1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Couldn't control the urge! just upgraded HS20 to HS50.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Jules, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +754
    I had a moment of madness this morning, and after convincing myself that my 6 month old HS20 was probably not worth upgrading, I went out and bought an HS50. :eek:

Now I know there are lots people on here waiting to here from someone like myself, so I'll bravely give you my initial verdict.

The first thing I noticed was that the this unit really is much quieter than the HS20.... not silent but a vast improvement, and if I'm honest I'd say that was actually the biggest influencing factor for me.

Lense shift proved more useful than I imagined. I switched over the projectors on the ceiling mount, and lense shift catered for all my needs.
    In fact, I was able to get a more 'square on' picture with crisp focus accross the entire screen.

Then, the resolution. This is weird one, as I sit very close to my 6ft Stewart Grayhawk screen, and the HS20 looked very clean, clear and detailed.
    In the nights before, I had zoomed in the HS20 by about 100 pixels to give me an idea of what the reduced resolution would look like, and I was admitedly nervous.
    Well, screen door IS more visible on the HS50 but I moved my chair back a further 1 foot, and visible pixel structure returned to what I was used to.... i.e. none! However the HS20 is clearly superior in this regard.

When fed a progressive component input from my Denon DVD A1, good quality DVD's look much better on the HS50 (more on this later), but poor quality discs (where contrast is not an issue) actually don't look as good.
    I blame slightly inferior scaling combined with the reduction in resolution.

The HS50 is plenty bright enough... my Stewart Grayhawk screen has only a 0.9 gain, and its fine.... in fact its perfect.

Blacks are very dark, but they aren't absolute black... however they are quite a bit darker than the HS20. The dynamic iris works, but not as I had anticapted.
    On a freeze frame of a dark picture, I switched the iris between OFF, ON, and AUTO. OFF is very much like the HS20 ON, ON is a notch darker than the HS20 ON, and auto appears to be no darker than ON but with increased contrast...i.e... brighter.
    I can't quite fathom out what's going on, but it works! It really does make watching films that I would otherwise have disregarded on the HS20, more watchable.
    However, it still has an 'LCD' look about it.... I mean there is still a tiny bit of murkiness in some dark areas, but it is quite a bit better than the HS20.

In fact, I've realised only today that you can watch a picture with a little more screendoor and still be absorbed by it... providing there's enough contrast. But, you can't watch a picture with insufficient contrast without being distracted by the murkiness... regardless of the resolution.

So, with its better contrast the HS50 has to be a better projector.
    If you are easily annoyed by fan noise, then the HS50's appeal becomes very strong.

However, if the primary role for your projector is watching Monster's Inc, and are satisfied with the 28db fan noise of the HS20, then the HS20 is a better projector. I will also miss the motorised zoom and focus on the HS20.

On balance though, where it counts most the HS50 is IMO a worthy successor to the HS20. If you can get for less than £1500 (as I did, but I won't say where from on here), then it is indeed worth it. But I wouldn't pay any more.... it isn't quite that good.

2. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your mad :) Good job you like it though. Interesting thing about the panel res, shame the HS50 doesnt have it.

3. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,036
    Nice review Jules. :thumbsup:

How far do you sit from the screen, and how do you connect the DVD player to the Sony

4. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +754
    The DVD player is connected with a 10metre component cable, similar to the ones Mark Grant sells.
    The primary vewing seat is now 8ft from the screen. No screendoor annoyances at that distance, so I cannot complain.

Anyway I've just had the 2 units running simultaneously, and flicked from HS20 to HS50 using a lense sheild to block all light output from each alternately.
    My conclusion is that the colours on the HS50 are more natural and not as overblown as the already excellent colours on the HS20. The picture feels more realistic.

Side by side, you can see clearly how much brighter the HS20 is.
    I have blackout blinds and dimmable lights and there is no question that with moderate ambient light the HS20 looks better, but drop the lights a little further and the background 'glow' on the HS20 becomes more obvious and the HS50 begins to shine.

I can't really describe seeing an overall significant increase in contrast....but its doing something right and I'll be keeping it for sure.

My HS20 is now in the classifieds.. On account of my madness, someone is going to pickup a bargain.

5. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Jules,

You scenario appears to be similar to other new HS50 owners. It seems that it can take some time for the new machine to warm up and really begin to shine. I am not talking about from switch on, probably over a couple of weeks.

Do report back sometime and lets us know how you are finding the PJ then.

Thanks,

Cap :)

6. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Why have one PJ when you can have 2?

Star man...PJ :thumbsup:

7. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Just had my HS20 decleared written off by Sony. The nice people at Sony are going to replace it with the new shiny HS50.

Anyway I couldnt waite for my replacement to arrive (5-14 days) so I aquired one yesterday and am well impressed, even straight out of the box. Ultra quiet and the black levels are awesome :thumbsup:

So what Im after is what settings are you using for watching DVD's and Sky?

Thanks in advance :D

Jack