Could the wii be region free?

fizzgog

i really hope that this is true.
i will still be getting a UK wii but it means that i can get my games earlier from wherever i like.
...pete

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Sounds very promising, especially for me as I'll more than likely be importing the Wii console from Asia or the US anyway. Would like to still be able to buy games from the AVForums Classified section so this would be perfect!

fizzgog

Tetlee said:
Sounds very promising, especially for me as I'll more than likely be importing the Wii console from Asia or the US anyway. Would like to still be able to buy games from the AVForums Classified section so this would be perfect!
do you think that it will be possible to go online (gameplay and virtual console) in the UK with a foreign machine?
thanx
pete

Solar

yes, its just code based, not hardware. Take the Ds for example
it just depends if they want to write it in or not

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
fizzgog said:
do you think that it will be possible to go online (gameplay and virtual console) in the UK with a foreign machine?
thanx
pete

I would certainly think so, there are alot of people in the UK with foreign Xbox/Xbox360's that play online. I have a UK PAL Xbox360 and brought it with me to Argentina, works just fine here on Live(thankfully!).

barijohn

I could be wrong but I remember reading that the Wii was being released in Europe either 1 week before USA and Japan or 1 week later.

Not really importing if this is the case which why it might be region free.

not long to go though!!! :clap: :clap:

fizzgog

barijohn said:
I could be wrong but I remember reading that the Wii was being released in Europe either 1 week before USA and Japan or 1 week later.

Not really importing if this is the case which why it might be region free.

not long to go though!!! :clap: :clap:
i agree, if the release dates are so close together and they wiis are region free then it makes sense to buy a uk machine for the peace of mind of a warranty. i can't wait.
pete

Nemesis X2

Distinguished Member
That could be a great touch, and another selling point for the machine. I can see a lot of people getting the 360 for power and the Wii for innovation, for the best of both worlds, instead of paying about the same for a PS3.

barijohn

dgibbs said:
That could be a great touch, and another selling point for the machine. I can see a lot of people getting the 360 for power and the Wii for innovation, for the best of both worlds, instead of paying about the same for a PS3.
Currently that is my thinking. However I just can't get excited about the 360 as there are no games jumping out and saying buy me! (IMO)

Now already looking forward to Zelda, Mario, Sports Game and hopefully a good light sabre game. :clap:

eddidaz

Although that would be great, it would be a very bold move from Nintendo.

Handhelds are always region free. The bloke might have been on about the older games we'll be downloading.

fizzgog

eddidaz said:
Although that would be great, it would be a very bold move from Nintendo.

Handhelds are always region free. The bloke might have been on about the older games we'll be downloading.
i read in a nintendo magazine today that the wii will almost certainly be region locked - gutted.
pete

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom