Council rant

Lee

Reaction score
Am I so angry and pissed off at the council.

My FIL has had a letter saying they are stopping the free telecare type service in 60 days due to cuts. He has a necklace and wristband that has a button on it if he's in trouble. Press the button and someone rings us or the medical service. He's a pensioner and disabled.

You can continue to have the service by contacting the service provider and paying for it.

The letter adds that he could look at claiming attendance allowance benefit to help pay for it. WTF. You couldn't make it up.

A letter saying something like they aren't going to cut the poxy grass on the central reservation as often or streetlights will be going off at times to save money wouldn't be so bad but, NO, lets just keep bashing the elderly or poorer people in the country, way to go.

A Labour council doing it because it makes the Conservative government look bad?

I'm going to contact the council and ask for a breakdown of everything they spend money on but I bet I don't get a detailed breakdown.

Mad.

I am afraid the council is cutting everything it can just to save money, not sure who is guiding them.

I got a letter from the council requesting more money for my Father, he is in a care home with little money to his name and is dependent on what is given to him. I asked for a meeting with them and set out a list of what he pays out, they have now decided after the meeting to lower his charges in what he pays back and can afford. i feel more comfortable now in meeting his bills without using my own money.

He has an emergency line if he needs help, apart from turning up at near midnight meeting two police officers their and finding the ruddy staff playing a board game.

Am I so angry and pissed off at the council.

My FIL has had a letter saying they are stopping the free telecare type service in 60 days due to cuts. He has a necklace and wristband that has a button on it if he's in trouble. Press the button and someone rings us or the medical service. He's a pensioner and disabled.

You can continue to have the service by contacting the service provider and paying for it.

The letter adds that he could look at claiming attendance allowance benefit to help pay for it. what the fudge. You couldn't make it up.

A letter saying something like they aren't going to cut the poxy grass on the central reservation as often or streetlights will be going off at times to save money wouldn't be so bad but, NO, lets just keep bashing the elderly or poorer people in the country, way to go.

A Labour council doing it because it makes the Conservative government look bad?

I'm going to contact the council and ask for a breakdown of everything they spend money on but I bet I don't get a detailed breakdown.

Mad.

Does he claim AAB already?

Does he claim AAB already?
We're not sure. We should be going to see him later so will be checking what he does get.

Thanks for that, much appreciated Axl.

Who do you think forces Local Government (the Council) to make cut backs by reducing their budgets year after year?

Having in the past worked in local government for 15 years, as far as I'm concerned the less a role councils play in our lives the better.

Also , there are apps for mobile , but of course that depends on him being able to use a mobile phone .....

I am afraid the council is cutting everything it can just to save money, not sure who is guiding them.

Central government has slashed council budgets, especially in Labour voting areas. So councils are abandoning discretionary services that they are not legally required to deliver, such as libraries and public transport.

Even where councils are obliged to spend, it is all cuts and cuts and cuts. That is why care homes for the elderly are closing in large numbers, for example. Residents "on the council" are loss makers and those paying their own way simply cannot subsidise all those losses. So the homes close.

If anyone should feel a tongue lashing, look no further than Theresa May's administration as it races to the right at supersonic speed. Like Cameron, she is using the excuse of economic woes to justify the Tory right's desire to withdraw all social spending.

By 2019. Most areas in the UK will see 30% of their council tax going towards pension costs.
It's not all down to cuts.

Well I think you got your answer on Thursday about who the voters wanted in power. Its like this when you max out your credit card it is inevitable that one day you will have to go broke. When you go bankrupt some one else takes over your account and has to balance the books and you have to make adjustments to your way of life. This is what's required to get back in the black, it doesn't happen over night and we all pay for the profligacy of the "Last labour Government". It is a sad fact at the end of each labour government the country has been worse off than when they took office. Nothing is "FREE", the government doesn't have any money, the working tax payers pay.

Happy Christmas

Well I think you got your answer on Thursday about who the voters wanted in power. Its like this when you max out your credit card it is inevitable that one day you will have to go broke. When you go bankrupt some one else takes over your account and has to balance the books and you have to make adjustments to your way of life. This is what's required to get back in the black, it doesn't happen over night and we all pay for the profligacy of the "Last labour Government". It is a sad fact at the end of each labour government the country has been worse off than when they took office. Nothing is "FREE", the government doesn't have any money, the working tax payers pay.

Happy Christmas

its a good job for labour that the Brexit party stood , if they hadn't then I reckon the conservatives would have totally destroyed them , never mind just slightly destroying them lol :eek:

For every winner, there is a loser. Wouldn't it be great if we all benefited by our organisation of society. I'm sorry to say, we all have to look through this through the perspective of our own lives. In good times, we are all more relaxed about being more inclusive. In these times, we all tend to try and look after our own interests. No-one knows what's ahead of us with Brexit especially.
It's not that no-one cares, but people are concerned. That makes it more divisive. Hopefully we will weather the storm and all society can become more inclusive. Maybe wishfull thinking. That's my Christmas wish anyway.

The simple fact is that the retired population is an ever increasing percentage of the population, there are more retirement homes particularly around here.
Add the 2008 banking collapse then just as we get clear of that comes Brexit.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom