Could this be the ultimate M3 ?

Mylo

Hate to say, but I think it's a terrible waste. A stock M3 is a beautifully balanced car and not exactly slow from what I've seen. That massive lump is surely going to upset the way the car drives.
:(

However if it was in a Touring chassis, I think it would be a brilliant sleeper car.

loonatic

True...I guess it's like a lot of things...sounds great on paper but maybe in reality not all that was hoped for.

Perhaps that's why it's for sale.

Give me a stock M5 anyday...M3's are just too small for me :D

Cheers, Lee

Mylo

I think it's one of those unwritten car laws Lee ;), certain cars shouldn't be messed with.

The new M5 is gorgeous isn't it, just need to sell my home to buy one :rotfl:

Kazman

Drove an M3 the other day, lurrrrvly. The owner had it breathed on a little too, so this was a bit of a stormer. Loved it, throttle response is superb, I've driven turbo cars for so long now I'd forgotten how satisfying quick sharp throttle response was. (Although I still prefer the mid range laziness of a large engined turbo motor :) ).

Handling was also brilliant, enjoyed it immensely, and to be honest, it doesn't really need much more power or re-engineering, it's just fine the way it is.

wells

Standard Member
The M5 uses a 5.0 V10 not a V8.

adrianwi

The new one does - the old one has a V8 as described.

sjj84

It wasn't a standard M3 to begin with, it was a CSL. I believe the interior has been finished off now, since those photos were taken. As for the weight issue, isn't the M5 engine aluminium, so weight shouldn't be alot more than the standard engine. It's what they use in the racing cars, so I should imagine that it works quite nicely.

loonatic

Well it's up to over £60k now :eek:

Is it really worth that much ? how much is a standard CSL ?

Cheers, Lee

Joe90sDad

Banned
I'm sure they've done a lot of work but what does it actually drive like? Nothing is mentioned.

And for a company that have spent thousands of pounds on the car, at least use a digital camera with more than 1 megapixel!

runningback

Standard Member
what mylo said, buy a stock M3 and smile whilst you're driving it and on the way to the bank.
If i want something more special and rare i'd buy an Alpina, at least i know whatever they do to a car is BMW approved and of real high quality.

sjj84

A standard new csl cost £60K, low milage ones can be brought from bmw dealers for low 30's now.

Mylo

I never said it wasn't special, just in my opinion a bit of a waste.

Building a monster spec car is one thing, the Japanese are famous for getting 1000Bhp out of turbo Supras et al, doesn't meant they drive any good. The level of engineering envolved to marry all the parts together is impressive .

Maybe it is one of the best M3 specials ever though ;)