Could speakers for a MBP fill a room 19' x 19' ??

hot-fuzz

Ex Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

To cut a long story short, im getting a 2011 MBP and want to see if i can get speakers to fill an office (19'x19').
Not too fussed if its 5.1 or 2.1, but not sure if

a. The MBP could drive speakers powerful enough.
b. There are actually speakers out there that can run off 3.5mm connection and produce enough sound.

I want to run an MBP speakers with the possiblity of having an ipod connected at different times.

Any thoughts ?
Ta

Last edited:
either amplified speakers or do it properly and get proper speakers and an amplifier. It also depends on your reference position. Depends on what else is in the room, in my experience with such a large room id got for decent floor standers and an amp for sound quality. But if just want it filled some powered event speakers on tripod style stands can do the job.

If you went down the amp/speakers route, you could throw in an AirPort Express (refurbs from the Apple store cost £56) and stream direct to the amp from the MBP, if you were so inclined. Could also stream from an iPod (assuming it's a Touch with latest firmware), meaning no need for it to be physically connected.

Wow, cheers.
So many options now. I saw the Airport Express which would be very handy.
I think an amp is a bit too much as that will add to the cost, something im trying to keep under £300.

Cheers for the input.

Cheers for that.
The amp looks good, but need smaler speakers to be put up high out of the way.

Nice.

I hear the need but would watch with that if the room is really 19'x19' you will need to move some air to fill that :smashin:

Done it.
Hooked up my MBP2011 wirelessly using and Airport Express plugged into the back of a pair if AudioEngine A5's

Absolutely superb. Very loud, superb clarity and works flawless.
The A5's are very good quality. Heavy as hell, loads of available connections, loads of spare cables including usb extension, couple of 3.5mm cables and l+r extension to 3.5mm, and it all comes in separate suede bags.
Thanks for the suggestion, i am very happy.

I have the A2s and if you are planning on putting on a shelf that wont take much load these are ideal, i can vouch for the sound too, its incredibly clear, just doesnt go below ~50Hz, so not ideal for bangin' electro music, fantastic for everything else though

Marcos said:
I have the A2s and if you are planning on putting on a shelf that wont take much load these are ideal, i can vouch for the sound too, its incredibly clear, just doesnt go below ~50Hz, so not ideal for bangin' electro music, fantastic for everything else though

Cheers.
Mainly going to be playing classical or family friendly pop :thumbsup:

Lovely :)

Cheers.
Mainly going to be playing classical or family friendly pop :thumbsup:

Lovely :)

Yeah they'll lap that up.

I bought from itemaudio.co.uk btw, really happy with the service

Glad to hear it. Not had a chance to put it in the large room yet.
I got mine from AdvancedMP3players as i got Quidco and free delivery, so not much less than you.
Went for black even though i love the look of white.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom