Could these speakers still work?

Xoanon

Standard Member
To put it simply, I need help :p

A couple of years ago I got a Philips HTS3115, unfortunately it no longer works (the DVD player anyway).

What I'd like to know is this...

As the speakers are fine, would it be possible to just cut off the Philips connectors and use these speakers with an AV amp? The AV's I've been told to consider are the Yamaha RXV465 or the Onyko TXSR507. I'm also tempted with the Sony STRDH800.

IF it's only possible that some of the speakers would be useable, that's also fine. I'm basically after this as a temporary measure until I can afford something better, so advice on replacements for non-useable ones is also appreciated (max budget £150 total I'm afraid :().

I'm not exactly technically minded, but if it is possible and simple then it will save me MUCH hassle! The specs for the speakers, according to Philips, are as follows:

SPEAKERS
FRONT speakers
System: 2-way, closed box system
Impedance: 8 Ω
Speaker drivers: 1 x 76mm (3”) woofer
Frequency response: 120 Hz –20 kHz
Dimensions: 249.8 x 1104 x 249.8 (mm)
(w x h x d - height includes speaker stand)
Weight: 3.3 kg/each

REAR speakers
Impedance: 8 Ω
Speaker drivers: 1 x 76 mm (3”)” woofer
Dimensions: 100 x 359 x 99 (mm) (w x h x d)
Weight: 1.15 kg/each

CENTRE speaker
Impedance: 4 Ω
Speaker drivers: 1 x 76 mm (3”)” woofer
Dimensions: 239 x 99.6 x 69.4 (mm) (w x h x d)
Weight: 0.72 kg

SUBWOOFER
Impedance: 4 Ω
Speaker drivers: 152 mm (6”) woofer
Frequency response: 30 Hz –120 Hz
Dimensions: 194 x 266 x 339.5 (mm)(w x h x d)
Weight: 3.64 kg

Last edited:

DolbyDan

The fronts and rears are fine to, but the centre at 4 ohms might be a problem, the sub unfortunally is no good if its passive (has not got a built in amplifier).

Use the fronts and rears as stop gaps until you can afford some more speakers.

Xoanon

Standard Member
Wonderful :)

So all I need to do is cut off the connectors and bare the wires? Oh, and take note of which is +ve I assume?

Or is it more complicated? :rolleyes:

What would be the problem with the centre one, just not work or likely to break something? What I mean is, is it worth trying?

Possibly this is a stupid question, but I don't know anything about how these things work...

Exactly *what* difference would not having a sub make? I know it's designed for bass, but am I better buying one to run temporarily or will it sound reasonably ok without?

Same applies to the centre really I think!

Thanks for any further info :)

andy1249

Distinguished Member
Exactly *what* difference would not having a sub make? I know it's designed for bass, but am I better buying one to run temporarily or will it sound reasonably ok without?

The front and rears have a Freq response going from 120hz upwards , so comparing that to ordinary stereo speakers , which would go say , from 40hz upwards , you are missing all the bass frequencies , so they are going to sound pretty thin , especially with music.

Xoanon

Standard Member
Ah, fair enough, that makes sense :D

How about the centre one, does it make a difference and is it worth trying?

And is it going to break anything if I do try it!

andy1249

Distinguished Member
most receivers can handle 4 - 8 ohm speakers with no issues , its only the odd values they cannot handle , some all in one systems have impedance values as low as 2-3 ohms , they would cause trouble , but you should have no problem with that center speaker.

The Power rating on all of those speakers is going to be low compared to the max power output per channel on most av receivers though , so be very careful with the volume control.

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
Of the amps you've listed, only the Onkyo 507 can handle 4 ohm speakers according to their specs. You have to tell the Onkyo that you are using 4 ohm speakers in the setup menu (or a switch, not sure which). This assumes you are in the UK ---- in other countries, the same reciever is specified as having a lowest impeadance of 6 ohms.

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom