Could Tony Blair make a comeback in UK Politics?

Sonic67

Banned
No. No money in it. Or not the amount he would be interested in.

loz

Distinguished Member
True.
But interesting that in the US for example, it is only when you have loads of money that you then go into politics.

Could it be he has made enough money, but thinks there is an opportunity to perhaps redeem himself for past errors by saving the nation and giving us a golden era of prosperity (not that I am suggesting he can, but he might think he can). I think he is still motivated by wanting to become one of the 'greats', and could have been if he hadn't made a couple of mistakes...

I bet he would love to have a bronze statue in the house of commons alongside the likes of Thatcher and Churchill, and not just a bust as currently planned.

Last edited:

BomoLad

Blair's only political 'mistake' was Iraq. You may disagree with him on other issues, as I do, but that was the only real damaging decision he ever took. Even after that he managed to comfortable win an election. He wasn't known as Teflon Tony for nothing.

I have issues with Blair's premiership as much as the next person but to say he was anything other than a leader who could avoid tarnish by association with crisis, would be wrong. The man save for Iraq had 10 years in Downing Street largely unscathed, which by any standard is quite remarkable and I'd venture completely unique.

He may not have been the reformer that Thatcher was nor the pioneer of Atlee, but he managed to stay in the position for more than 10 years and save for one decision on international affairs, maintained remarkable popularity throughout.

If not for Iraq the 2005 election would have likely been another three-figure majority. The disappointment, from my point of view, came in how little he eventually did with it. However to his credit the 2005 and 2010 elections were the first that I think there has been since the organisation's foundation, that the NHS or future of played virtually no part. That is often unspoken but I think to his credit.

domtheone

Distinguished Member
No. No money in it. Or not the amount he would be interested in.

:laugh:

He probably wouldn't even get out of bed for an MP's salary now.

Don't think the country would stomach him either.

Better off without his kind.

karkus30

Banned
BomoLad said:
Blair's only political 'mistake' was Iraq. You may disagree with him on other issues, as I do, but that was the only real damaging decision he ever took. Even after that he managed to comfortable win an election. He wasn't known as Teflon Tony for nothing.

I have issues with Blair's premiership as much as the next person but to say he was anything other than a leader who could avoid tarnish by association with crisis, would be wrong. The man save for Iraq had 10 years in Downing Street largely unscathed, which by any standard is quite remarkable and I'd venture completely unique.

He may not have been the reformer that Thatcher was nor the pioneer of Atlee, but he managed to stay in the position for more than 10 years and save for one decision on international affairs, maintained remarkable popularity throughout.

If not for Iraq the 2005 election would have likely been another three-figure majority. The disappointment, from my point of view, came in how little he eventually did with it. However to his credit the 2005 and 2010 elections were the first that I think there has been since the organisation's foundation, that the NHS or future of played virtually no part. That is often unspoken but I think to his credit.

The entire Labour period was one big mistake. I voted for those clowns. I can remember the feeling of hope and excitement. A few months later it was all gone and normal service resumed.

Sonic67

Banned
???
Off the top of my head:
Bernie Ecclestone - been granted an exemption from Tobacco advertising after giving a labour party donation. David Kelly, dodgy dossiers, trying to bring in terror laws to lock people up for long lengths of time without a trial, cash for honours, links with Murdoch, probably a lot more.

NewMan

???
Off the top of my head:
Bernie Ecclestone - been granted an exemption from Tobacco advertising after giving a labour party donation. David Kelly, dodgy dossiers, trying to bring in terror laws to lock people up for long lengths of time without a trial, cash for honours, links with Murdoch, probably a lot more.

Indeed - doesn't he have the dubious honour of being the first (and only) sitting Prime Minister to be questioned by police under caution for that little scheme?

D

Deleted member 13294

I agree that Iraq was his only major mistake. He was a skilled politician and managed to avoid the sort of issues that blighted John Majors premiership, despite on the face of it the issues being just as serious. And whereas we may blame Brown for a lot of the issues with Labour overspending, it was Blair who was PM for most of that period.

It shouldn't be forgotten he was (I believe) the first PM to be interviewed by police in connection with criminality. Although of course nothing was proven and there were never charges.

The greatest failing of Blair is his failure to grasp the opportunity he had in 1997. A massive majority, huge public goodwill and a strengthening economy were large wasted IMHO.

loz

Distinguished Member
The thing is, for all his flaws and mistakes - however many there were - I think the Labour party would still be doing better and have greater credibility, and at least a plan and a vision, with him than with the current lot. (which perhaps only demonstrates just how poor the current lot are...)

I am not saying I like Blair or would vote for him. But I know I would never vote for the current Labour party and its current inept leadership.

D

Deleted member 13294

loz said:
By Gordon Brown...

Blair was the leader. He could have faced Brown down instead of taking the easy way out and putting up with him.

karkus30

Banned
Squiffy said:
Blair was the leader. He could have faced Brown down instead of taking the easy way out and putting up with him.

Or, he was the consummate politician and handed Brown a primed bomb. The UK, one careful owner, cheap runabout.

D

Deleted member 13294

karkus30 said:
Or, he was the consummate politician and handed Brown a primed bomb. The UK, one careful owner, cheap runabout.

Blair was a consummate leader, which is why his reputation is not as damaged as it would otherwise be.

But the way he chose to help protect his reputation meant he wasn't as bold in office as he could have been.

la gran siete

Distinguished Member
Id like to see him make a comeback as he would make Cameron look like the pygmy he truly is, but very much doubt he will As leaders go I thought he was far better than Thatcher as well

pragmatic

Distinguished Member
Blair is a good time leader, he never really faced a crisis. He could have done things a lot worse (Foot) but he could also have done things a lot better.

icstm

history will find that during the blair/brown era, blaire acted like a president on the world stage whilst brown as PM ran the country and held the purse strings.

pandemic

But the way he chose to help protect his reputation meant he wasn't as bold in office as he could have been.

But that is essentially what made him so successful and why he won 3 terms, brilliant at deflecting blame. He was pretty bold in the first term, even getting one over on Clinton and forcing him to take action in Kosovo.
Think I've mentioned it before, but I quite enjoyed Blair's term till around 2003 and not because of Iraq (I agreed with the war at the time).

BomoLad

???
Off the top of my head:

The first scandal is one he brushed off by saying "I'm a straight forward kind of guy"

If that isn't a politician who could do little wrong with the electorate throughout much of his time in office, I don't know what is.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

HiFi Rose announces all-in-one RS520 audio streamer
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
LG Display set to launch its own 27 and 32-inch OLED panels in 2023?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts