recycling collection. Great job guys.

23. 961

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +667