1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

could this be an amp problem?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Jacobite, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Jacobite

Jacobite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - I hope someone can help.

I have a home cinema system and route my Sky, DVD player and VCR though an amp (I did have an X:BOX in there too, but it didn't seem to like co-existing in the same scart box as the video out from the AMP).

Thing is, after watching Sky for a while - say 30 mins - the picture begins to break up and the colours go. As I say this only seems to happen after I've watched if for a while. If I turn the system off and try it again the following day, it's fine.

Funny thing is, that I can watch an entire DVD, it's fine. I know it's not the Sky box because the picture is fine in all the other rooms.

Any ideas?

cheers

j.

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,988
    First thing to do is pull the relevant cable out of the amp, and shove it directly into the TV. And watch for ~30 minutes.

If the breakup recurs - the problem is likely to be in the $ky box.

Next thing to do is take the video cable for one of the OTHER sources out of its socket on the amp, and shove it in the one you currently use for $ky.

If the $ky problem now occurs with the other source - it indicates a problem with this input on the amp - maybe a dry solder joint that is breaking contact as the amp warms up.

If the $ky problem does not occur with the other source - that would tend to point back at the $ky box, but with less certainty than test 1.

3. Jacobite

Jacobite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for taking the time to answer.

I'm pretty sure it's not the Sky box because the signal seems fine in the other rooms (I am in a new house fitted with inter-room connectivity).

Here's a question. Though the Sky box DI's into the AV amp, I take the feed from the amp to the TV's scart using only the video cable of a standard red/white/yellow connector. The other two, I just tie back. With all the wires back there, could there be interference?

j.