Could you give up your smartphone?

martylaa

Could you?
I remember the days when I had a phone and all it did was make calls or texts. No staring all day long checking emails, buying online, constantly charging it, being to scared to drop it, the cost of the handset, constant updates, whether I could get 3G and forever watching people in cafés, bus stops, shops just staring at a phone...
I am seriously thinking about giving up my smartphone and going back to a old Nokia 8210. That way I won't feel guilty when checking an email about some pointless offer when my daughter is with me...

D

Deleted member 686356

Could I? Yes, if I had to. Would I? No, not without a good reason. I don't think you realise just how much smartphones can come in handy until a situation arises where having one proves to be very beneficial. If you are somewhere you've never been before and you want to find the nearest supermarket, for example. They are also very good boredom killers, which is of course a big plus if you are waiting in a queue or on a long train ride. The downside is that they seem to be making us more anti-social, which is ironic really, and encouraging more carelessness. I'm guilty of both accounts myself, having almost bumped into people because I was immersed in my phone or checking emails etc in the presence of family or friends.

But if I were to go back entirely to an ultra basic handset now I would feel as though I'd lost a limb, and I would probably run into numerous situations which would exacerbate that. I have a Samsung E1170 which I keep as a back up phone. It is a very simple handset, it has no camera, no internet connectivity, no multimedia playback etc, it calls and texts and that is pretty much it. As it's only a spare then this isn't a problem, but to use it as my primary phone would take a lot of adjusting.

Dodgy_Geezer

Easily. In fact, I just have after a trip abroad. Was using a bog standard basic Nokia I got for 30 quid and it's great. Battery lasted a week, had a basic camera, handled all my calls and sms and the signal strength was stellar. It was also nice to have a phone that just works without any swiping crap and extra fluff.

Completely see where you are coming from martylaa, I'm fed up of trying to get 3G, constantly checking emails, browsing on a tiny screen because I'm too lazy to open a laptop and then getting annoyed that it's too slow, being surrounded by drooling idiots all stuck into their smartphones and not talking to each other. These days, rather than responding to an email or chat, I prefer to pick up the phone and just call.

There's an article about this very thing (see Rise of the retro phone: Trend for app-free bulky mobiles means some 1990s models are fetching up to £800 | Mail Online) about how people are turning to retro phones. SOme of the limited editions are changing hands for stupid money.

Kailash

its very easy to get stuck looking into your phone all day, i try to be conscious of it when with people.
i wouldn't give it up though, just try to be less antisocial with it

RoadsterUK

I've been without a smartphone now for 14-15 months, will be getting a new one this summer.

No email communication (which could be a good and a bad thing).

oakie

Im still rocking a nokia n95 it looks like a brick and is built like a tank - more of a feature phone than dumb phone though as it has wifi 3g and a 5mp camera that still measures up against many modern smart phone cameras. Amazing to think in the time i have had this phone nokia have gone from hero to pretty much zero in the mobile phone world.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom