Question Could you recommend the ideal outdoor setup for social dance?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by awashi, Jul 20, 2015.

1. awashi

awashi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Needs:
    • To be optionally battery powered with decent battery life.
    • Louder than two tethered UE Megabooms (my current setup)
    • Portable (wheels/suitcase style trolley or backpack straps)
    • Relatively durable (shower resistant)
    I'm not sure if I posted this thread in the right forum, but I'm hoping some of you guys can give me recommendations. I can spend up to £500 but less is better as long as it's good quality.

I've been looking at stuff like this but can't vouch at all for it's quality.

2. MemX

MemX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,206
    When you say 'social dance', are you referring to 'tea and scones on the lawn' or 'banging house and bikinis-or-less in the pool'? lol

3. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,305
    Agreed, we need more details. The Devil is always in the details.

For a more casual event, a nice stereo system. For a more out-of-control Rave, then you probably need a PA system.

Depending on where you are, you can rent a small PA, sized according to your needs. Then you need someone to run the system. If that is you - fine. But you have to decide if you want to run the music, or if you want to party. Usually you can't do both.

The alternative is to hire a DJ, with or without equipment. Just make sure he understands the type of music you want to listen to, and that he has that music on hand.

Next what is the source of your music. By that I mean - Computer, CD Player, Turntable, Streaming Music, etc...?

If some type of computer based music, you can set up play lists that can play for an extended period of time. Usually you can move songs around on the play list, so if the mood of the room shifts, you can move more appropriate song to the top of the list.

Also, the idea of a battery powered system is weak. Not impossible but weak. It is hard to get any real power from batteries. Even Cars use a converter to setup the voltage so they can have higher powered amps. But Cars have almost unlimited current, so they can afford to step up the voltage without penalty. However, running from ordinary batteries is difficult. If you draw high current, you get short battery life. If you reduce the current, you get longer battery life, but less power.

Like I said, we need many more details to make any determination about what you might want or need.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  4. awashi

awashi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi BlueWizard, thank you for such a comprehensive reply. Answers below:

Social dance as in Forró (see here). Actually for exactly this environment. This is the kind of music and scale of the event. 2 megabooms can cover it, but they have to be on max volume the whole time so die after about 4 hours.

In terms of music source, I have a laptop and an audio interface for when I want to DJ, or an iPad set up to do more of a set and forget playlist, but yes to being able to change where it's called for.

A friend of mine runs what I think is one of these which seems adequate, but if there's something a bit better or more highly recommended, I'm all ears. I can still return the Megabooms if this could replace their purpose (though I do like the idea of them as a backup). Battery power is really important for running events in the park even though I realise this is a limiting factor.

Please let me know if you need any further details.

5. samsungderby

samsungderby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +310
    Try the JBL Eon series you wont go wrong.