1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Couldnt be that lucky, could i?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by spocktra, Dec 4, 2004.

1. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Having swapped recently a 32" tv for another make ,the online trader has failed to collect the original tv.We are talking a lot of dosh here and my account has not been billed twice so where do i stand.?Anyone out there hot on legalities of such a situation? Like how long does it have be in my hands before it is legally mine- to put on ebay ,hee hee.

2. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Why not contact the retailer to remind them.

3. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Spocktra,

I'm no legal-eagle but I think you have to give the supplier written notice (28 days?) to come and collect.

Use recorded delivery etc, so you're fireproof.

You certainly can't just assume the goods are yours, tempting though that may be!

4. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I am hoping paperwork has gone awol.

5. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,427
    This is not a forum where dishonest people are held in high regard, so I wouldn't boast about it if I were you.

6. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    It's people doing things like that which eat into margins and force up prices.

I just had a second copy of a DVD box set sent to me by accident by an online retailer. They got an email about it within 5 minutes. If you don't care about being honest, at least look at the big picture.

7. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Yes you are probably right i will give them a ring,even though i shouldnt have to.

8. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    If you knowingly take/ keep/ refuse to return something that does not legally belong to you then it is legally considered theft.

I previously worked for a mail order catalogue company and human error being what it is payments would occasionally be paid into the wrong account and not be picked up until the person who has received the credit in error has asked for a 'refund' cheque. In 100% of these cases when they refused to return the monies to us we would press charges with the police.

At the end of the day your best bet is to let them know about it and leave it up to them to decide if they want to collect it or are willing to write it off - make sure if they do the latter that they do let you have it in writting. If you were to keep it and use it and they later caught up with you they would probably ask for the original cash value of the item as it will be in 'used' condition and not fit for resale or face criminal charges.

9. TV Headache

TV Headache
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whilst I'm certainly not one to condone dishonesty or theft I really think it's up to retailers (large and small) to have some kind of quality system in place that ensures they carry out all the work which is necessary for them to satisfy customers and stay in business. It's the people who make the mistake at the retailer's side of things who are eating into margins. Why should the burden of responsibility lie with the customer?

10. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Phoned the retailer today and they had no record of the tv.As for my original question i wouldnt have had the bottle to keep the first tv let alone the tongue-pie off the wife.But how about this, if they took two payments instead of one would they find the mistake AND let you know.?

11. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Unlikely - system would probably have 'lost' the exchange and simply put it through as you purchasing 2 seperate TVs.

The mail order company I worked for was based on accounts and so most people 'bought' the replacement and returned the original for the item to be deducted from their account - there was always a substancial number of returns we never received and so the customer paid for 2 but saying that there was also frequently a high number of incidents where the customer was accidently sent items by error and not charged, with the low cost items we sold it was generally cheaper (and better customer service) to let them keep it free of charge than actually pay for someone to collect the item from them - though I did have a number of arguements with people who wanted to send back the item and we told them to throw it away if they didnt want it - some people really dont trust getting things for free

12. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    They have something that doesn't belong to them and as already pointed out, this is backed up by law.

If you disagree that it should, take it up with your local MP and try to get the law changed.

I quite agree companies shouldn't let this kind of thing happen, but who can you point to in this world that never makes a mistake?

13. TV Headache

TV Headache
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The law doesn't need changing, it's the attitude of the businesses concerned that needs changing because so many are complaicent about making mistakes and relying on the law / honest customers to make sure they don't pay for their mistakes. Suppliers have to reckognise that its up to them to run their businesses effectively and efficiently and have quality systems in place to prevent loss to the company (and a load of hassle for the poor old customer) when mistakes do get made.